Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-14-2009, 04:28 PM #1
PlatipusParrl

Phantom Problems

I got a Phantom about a month ago and it is having velocity problems. When I got to the field I chonoed in around 290. After a game I chrono it again and now it is shooting at 270. At the end of the day it is shooting at 220 then spikes up to around 250 then back down. I am using HPA and I am using good paint and detent rings. I don't know whats going on with it.
PlatipusParrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2009, 04:37 PM #2
Linuss

Well, weather could have something to do with it.

But before we go there, take apart the whole Phantom and bolt assembly, clean, and put back together. Then give it a go.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:42 PM #3
PlatipusParrl

Everything is clean in the gun and it still does it and it is really hot where I live so I am not sure what that would do.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:12 PM #4
azn-pimp
one ball in ur face...

has been a member for 10 years
the hot weather makes the gas expanse more, creates more pressure which closes the valve quicker, and reduces amount of air to propel the paint, which results in low chrono reading. This is especially true with C02 and less with air.
azn-pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:44 PM #5
dsgballer

dsgballer supports Team VICIOUS
co2 works better with phantoms,they were made to run on it
dsgballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:12 PM #6
PlatipusParrl

I will use CO2 with it next time and see how it works.

Last edited by PlatipusParrl : 07-15-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:50 PM #7
unieektrialsin

when i originally got into it and got my first phantom i had the problem where i would chrono it at 280ish and 100-200 shots later it was shooting 220. what it was, was that the set screw holding the velocity peice in place wasnt holding it. so it would twist out and lower the velocity. so u might check the set screw to make sure its secure.
unieektrialsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:58 PM #8
bronze
copper alloy

bronze donated to help Peyton Trent
The TPC you mean? yes always a good idea to check that. Its made to create drag on the bol not to keep the bolt in place. dont overtighten or youll strip it
bronze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:28 PM #9
Ringwraith

sounds like a TPC prob to me....
Black FEP Quest - with all ups! Red/Black DP Threshold, Black & Red DP threshold both L7 bolts one with APE and one 7th element boards, Original Diablo Matrix - yes pre-DM3 and black,Pump, Black acid Phantom VSC,Slate Phantom VSC, CCM S6 1 of 4 Camo. red Black fade Freelow Lotus pump, Camo SM-1 Pump, Red/Black AIM Cocker, Grey Fade Dye Ultralight Cocker, Grey CMM J2 Cocker, Black Chrome Spanky Cobra Cocker, Red/Black DP F-7, Red/Back ANS GX-5 pump and matching mechanical cockers, Ego 9 1/12 limited edition Tribal Flame, Automag RT w. Z grip and now Red/Grey/Black Zodiac Zr-1
Ringwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:46 PM #10
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

How's your paint to barrel match?
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:56 PM #11
PlatipusParrl

Paint to barrel match is fine so that shouldn't be the problem
Old 07-20-2009, 04:58 PM #12
PlatipusParrl

I have tightened the TPC screw so I'll see how that turns out when I get to the field. Thanks for the help
Old 07-20-2009, 05:11 PM #13
ikey

has been a member for 10 years
not sure how co2 would help cause gas is more stable, but its a phantom so try co2.

lube/maintain teh gun again. when in doubt remove ALL oil/lube. i guess if that has an effect, put oil in the asa and that shouls lube the gun after a few shots. (i normally maintain the gun differently, but if its a lube related issue, im saying take it off to eliminate the possibility)

rings do not count as bore sizes. end of story. they will never be as consistant. but if the barrel itself is matched thats ok. if you mean the paint is bore matched to detents? means nothing. the only thing that means is they dont roll out of the barrel. then again, ive never had a 70 fps swing with rings. but i suppose if its realy bad/small paint it could

i find the tpc to be very tempermental. i can never find out how much to turn it or if a turn actually did anything. i play with it a lot, and when its set it generally never needs to be messed with. given that nature, you might just want to start all over and rechrono it from all teh way to screwing out until right psi.

worst case, its something like your main cup seal that needs replacing/care