Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009, 09:24 AM #43
Scott7d
Oooh, Jesuth Christh!!
 
Scott7d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bloomington, IN
Annual Supporting Member
Scott7d is a Supporting Member
Scott7d is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Scott7d donated to help Peyton Trent
Scott7d supports Bob Gurnsey
Scott7d supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanix901234 View Post
16th notes at 100bpm? son you need to practice alot cause thats slow, in any form of music haha
.........Yeah, I know. That's why I made the reference.
__________________
-Scott Matlock
"Originally posted by imyourfrend: You sir, are the smartest man to walk the planet."
"Originally posted by Atomic_gerbil: You sir, are god. I don't think I have ever disagreed with you. :tup:"
"Originally posted by protomatrix101: Scott7d- What you said to A-5 Best will probably help me out to, so thank you for your advice."
Scott7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2009, 10:04 AM #44
mechanix901234
iammechanix901
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MEMPHIS TN
well just have a shredder type practice as much as you hate too, and you'll notice how much better you will have gotten in a hour.
mechanix901234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:09 AM #45
HiI'mARapist
2k5
 
HiI'mARapist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
"Waves" by Guthrie Govan
it's around 3 minutes where it's the fastest I've ever herd.

http://www.imeem.com/tbh/music/6Dc8i...e-govan-waves/
HiI'mARapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:46 AM #46
Scott7d
Oooh, Jesuth Christh!!
 
Scott7d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bloomington, IN
Annual Supporting Member
Scott7d is a Supporting Member
Scott7d is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Scott7d donated to help Peyton Trent
Scott7d supports Bob Gurnsey
Scott7d supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanix901234 View Post
well just have a shredder type practice as much as you hate too, and you'll notice how much better you will have gotten in a hour.
An hour?!! Been trying for years

I can get going up around 120 if I really focus and warm up. It's not something I am too worried about because I was doing things wrong for a long time and had to retrain myself. I am starting to relax and feel more comfy on the fretboard and there is no doubt in my mind I will get better. I was just trying to get good too fast instead of being patient. And I don't want to play fast, just to play fast. There are just songs, and expressions I want to come through that require some faster playing.

Here is about the best I can play, nothing real difficult and it still takes 2o tries to even get a decent recording





An important lesson I've learned, don't really practice for speed. Practice to play clean and let it come in it's own.
__________________
-Scott Matlock
"Originally posted by imyourfrend: You sir, are the smartest man to walk the planet."
"Originally posted by Atomic_gerbil: You sir, are god. I don't think I have ever disagreed with you. :tup:"
"Originally posted by protomatrix101: Scott7d- What you said to A-5 Best will probably help me out to, so thank you for your advice."

Last edited by Scott7d : 07-10-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Scott7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:51 AM #47
HiI'mARapist
2k5
 
HiI'mARapist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo_117 View Post
No, I'm saying that hailing the repetitive practice that shredding is as anything more than novelty is ignorant. You as well as anyone should know that shredding takes little talent, and it's just technical repetition of practice the same thing till you can play it fast.

Shredding is nothing more than dick-showing, as it's all "OMG HE CAN PLAY FASTER THAN HIM!", when really speed is of no indication as to whether they're a good guitarist or not. And it's laughable to assume that speed = talent. Talent you're born with. Skill is what is acquired, which is what speed is. Yes, they're very skilled guitarists. But are they talented, or creative beyond the limited means in which they play? Typically, no.

I'm not calling shredding ignorant. I'm calling it ignorant to create fan bases and popularity contests off the sole fact of someone playing faster than another.
In general, I agree with you, but when you say it takes little talent, I ed myself so hard I almost fell back out of my chair.

It took me 4 years of building up my speed, just to begin to play shred. If you are trying to say that anyone can learn to play fast, but only a few people actually have musical talent, then how come YOU can't play shred? Wait, how do I know that you can't?

Because there is no doubt in my mind, that you are one of those guys, who wish they couple play "fast" but they can't so they bash everyone who actually has that level of skill by saying "oh, it takes no skill, so I don't do it" or "I'd rather just play these 3 chords to back in black, and then not be able to play the incredible easy lick after it, which is way to fast for me"

Don't get me wrong though, there's nothing I hate more then 8 minutes of shred, WITH NO ACTUAL MUSICAL TALENT OR EMOTION.

ex.



That kind of music just pisses me off. it's so forgettable, and after 3 or 4 minutes of listening to it, you WILL turn it off, because it will just get ****ing annoying as hell.

Last edited by HiI'mARapist : 07-10-2009 at 12:31 PM.
HiI'mARapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:09 AM #48
surge101
word
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Florida
surge101 supports Team VICIOUS
I've really got to pick up a guitar again... I sold off mine and stuck with bass (my first love) but it has it's limits.
surge101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:30 PM #49
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing
 
komodo_117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pennsylvania, The 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiI'mARapist View Post
In general, I agree with you, but when you say it takes little talent, I ed myself so hard I almost fell back out of my chair.

It took me 4 years of building up my speed, just to begin to play shred. If you are trying to say that anyone can learn to play fast, but only a few people actually have musical talent, then how come YOU can't play shred? Wait, how do I know that you can't?

Because there is no doubt in my mind, that you are one of those guys, who wish they couple play "fast" but they can't so they bash everyone who actually has that level of skill by saying "oh, it takes no skill, so I don't do it" or "I'd rather just play these 3 chords to back in black, and then not be able to play the incredible easy lick after it, which is way to fast for me"

Don't get me wrong though, there's nothing I hate more then 8 minutes of shred, WITH NO ACTUAL MUSICAL TALENT OR EMOTION.

ex.



That kind of music just pisses me off. it's so forgettable, and after 3 or 4 minutes of listening to it, you WILL turn it off, because it will just get ****ing annoying as hell.
1. I can play fast. I can't do arpeggios and **** like that, but then again, I've never practiced them or attempted to get good at them, because that's just simply not how I play. However, I can "shred" very basically. I'm sure if I sat around all day, grinding away with a metronome, I could become a shredder. But I have no desire to play that way, thus, I'm never going to become good at shredding.

2. You're confusing talent with skill, once again. Talent is a measure of creativity, expression, and musical understanding. Skill is a measure of technical prowess and learning capabilities.

It takes little creativity to simply play something fast. It takes skill, yes, but little talent.
__________________
Jlausen: "Think of what 90% of people do on PCP.

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."




XBL - xStonedCrow
komodo_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:36 PM #50
RiPeM
:dodgy:
 
RiPeM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by krucker View Post
squisgar squigelf


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7d View Post
I see what you're saying. Myself for example, let's say I was super awesome but only played cover songs. There is some musicianship to that, but mainly, I am just playing guitar.

Good point though, I will have to think about that some more. You just put my **** into a whole new perspective!
I wish you would post in all my threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo_117 View Post
But it's a fan base comprised of people who assume that speed = talentor people who just wanna be entertained by some speed. simple pleasure but not ignorant at all., and don't realize that any kind of shredding is just repetitive, highly practiced scales and arpeggios, and offers little to no creativity beyond the speed in which they play it. I'm lol'ing thinking about drone metal right now.

It's more a matter of ignorance than taste...
I think you're making a false generalization. I like obnoxious slayer/death metal solos not because I think they are creative, but because they are obnoxious. And they fit the music.
RiPeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump