Community Focus

Old 05-29-2009, 08:29 PM #1
DuckTape Dude
Layin' down the L.A.W.

DuckTape Dude has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DuckTape Dude has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DuckTape Dude has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
help with sights on my homemade LAW

I need ideas on how to create a reliable, accurate, and sturdy sight for my homemade LAW.

Here's my LAW:

Here's the overall look at my current sight layout:

Here's the view down the barrel:

As you can see, the front sight is a spring that is used to line up my target horizontally and it works perfectly.

What needs work is the rear sight which is used to adjust the distance of each shot. So far, it's a piece of plastic with sharpie on it, and its hot glued to the solenoid on my valve LOL! The sharpie marks smear when paint gets on them and the sight breaks off with the lightest touch. It is very inconvient!!!

Please help me with any ideas or advice or knowledge gained from personal attempts at making a sight
DuckTape Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:58 AM #2
Boom Master
Scenario Player

I don't use one. Practice, Practice, Practice...

A sight is only useful for lining up a target left to right.

The Nerf drops so quickly you really can't use a sight or scope to guess elevation without a LOT of trouble but you can.

For a simple vertical post on the front get, a PVC Union. Cut of a 1" to 1/2" long ring to slip over the end of your barrel. Drill and tap a screw hole and put a long machine screw into it. A nut will tighten it against the outside of the ring. Now you might be tempted to glue it. I would say don't. You will bang it. When you do, you bend the sight. If it is slip fit, It might not bend the screw and the ring will just rotate when bumped. You line it up by hand and continue play without leaving the field to replace the bent screw.. If that is a spring on a short screw in the picture above, I really WISH I had thought of that. Good idea!

Then you need something to line it up on the rear of the marker. An eye screw in a block of wood hose clamped to the barrel makes a lovely peepsight. You could have a vertical block and put the 2-3 eye screws in horizontally for different ranges. Like his elevation marks on the picture above, you could use an archery pin sight

Caution about those hose clamps. Don't overtighten them. You will deform the barrel make the inside of your barrel egg shaped..

In my Tour of Duty anti - tank marker based/bazooka I made a zero power 'scope' for aiming. Just a 6 " long tube of 3/4" PVC pipe. Painted the inside BLACK and the back wall / edge hunters orange. You line the target up in the center of the black and orange rings. Very precise. Sighted the range for 20 -30 feet. Again, two blocks of wood and some hose clamps. The front block was taller than the back block. It worked amazingly well for a low tech sight.

I always wanted to try my autorangefinder on my Nerf cannons. But I would probably only use it for very long shots say over 35 yards. A cannon is a MORTAR at those ranges so the front sighting post would have to be about a foot long for a 50 -70 yard shot and not very practical in a hand held.

Last edited by Boom Master : 05-31-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:04 AM #3
jvtech
HazMat from Black List

Bow sights like this works or the ones with multiple pins. You can make your own bracket that'll allow you to place the pins for different distances.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:15 PM #4
DuckTape Dude
Layin' down the L.A.W.

DuckTape Dude has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DuckTape Dude has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DuckTape Dude has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Thanks a whole lot guys. It was pretty helpful.
DuckTape Dude is offline   Reply With Quote