Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-26-2009, 07:19 PM #22
Pballer-Mike94

your 18 go... need money for college? loans?

R.I.P Ron Butler
Pballer-Mike94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2009, 07:50 PM #23
srmd22

Just take sneak out with your dad's wallet and car keys around midnight/one a.m., and leave a note saying you'll be back when you feel like it, and they better have some food warmed up for you, and that they need to up the credit limit on the amex.
srmd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:49 PM #24
paintballa1851

paintballa1851 plays in the PSP
paintballa1851 plays in the APPA D4 division
I've been traveling without my parents to paintball since i was 14..
Old 05-27-2009, 12:32 AM #25
KalynSS999
GOD knows you wiped.

has been a member for 10 years
KalynSS999 supports Cereal Killerz 2
KalynSS999 donated to help Peyton Trent
Everyone saying man up, or 'you're 18, you can do whatever you want', or sneaking out, don't understand the concept of culture. Although some of you may have grown up where you're parents have given extreme free will to do what you want, other cultures are not so easy. Telling someone to man up is not the right answer. I'm not insulting you or your parents by saying that, but you have to understand that different families operate differently. I know, especially in Asian culture (I myself being Asian) must have a lot of respect for my parents, as they have provided for me, especially with the opportunity and financial means to go to college (Glad to hear that although you work hard, you are able to get out to the field) one cannot just go out and do what you will.

I know it was difficult for me to tell my parents when I drove two hours for a tournament. Fortunately for me, I was staying with a friend they knew from church. Give them the confidence that you will be ok. Let them know who you're staying with. If it is comfortable with the friend you are staying with, give your parents their phone number. A trick that I've learned while growing up, is that I've slowly started 'informing' my parents of what I was going to do, in a polite manner as to sound kinda like you're asking their permission. What works for me, is that I tell them 'I think I'm going to go to such and such this weekend'. Thats the other thing, let them know ahead of time. Don't spring surprises on them. Can't think of anything else right now, but I'll post if I do. Good Luck!
Member #264 of the Russian Legion fan club
Empire Fan (Whore) #17
E-Vents Fan #17
Pump Gun Pimp #89 ~ Official Pump Gun Fan
Stillerstrong.org - Help those in Haiti
MY OLD FEEDBACK
MY NEW FEEDBACK
KalynSS999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:38 AM #26
.Outlaw.
Dustin Powell

.Outlaw. owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
.Outlaw. plays in the APPA D4 division
.Outlaw. is Legendary
.Outlaw. is Boss
Yeah. So, I asked. No definite answer but my dad asked some questions. So, that's a pretty good sign. I was going to bring up the subject again today, but some chick hit my car today in a parking lot and I have to deal with the insurance stuff so I didn't want to "push the matter." But when I got home about midnight tonight, they were semi-joking about the matter so I think it's safe to bring it up tomorrow.

Referring to above, it is like an unsaid guilt trip almost. When they've given you so much, it's hard to ask for stuff.

"Originally posted by dehr: anything i post Chis Hansen is probably recording"

SOFT GOODS SALE
.Outlaw. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:04 AM #27
srmd22

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Outlaw. View Post
...Referring to above, it is like an unsaid guilt trip almost. When they've given you so much, it's hard to ask for stuff.
That, I would say, is a very mature and considerate sentiment. Kudos!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:04 PM #28
jtguy2269
PL gun collector

your not asking them for anything, your just going to spend the night at a friends house, ball and come home. whats there to think about for them? your not going to get raped/murdered etc

its summer. college doesn't start until the fall
jtguy2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:16 PM #29
nerve2030

Quote:
They always like to know where I am, where I'm going, who I'm with, etc.
they know where you will be where your going and who your with i assume they know the friend you want to stay with. if i was your parent i would not have issue with that.

Quote:
it is like an unsaid guilt trip almost. When they've given you so much, it's hard to ask for stuff.
if their making you feel guilty about it that kinda sucks but its good you realize these kind of things now allot of people don't mature enough to realize that until much later in life. your off to a good start my friend .
nerve2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:54 PM #30
jtguy2269
PL gun collector

btw. the only thing the are "giving" you in this scenario is there permission
jtguy2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:13 PM #31
.Outlaw.
Dustin Powell

.Outlaw. is Legendary
.Outlaw. is Boss
Just an update. I got the okay to go. I talked to my dad first and he didn't have a problem with it. He talked to my mom first then we both did. So, it's all good

SOFT GOODS SALE
Old 05-31-2009, 04:28 PM #32
Gravedigg154

Quote:
Haha yes I'm sure that will go over real well later on down the road when i ask for money when I'm in college.
If they don't lend you money for college cause you went to a paintball tournament they should get over themselves.
They can't control you anymore but only support you in what you choose to do in life.
Gravedigg154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:49 PM #33
NW_baller1357
Back from 4 yr. break

Jesus kid, you need to start acting like you're 18 years old. Your parents spoil you to death. How are you ever going to learn to appreciate anything. Get a jof and work like everyone else, at least during summer...... I'm 19, freshman in college and I've had to mostly pay my own way and I've learned a lot of things that your just going to miss.
Then again, props on the full ride, in your situation I can see them helping you out, 19 creds is a lot too, good luck, at the tourney and at school.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:47 PM #34
.Outlaw.
Dustin Powell

.Outlaw. is Legendary
.Outlaw. is Boss
Unsubscribed and just found it again. Ha

Anyways, we won the tournament, woo. Blah blah. As so the post above, I have had a job. I ref soccer and have had regular jobs too, but due to my hectic schedule (club soccer year round), I have had to quit due to lack of hours. But, I'm actually waiting on them to call me for an interview to work.. Blah, but anyway.

I know I'm spoiled. I appreciate everything I have. I know the value of everything that I have and take care of it. I buy all my own gear. It's not like my parents just give me stuff. Sure, I get presents like everyone else, but if I want something, I do odd jobs (house-sitting, etc.) to save up the money to buy it.

You're right, I will never know what it's like to work my way through college. And I will never know what it's like to work my way through med school either. Sorry.

SOFT GOODS SALE
Old 05-31-2009, 09:30 PM #35
srmd22

Taking advantage of one's opportunities is not the same thing as being spoiled. Don't be haters man.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:08 PM #36
ih8ipods
Way diffrent in real life

Dude move to Canada everything is legal at 18!

PLEASE STOP USING DUBSTEP IN ANY AND ALL PAINTBALL VIDEOS CAUSE REALLY ITS JUST HARD TO WATCH WITH THAT UNINTELLIGIBLE GARBAGE PLAYING.

On average NPPL and semi players can satisfy their girlfriends and wives much better than PSP and ramping players :)
ih8ipods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:27 PM #37
Meuchelmorder
Paintball Assassin

Quote:
I know I'm spoiled. I appreciate everything I have.
First statement is false if second statement is true, and vice versa.

Congrats on winning the tourney!

I've noticed that parents are more willing to accept that you are responsible if you show them. You can give them a phone # so they can reach you where you're staying, give them a time-frame of when you're leaving/returning, let them know who you're with and where exactly you're going, etc etc. If you have this info handy when you ask permission, they'll most likely see that you've "done your homework" and feel they can trust you.

And to all the "man-up" posters: I don't care if you're 16, 18 or 40, if you're in your parents house, you respect their rules.

G'luck in college man.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:03 PM #38
gmanuelp
|\|/~ADP~\|/|

gmanuelp posts videos on PbNation
Being 18 does not mean anything except that you are legally an adult. That doesn't mean crap in this situation because: 1) you still live under their house; 2) you are technically not emancipated from your parents because you are not living by yourself and paying for your own bills. Wanna-b-ballin' knows what he's talking about. Have a cell phone at hand and ALWAYS have it on. Call them occasionally to let them know how you are doing. Call them when you get there and before you leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meuchelmorder View Post
First statement is false if second statement is true, and vice versa.

Congrats on winning the tourney!

I've noticed that parents are more willing to accept that you are responsible if you show them. You can give them a phone # so they can reach you where you're staying, give them a time-frame of when you're leaving/returning, let them know who you're with and where exactly you're going, etc etc. If you have this info handy when you ask permission, they'll most likely see that you've "done your homework" and feel they can trust you.

And to all the "man-up" posters: I don't care if you're 16, 18 or 40, if you're in your parents house, you respect their rules.

G'luck in college man.
Not true at all. Being spoiled just means your parents will basically give you things rather than you working for them. Being a brat would mean you are ungrateful for the things your parents give you. You are absolutely right on that last part, though.
Small Gear Sale

Last edited by gmanuelp : 06-01-2009 at 03:11 PM.
gmanuelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:32 PM #39
Gundy_G

I know how you feel here man, and depending on how far away the tourney is and what time it starts I'd say load up your stuff and tell them your off to a friends, then drive to that town and be back in the evening, that is, depending on how big a tourney this is.
Gundy_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:07 PM #40
Slawinskisean

Do It Up
Slawinskisean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:55 PM #41
Meuchelmorder
Paintball Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanuelp View Post
Not true at all. Being spoiled just means your parents will basically give you things rather than you working for them. Being a brat would mean you are ungrateful for the things your parents give you. You are absolutely right on that last part, though.
I suggest reading it again, since we're both saying the same thing.

He said he knows he's spoiled, but he appreciates it. I'm saying if he appreciates it, he's not spoiled.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:19 PM #42
Huffman///
Show me your genitals

I see nothing wrong with being your parents helping you out as much as they can, aslong as you appreicate it.

Spoiled is totally different, do you know how many times I've overherd kids complain that their new 20,000 dollar car is gay because it's not what they wanted?

I think parents in general give what ever they can to their kids, some get more than others. My parents are in the middle class somewhere, they can't give me much but I know they would help me untill they were flat broke If I needed it.
Huffman/// is offline   Reply With Quote