Old 05-26-2009, 11:10 PM #1
Highway Pirate

Highway Pirate is playing at Living Legends V
Highway Pirate has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Highway Pirate has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Highway Pirate has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Which region has the best scene?

Since there's no national thread that I know of, here's my question:

What part of the nation has the best pb scene?

I know the pb scene is pretty hot in NY/NJ, obviously, but who else has it so good?

WARHOUNDSPAINTBALL.COM

War Hounds Party Brigade-Bringing the PARTY back to paintball!
Highway Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2009, 01:34 AM #2
Freak36

Freak36 is an NCPA player
Freak36 plays in the APPA D4 division
California for sure.... Massachusetts has the NEPL, that's a pretty big regional league.
Freak36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:44 AM #3
BunkerKing5291
Hate.Heart.Love.

BunkerKing5291 plays in the USPL
BunkerKing5291 plays in the PSP
BunkerKing5291 is an NCPA player
Hate to break it to you but Ny doesn't have a good paintball scene.

Best is California, Flordia, MW.
REP CODE : AJKATT For 20% OFF
SUNY Oswego Rush NCPA Alumni
BunkerKing5291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:29 PM #4
Freak36

BunkerKing, we do have a quite a few AXBL and even some CXBL teams. So I guess in that sense we do have a decent paintball scene since each team has pretty much 15 guys rostered.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:39 PM #5
BunkerKing5291
Hate.Heart.Love.

I was reffering to the NJ/NY paintball scene mainly I can't say anything about upstate since Im from long island. Every tournament player from long island travels 2+ hours every weekend just for an xball pratice. And also there hasn't been many sucessful teams or organizations in this area.

Also not disagreading with you I have no idea about the AXBL/CXBL Leagues.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:51 PM #6
Freak36

Oh yeah, no problem. I don't know too, too much about the AXBL/CXBL, I just know I'm not a fan and I'd much rather play PSP race2/xball lite formats. I think the 15 guys for a roster is pretty ridiculous myself.

I definitely agree with you on that we lack in the successful teams/organization in the NY area. With NY being so damn obsessed with XBall, I'm very surprised that there isn't more national PSP teams. It was cool at the beginning of the year where we could say we at least had a Semi-Pro team, but from the looks of it they disappeared or something.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:59 PM #7
BunkerKing5291
Hate.Heart.Love.

Haha, the lost badly in semi-pro and continued to lose and changed there name to New World Order in Divison 1.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:37 PM #8
the beaner of ny

the beaner of ny owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
the beaner of ny supports Team VICIOUS
the beaner of ny is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak36 View Post
Oh yeah, no problem. I don't know too, too much about the AXBL/CXBL, I just know I'm not a fan and I'd much rather play PSP race2/xball lite formats. I think the 15 guys for a roster is pretty ridiculous myself.

I definitely agree with you on that we lack in the successful teams/organization in the NY area. With NY being so damn obsessed with XBall, I'm very surprised that there isn't more national PSP teams. It was cool at the beginning of the year where we could say we at least had a Semi-Pro team, but from the looks of it they disappeared or something.
Yeah i know guys on the psp teams, there's a group of guys who play under surge for axbl that are from albany. They usually play a few events a year. From Syracuse there is a new D1 team " Foundation" that plays out of headrush. High voltage is an mxl team from Colonie.

DROID

Amsterdam Xplosion #56
the beaner of ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:35 PM #9
Highway Pirate

Thanks for the replies everyone! Keep 'em coming. If there isn't a good scene locally, why? Is it just weather that draws the sport to those states, or is there something else we aren't seeing?

WARHOUNDSPAINTBALL.COM

Old 05-27-2009, 06:25 PM #10
iRoNiQ

In the United States as whole, California is on top for 7 man. But the east coast such as Florida and even the Northeast area are on top for XBall/RaceTo.

I play for Powersurge. The guys who played Semi-Pro kind of went their own ways. The local field kind of stopped caring and things went downhill from there. Some of the guys are playing with Jesters D1 for Chicago. Almost all of them are still in the AXBL scattered on different teams.

We will be back next year.
iRoNiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:34 PM #11
Freak36

the beaner of ny, Foundation is a D2 team.

iRoNiQ, that sucks . I hope you guys make a strong come back next year.

Highway Pirate, I would say its a combination of the weather and how NY is pretty spread apart, as well as the disagreeing on formats deal. By "disagreeing on formats" I mean there are teams who would rather play AXBL/CXBL full 50 minute matches, where as others would rather play the 10-15 minute race-2/xball lite formats, and a few that would rather play 5/7-man formats.

All of the teams as well as leagues and events just seem to be too spread out.

I could foresee a NY league, that is somewhat centrally located in NY, based off of the PSP Race2/Xball format really taking off. A lot of people dream to become pros right? NY loves xball. Why not build a league that's based off a well established national league? Using the APPA ranking system, this NY regional league could offer D2-D4 divisions of the race2/xball format. Oh, and throw a pump division in there while you're at it... 'cause there needs to be more NY pump teams too.

For prizes, don't offer gear... for the higher D2-D3 divisions offer a percentage off of a PSP entry fee, such as 75% for 1st, etc. For D4, offer free entry to the next event plus 2 cases or something to that effect. Or maybe skip the prize mentality and reward the teams that make playoffs with a free case of paint each. Then the teams that make the finals another case of paint, and just provide 1st-3rd trophies.

Unfortunately this dream league of mine would probably take a decent amount of start up cash... or have to start off slow with limited teams and go from there.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:25 PM #12
Highway Pirate

I hear you. The travel part of many of the leagues kills it for many teams. If more leagues were regionalized, I think more teams/people would be involved. I know there are already regionalized tournaments, but few for this area. My team, Evil Streak, is a woodsball format team, and there are even less tournaments for us.

WARHOUNDSPAINTBALL.COM

Old 05-29-2009, 10:50 AM #13
BlkBerry
March 2k4

BlkBerry owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BlkBerry supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Since there's no national thread that I know of, here's my question:

What part of the nation has the best pb scene?

I know the pb scene is pretty hot in NY/NJ, obviously, but who else has it so good?
Do you mean who has the best teams, or just players per square mile?

Quote:
In the United States as whole, California is on top for 7 man. But the east coast such as Florida and even the Northeast area are on top for XBall/RaceTo.

I play for Powersurge. The guys who played Semi-Pro kind of went their own ways. The local field kind of stopped caring and things went downhill from there. Some of the guys are playing with Jesters D1 for Chicago. Almost all of them are still in the AXBL scattered on different teams.

We will be back next year.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head when it comes to 7man. West Coast practically dominates through all the divisions. When it comes to Xball it's very selective. In the higher divisions D1-Pro West Coast still holds a lot of ground (SDAII, XSV, Dynasty, Ironmen, Seattle CDR) when it comes to the top spot. In DII and lower i would have to say MW, FL, and even some NY squads are doing pretty well.

Coming from the West Coast system and life style of paintball. It's much different than what it is here. Paintball is huge no matter what part of Calif. you're in. A lot of good pro players come from good teams that started in DII & D1. It's actually pretty common to go to school with some of your teammates or people on opposing squads, meaning A LOT of people play in ca. And they're not all just DII/DIII players. There are a fair ammount of young pros. Paintball is also a live, sleep, breath event to a lot of people there. Even if you don't play or never have even tried it out, you know a fair ammount about it. Take Tyler Harmon for instance. His upcoming in paintball was totally by chance, but he turned into a very solid pro player for BLAST.
Collar City Shakedown #11

GEO 2 POISON +ROTOR +TANK F/S
BlkBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups