PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-28-2009, 01:59 PM #1
dapperdan21

THANK YOU Airborne Commander Smiley

Hi all,

Forgive me, but I have to tell what happened to me and my son. This was my first ION and I decided to bring my 13 year old son, Bryan, along ever since he began playing paintball this year and he really enjoyed it. The extent of our paintball adventures included small gathering s of eight to twelve guys. We mostly played with guns and equipment you would buy from Walmart. I shoot a T Storm and my son uses my Talon pump that runs on 12 gram cartridges. All I can say is we had no idea how intense this weekend was going to be for us. Unfortunately, it was not all fun for us. There were a few scary moments. The worst was what happened to Bryan, my son.

On Saturday, after the beach assault my son and I already had some marks on us from getting shot. I would have to say at this point, this was the most we had ever been shot playing paintball and I loved it. Bryan on the other hand, was timid and the massive firefights scared him. He still wanted to play, but Bryan asked if we could find smaller groups, so I went to the mission bunker where the guy dressed like a goofy cow said we could tag along with the 101st Airborne to the back of the field to guard a flag.
We hiked out to the back end of the field avoiding the huge fire fights and keeping very quiet. My son was in awe over the man leading us. His Allied tag said he was the Airborne commander. He was a sight to see with this huge gun that stood as tall as my son and he looked like he saw one too many wars with the way he wore his mask.

Somewhere in the back field, a whole division of German players inserted in front of us. The Airborne commander told us to stop and get down and wait for the Germans to pass. I assume this was because we were outnumbered by a hundred or so Germans. The Germans did not head our way and kept walking away from us. We stood up and started to walk in the same direction with caution. The Airborne commander instructed us to form a defensive half circle facing the direction the way the Germans went as we walking. We walked slowly for a couple of minutes, and then we heard the roar of German players running towards us. For some reason, they were running towards us. The Airborne commander told us to hold tight and start backing up, but by then panic set in and everyone fell back 50 yards as the Germans charged and engaged us.

The horror of the situation did not become reality until I noticed my son Bryan missing. In the hasty withdrawal, he panicked and froze behind a makeshift bunker of a fallen tree and brush. The German players knew he was there and they were overshooting his position with a ton of paint. All I could here was my son yelling for help. There weren’t any referees or medic refs. Noone there to pull my son out of the line of fire.

The airborne commander told us to shoot at the German line that was now just a wall of players infront of us to distract them from my son. Then the airborne commander said stay here and ran away from us as if he was retreating. I even called him a “coward” for leaving us and I yelled at the German players to leave my son alone, but I that got me shot multiple times. Even though my son had been shot multiple times, he could not get out of where he was curled up because the German players were still dumping a ton of paintballs at him.

Then something wonderful happened. The entire left flank of the German line just fell in a blaze of paintballs. We watched in awe for a second and then pressed forward on the German attackers. It was a sight to see. More than half of the German attacking line fell and the rest turned ran at the sight of this monster of player…the allied airborne commander…who really did not retreat, but flanked the a superior attacking force and eliminated more than half by himself.

As the German attackers fled, the airborne commander ran over to my son’s position and grabbed him by his shirt and pulled him to safety laying down cover fire to suppress and remaining attackers. He guided my son to me since his facemask was dripping with paint and he couldn’t stop shaking. I wanted to get my son off the field and most of us had been shot up pretty bad. The Airborne commander guided us to the boundary and we left the field. By the time we were off the field, and had our barrel plugs in, I turned around to say thank you for saving my son, but the commander was gone. Extremely sore and overshot, we went home shortly after.

I never did get to thank the Airborne commander. I thought all of the commanders are employees of Skirmish but I was corrected when I tried to contact Skirmish. I was also told that the Airborne commander was a guy named Smiley. I tried to email with no reply and I wanted to PM him on here but for some reason I can not find out how to write a new message.
Basically, I want to thank you Smiley taking good care of us players. Thank you for getting my son to safety. I owe you a beer.
Sincerely,
Dan Brughes

P.S. I want get a gun like yours. What is the name of it and where can I buy one just like it?

Last edited by dapperdan21 : 07-28-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: "no reply"
Old 07-28-2009, 03:37 PM #2
Ac!d
Don't be a hater. LOL

Smiley's gun is totally customized, you can't buy it. He's probably the craziest mo fo I've ever met. That's a kick *** story too.

Ball 'till I Fall

"Originally posted by EKKsoldier622: This sport is all about who you know"
"Originally posted by washington: on a scale of 1 to bamf, what am i"
"Originally posted by DayoftheGreek: Tasteless indeed, as all good humor should be."
Old 07-28-2009, 06:13 PM #3
Grazi
Hoagies...Ya hoagies

Grazi is playing at Living Legends V
Grazi owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Grazi owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Grazi supports Team VICIOUS
Interesting story to hear for sure! I played for the Germans this year but I know we can call agree that the most important thing is that everyone is safe while having fun. This is a game after all.

Hopefully you two come back again to play!

I'll make note of this however and make sure skirmish knows they need more refs in those areas. I know right where you were talking about it.
MVP: ROME 2045 ~ French Indian War 2854
Old 07-28-2009, 10:10 PM #4
dstanley753
XOXO ~ Mad Hatter

dstanley753 posts videos on PbNation
dstanley753 supports our troops
dstanley753 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dstanley753 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
dstanley753 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I've only had the honor to oppose Smiley on the field and only met him in person, but his reputation as a strong ethical player is known by many. APG actually did an article on him a couple months back. That's how I learned his name even though I had seen him a few times. Definitely an asset to our sport!

GraveDiggersPaintball
Team Elder/ SGT at ARMS
Old 07-29-2009, 12:52 PM #5
The Ram

Koodos to smiley who also got us the tickets to get into ION. I was the head of the three man team that paid in Sunchips!

People don't think it be how it is, but it do! Oscar Gamble

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he did not exist.Kaiser Soze
Old 07-29-2009, 08:15 PM #6
Ac!d
Don't be a hater. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG
October 25, at 9:00 a.m. Smiley lumbered onto the soggy field with his 40 pound hog he calls "Melody". On his back he carried a customized PMI-3. - Opening his damp trench coat, he revealed a custom harness holding 1200 paintballs, plus 2 spare satchels of 700 balls each. In a seperate satchel he had two spare 20 ounce CO2 tanks for his 'HOG' plus smokegrenades, a tool ouch for teching gear on the fly, four Nelspot 007 paintpistols, and a customized Sheridan VM-68. "Are you taking on the Germans by yourself?" joked one of the British Commanders.

Ball 'till I Fall

"Originally posted by EKKsoldier622: This sport is all about who you know"
"Originally posted by washington: on a scale of 1 to bamf, what am i"
"Originally posted by DayoftheGreek: Tasteless indeed, as all good humor should be."
Old 07-29-2009, 08:45 PM #7
Bfett1326

If you want to get a hold of Smiley, you can go to our webpage at

www.merrybandofbrothers.com

and follow the link to the forum.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:20 PM #8
infamoussmiley
Infamoussmiley

Dan,
I am sorry that happened to you and your son out there on sat of ion. It sucks and it was a bad situation that happen frequently at big games. The trick is knowing what to do when the poo hits the fan. Honest though, there is no reason to thank me. Any responsible player should look out for teammates.

Since you are close to us, you are welcome to come to the plays we throw together to get some experience. we will gladly got you ready for the next ion.

btw, Melody is here name and she's custom made of pig iron and brass with a bycycle kick stand - all 44 lbs fully loaded.

Smiley
Old 08-05-2009, 03:17 PM #9
infamoussmiley
Infamoussmiley

hi,
I tried to send you a PM, but you do not have an account set up. Please go to the MBOB forum that Tim gave the link for and catch me there by PM.

Smiley