Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 05:04 PM #85
D3AGL3_PBALLER
CN's Finest
 
D3AGL3_PBALLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hollywood
 has been a member for 10 years
D3AGL3_PBALLER posts videos on PbNation
D3AGL3_PBALLER has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
D3AGL3_PBALLER has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
D3AGL3_PBALLER has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact Ir3 03 View Post
I Said you should take out D4-D5 even D3 leave it as D2 and better. All these divisions are bull**** anyways. You want to get better play better teams. Why and in fact practice better teams. If you cant play at that level then dont play its not like your hurting these tournaments being that how many teams showed up to play in the USPL. You have a pump division who gives a **** about pump. Go play in the woods. There just costing themselves more money. Make it simple if its too start off with. Meaning, as everyone is saying its the beginning ok if it is. Have Pro, Semi, D1, D2 get started there and then move on too other divisions if needed. But if you can't fill 20 spots then what point would a D3 serve. I rather go to a tournament and play better teams and if I lose I do but atleast I know I'm getting better. So when I go home and play local I've made myself better.
Are you serious? The teams that play pump are probably as consistent about attendind these tournaments as the PRO teams. I would venture to say that the pump division is the only division that consistently delivers a set amount of teams. We travel cross country consistently to attend. Jacksonville, St. Louis, Dallas, Sacramento, Las Vegas, WHATEVER! We play ball, and if you ever doubt it, you can bring your team into our division and test it for yourself. There is no rookie division for pump, you start at PRO.

The lower division teams are what carry a tournament series. For the most part (dont know what happened this last event) tournament series have 4-5 times more teams in D3 than in any other division. They are usually the ones paying the bills. This year the problem is sponsorships. Companies are cutting down so much they are making it so that teams cant play. Specifically in the paint industry. Getting a paint sponsor isnt anywhere near as easy as it used to be, not that it ever has been.
__________________
D3AGL3_PBALLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2009, 05:16 PM #86
rdny
.
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Carlsbad, CA
rdny is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
rdny is a Professional paintball player
rdny donated to help Peyton Trent
There are a ton of issus to address here... to get to a few of them the industry really took a hit when the NPPL decided to file BK. The league really changed a few years before that when the HB event and the NPPL raised the prices across the board. The years previous HB and other events sold out in hours. After the prices were raise the numbers started the drop off. This could have also been the start of the weaking economy that none of us or the industry saw coming. If people remember at that time the NPPL was king the 7-man format was on top and the PSP was going to fall apart.
The NPPL sold to the Pacific group and they spent money like our government is right now. The money on rent, salaries, office funiture and so many other items was out of control. In hind site if they had of run the company on a budget and worked more with the players and teams they might have still been around. However they were blinded by the dreams and hopes of a TV deal or some super buyout by a big company paying millions. (Any one heard this story before?)
The PSP could have in the off season capitalized on the implosion of the NPPL and gone to 6 events (3-ball and 3 7-man) this would have stopped anyone else from starting anything up.
Teams could have competed in both formats and those that could only afford one series would have been happy that they had a choice of format.
In the end there are people that like both formats the industry should support people playing paintball and not what format they choose.
Whether you play 7-man, X-ball, or scenario the manufactures should realize and focus on the product that they manufacture not a format or league. You sell more guns because you support your customers.
Also kind of funny to make a gun that shoots 28BPS and a loader that feeds 40BPS then support a league where you cap everything at 12BPS

Anyways I know I am starting to get off the subject. The main guys behind the USPL want the league to succeed and the players to be happy with the league. This is just the start of this league and in one of the toughest economic times in the US. If you guys remember the original NPPL league start of 1993 you can see the similiarities and know that they will eventually get over the hump and move the league in the right direction. You just have to get it a chnace.

Also players in all divisions espically the "PRO" divsion have to check their attitudes at the door and realize that they play a game because it is something they love to do and are never going to make a living at just playing this sport. Sure there are a few guys that will but they won't retire from playing and never have to work a day in their lives again.
rdny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:21 PM #87
FatalKitty
I has the awesome
 
FatalKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sharpie
FatalKitty is a Paintball photographer
FatalKitty supports Cereal Killerz 2
FatalKitty donated to help Peyton Trent
FatalKitty helped look for balloons
OK regarding Impacts idea of cutting out the lower divisions:
there needs to be lower divisions for teams to participate and for new teams to spring up and play the format.not only that, but the large number of lower division teams is were the league even gets the majority of it's revenue...
__________________
FatalKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:31 PM #88
rdny
.
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Carlsbad, CA
rdny is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
rdny is a Professional paintball player
rdny donated to help Peyton Trent
lower teams have to be kept around. How else will you grow any league without lower division teams?
rdny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:32 PM #89
1stGenRex
Easily Amused
 
1stGenRex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DERPghanistan
1stGenRex is a Paintball photographer
1stGenRex supports Cereal Killerz 2
1stGenRex donated to help Peyton Trent
1stGenRex helped look for balloons
1stGenRex is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdny View Post
lower teams have to be kept around. How else will you grow any league without lower division teams?
exactly, and to even think of it otherwise is just plain stupid.
1stGenRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:09 PM #90
Impact Ir3 03
NJ Balla
 
Impact Ir3 03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: OB-NJ
 has been a member for 10 years
Impact Ir3 03 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Impact Ir3 03 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Impact Ir3 03 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
then keep lower division teams in local events. The Uspl or Psp should be for teams that qualify to play at that certain degree. I don't see how must of you people are disagreeing with that. It's funny a majority of the teams that wind up playing d3 are capable of playing d1 d2 so lets really get the facts straight here.
But division 3 is fine I have no problem with it. The only reason i said get rid of it now because we dont have enough teams playing now whats the point of having 10 teams to a event? so the top 8 can advance how can you get better by doing that. Please someone tell me how you can get better?

And when the NPPL first started the divisions where
Rookie
Novice
Amateur
Pro

So it was adding and adding when it actually grew and they changed the format to what it was present
__________________
FREE AGENT
Impact Ir3 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:11 PM #91
1stGenRex
Easily Amused
 
1stGenRex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DERPghanistan
1stGenRex is a Paintball photographer
1stGenRex supports Cereal Killerz 2
1stGenRex donated to help Peyton Trent
1stGenRex helped look for balloons
1stGenRex is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
you didn't answer my question...did you play USPL?
1stGenRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:24 PM #92
Impact Ir3 03
NJ Balla
 
Impact Ir3 03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: OB-NJ
 has been a member for 10 years
Impact Ir3 03 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Impact Ir3 03 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Impact Ir3 03 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
being that the events have been in Cali no i havent. Have I played in NPPL yes
__________________
FREE AGENT
Impact Ir3 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM #93
1stGenRex
Easily Amused
 
1stGenRex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DERPghanistan
1stGenRex is a Paintball photographer
1stGenRex supports Cereal Killerz 2
1stGenRex donated to help Peyton Trent
1stGenRex helped look for balloons
1stGenRex is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
there were a lot of non-cali teams. Seems like you are *****ing just for the sake of *****ing, as I doubt you were even THERE to comment on what the WCO was even like
1stGenRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:47 PM #94
pb_king
Peanut Butter Sports
 
pb_king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 562
pb_king is a Paintball photographer
i seems like the refs were out to screw the d1 and pro cali teams
pb_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:09 PM #95
Johnny5072
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Johnny5072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern California
Johnny5072 is a Supporting Member
Johnny5072 supports Cereal Killerz 2
Johnny5072 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdny View Post
lower teams have to be kept around. How else will you grow any league without lower division teams?
Hey Rodney, what about having all divisions, except pro, compete in feeder series or regionals? It seems like with the way the sport is evolving in these tough economic times, it makes sense to shorten the amount of days in an event and have the teams use the national event as like a Paintball Finals or World Cup. I might not totally understand the situation here, but it seems if you lined up regional events, through feeder series or local series, you could take the best out of those events and bring them to the larger national event. I mean instead of having to run three or four full days of play on multiple fields you could have just two main fields running the "playoff" games.
I know back when 7man was king everyone could make it to all the events because they were looking to get the points to win the NPPL championship.

Now with money being tight, wouldn't it make more sense to partner with local series and promoters to hold those events which determine who gets to play at the national event?

It would bring the meaning back to having large national events because that would be where the best of the best would play. Also I would think you could do it to where you could focus the limited amount of time, energy, and money into one or two great events instead of spreading everything so thin.

You could almost make it an East vs West kind of thing as well. Have the Pros play at both the East and West Finals, and then bring everyone together at a World Cup type event. Vendors and Sponsors can get the most bang for their buck by showing up to the place that will give them the most exposure and players and teams will be able to save their money until they need to travel to the Regional Finals and then on to the National.

You could address the reffing issues by having clinics like you do now and get some skilled people on the sidelines to ref the calls. Heck in the heyday of NPPL their were 6 fields of refs, so I am sure we can find some folks who have done it or are willing to learn to get better. Then you bring the best refs you can to the Regional Finals and National event.

I know this may be wishful thinking and I am sure there is something I am missing, but in a player run league like the USPL, wouldn't this work?
Johnny5072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:16 PM #96
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER
 
WillyW0nka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
WillyW0nka is a Supporting Member
WillyW0nka plays in the PSP
WillyW0nka supports our troops
WillyW0nka plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5072 View Post
Hey Rodney, what about having all divisions, except pro, compete in feeder series or regionals? It seems like with the way the sport is evolving in these tough economic times, it makes sense to shorten the amount of days in an event and have the teams use the national event as like a Paintball Finals or World Cup. I might not totally understand the situation here, but it seems if you lined up regional events, through feeder series or local series, you could take the best out of those events and bring them to the larger national event. I mean instead of having to run three or four full days of play on multiple fields you could have just two main fields running the "playoff" games.
I know back when 7man was king everyone could make it to all the events because they were looking to get the points to win the NPPL championship.

Now with money being tight, wouldn't it make more sense to partner with local series and promoters to hold those events which determine who gets to play at the national event?

It would bring the meaning back to having large national events because that would be where the best of the best would play. Also I would think you could do it to where you could focus the limited amount of time, energy, and money into one or two great events instead of spreading everything so thin.

You could almost make it an East vs West kind of thing as well. Have the Pros play at both the East and West Finals, and then bring everyone together at a World Cup type event. Vendors and Sponsors can get the most bang for their buck by showing up to the place that will give them the most exposure and players and teams will be able to save their money until they need to travel to the Regional Finals and then on to the National.

You could address the reffing issues by having clinics like you do now and get some skilled people on the sidelines to ref the calls. Heck in the heyday of NPPL their were 6 fields of refs, so I am sure we can find some folks who have done it or are willing to learn to get better. Then you bring the best refs you can to the Regional Finals and National event.

I know this may be wishful thinking and I am sure there is something I am missing, but in a player run league like the USPL, wouldn't this work?
So you mean like have different regional series, then the top teams from each region play at a national World Cup-type event? Should help to shorten the length of the national event (2 days instead of 4), and it would definitely help vendors if they weren't paying to attend 4 USPL and 4 PSP events every year. Would also be nice for teams to have the option of playing an entire series without having to throw down for a plane ticket, rental car and hotel for every single event. Though I like the idea of having one region vs. another, I think it may be better if there were more than just 2.
WillyW0nka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:24 PM #97
poso
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Reading all of this stuff and being somewhat new to the tourny scene and owning a field and trying to promote tourny ball because I really enjoy watching it and I think it is a great sport for young kids.We now have the two leagues one for advanced players being the WCPPL.For the younger more inexperienced players with limited cash or kids depending on there parents the RPL would be best for them.I think if all the players will go to one or the other I think it would be a good start to healing paintball thru out the state.
poso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:28 PM #98
1stGenRex
Easily Amused
 
1stGenRex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DERPghanistan
1stGenRex is a Paintball photographer
1stGenRex supports Cereal Killerz 2
1stGenRex donated to help Peyton Trent
1stGenRex helped look for balloons
1stGenRex is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by poso View Post
Reading all of this stuff and being somewhat new to the tourny scene and owning a field and trying to promote tourny ball because I really enjoy watching it and I think it is a great sport for young kids.We now have the two leagues one for advanced players being the WCPPL.For the younger more inexperienced players with limited cash or kids depending on there parents the RPL would be best for them.I think if all the players will go to one or the other I think it would be a good start to healing paintball thru out the state.
you are absolutely wrong. what makes the WCPPL more for "advance players" than the RPL does? IF ANYTHING the WCPPL is better at making it more beginner friendly because they use the APPA, not some bull**** ID Pro system that one one else uses.

Also, what do you win as a lower division team if you win an RPL event?
1stGenRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:43 PM #99
poso
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Ive just always called shawn and gave him my credit card number so it was pretty easy.Kids tend to keep three man teams or even five man teams together easier than seven man teams.Last year I spent $20,000 on a seven man team this year Ill spend $5,000 and I am helping two teams.Hey it sounds like you wont be happy untill I say the RPL is S#$T and The wcppl is the best So Ill see if I cant get a team together for the next wcppl to make you happy.Ive put dozens of kids in tournaments who would have never been able to play without my support.Iam just glad there are some leagues left that bakersfield kids can afford.If tourny ball was all about what you won why are these guys even playing pro ball they make just a little more than dish washers if even that.
poso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:47 PM #100
1stGenRex
Easily Amused
 
1stGenRex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DERPghanistan
1stGenRex is a Paintball photographer
1stGenRex supports Cereal Killerz 2
1stGenRex donated to help Peyton Trent
1stGenRex helped look for balloons
1stGenRex is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
paintball is not about what you win, but in reality, winning is nice, and winning and getting CASH for it is even nicer.

I really don't care about the RPL one way or another, I'm just speaking from experience in playing t he WCPPL. You would be hard pressed to find another series that is more supported by the players than you will with the WCPPL.

Just look at it this way,

have you seen a thread like this complaining about the WCPPL?

enough said.
1stGenRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:48 PM #101
FatalKitty
I has the awesome
 
FatalKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sharpie
FatalKitty is a Paintball photographer
FatalKitty supports Cereal Killerz 2
FatalKitty donated to help Peyton Trent
FatalKitty helped look for balloons
OK so we should eliminate the lower divisions? and make regional series feeder events for one big USPL event? so then where are the pros going to play? The pro's can't all play each other in each region... they have to play everywhere just like the rest of us should have to do. Also - eliminating the lower divisions does NOT mean they are all the sudden going to move up to D3/D2 - no... they are going to go play series like WCPPL, Riot, Vicious, RPL and other series instead - meaning the money goes ELSEWHERE and the league collapses - do you honestly think that LESS teams is what the league needs? I seriously doubt you understand what you are trying to suggest... it won't work. What the league NEEDS is players to SUPPORT, and be ambassadors of the league.. but spreading the word - Here in NorCal we have a local series called the PFOA and all the teams have been spreading the word... why? because the more teams the bigger the prize package and the better the event!!!
Sorry Brandon... but everyone knows what team you play for and who owns you and your words - anyone that believes what he says isn't influenced by his position at Dye and Dye's status as a major PSP sponsor is a fool.
start promoting paintball in a POSITIVE way instead of feeding the negativity.
__________________
FatalKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:51 PM #102
poso
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Youve sold me.
poso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:52 PM #103
1stGenRex
Easily Amused
 
1stGenRex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DERPghanistan
1stGenRex is a Paintball photographer
1stGenRex supports Cereal Killerz 2
1stGenRex donated to help Peyton Trent
1stGenRex helped look for balloons
1stGenRex is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalKitty View Post
Sorry Brandon... but everyone knows what team you play for and who owns you and your words - anyone that believes what he says isn't influenced by his position at Dye and Dye's status as a major PSP sponsor is a fool.
start promoting paintball in a POSITIVE way instead of feeding the negativity.
yeah, I like the lack of Dye support when they are pretty much down the street from both HB and Corona...
1stGenRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:52 PM #104
shorty06
Elements Paintball!
 
shorty06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Santa Barbara/Lompoc, CA
Annual Supporting Member
shorty06 is a Supporting Member
shorty06 plays in the USPL
shorty06 plays in the PSP
shorty06 supports Cereal Killerz 2
shorty06 donated to help Peyton Trent
shorty06 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by poso View Post
Ive just always called shawn and gave him my credit card number so it was pretty easy.Kids tend to keep three man teams or even five man teams together easier than seven man teams.Last year I spent $20,000 on a seven man team this year Ill spend $5,000 and I am helping two teams.Hey it sounds like you wont be happy untill I say the RPL is S#$T and The wcppl is the best So Ill see if I cant get a team together for the next wcppl to make you happy.Ive put dozens of kids in tournaments who would have never been able to play without my support.Iam just glad there are some leagues left that bakersfield kids can afford.If tourny ball was all about what you won why are these guys even playing pro ball they make just a little more than dish washers if even that.
Its not so much of putting down the RPL but how could you classify a player with IDPRO when most of the of the leagues are running APPA? That means that anyone who has not played RPL and get a team that plays D2 or a mix of players and play Rookie and destroy all the new tourney ballers? With the WCPPL using APPA I have seen Mike take away points for teams having higher ranked players play on lower division teams. Thats quality control to make sure that the all divisions are far and not one is sandbagging.
__________________
HALFWAY DECENT
OringMonkey


Snake Player Gang!
shorty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 PM #105
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER
 
WillyW0nka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
WillyW0nka is a Supporting Member
WillyW0nka plays in the PSP
WillyW0nka supports our troops
WillyW0nka plays in the APPA D4 division
APPA is where it's at right now, personally, I wouldn't play anything more than a local 3-man if it didn't use APPA.
WillyW0nka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump