Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-21-2009, 05:23 PM #1
Delta Frank

the state of new york paintball

what i am wanting to know is why are the prices to play paintball on long island so out of whack with other fields from around the country. Now i have played around the country and and have meet some great field owners such as blue crispy and some others and they all have one thing that sets them apart from others is there dedication to the game and the players that come there. Now with the exception of skirmish i have never been to a field that charge as much as high velocity 25 dollars for admission and 90 for a case of paint. and cousins who charges 50 for admission just to play a reg walk on day and i believe 80-90 a case also(used to be 100). now what i wanna no is why can i go to big games around the country and play against 1000s of people for less then it would cost me to play a regular day of rec ball at a local field by me. maybe its just lake of dedication to the players and more of just a money making business for the owners who seem to not care for any of there players.

DELTA PAINTBALL PISSING ON BIG FISH IN SMALL PONDS SINCE 2002
Delta Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2009, 06:46 PM #2
deltaski

You hit the nail on the head without knowing it Frank......1000 people. More people means more paint sales=lower paint cost.
deltaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:11 PM #3
Delta Frank

even at there regalar walk on days other fields have alot better prices with alot more to offer then this two fields. like better more upkept fields byop or other specials. and on top of that 1 hi vi is a great field but only like 2 acres and cousins is a good field but i dont think they have done any changes in the last 10 years i have been playing there. its seems these guys are just racking in cash with out putting anything back into the field. you can look at the big game for a perfect exsample i rember back when i first started going there it was 1500 to 2000+ people sometimes with tons of vendors but as the years have gone on it has gotten smaller and smaller.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:26 PM #4
ekindbest

you should go to castle conquest then.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:45 PM #5
Delta Frank

ill be at castle conquest what does that have to do with this conversation.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:52 PM #6
prettylou
Por favor nene!

prettylou donated to help Peyton Trent
prettylou is playing at Living Legends III
prettylou is playing at Living Legends V
prettylou supports DLX Technology
Frank, one cost you have to factor in for Long Island is the cost of property taxes. I believe Long Island has some of the highest taxes in all of the country. Now as far as putting back into its fields, I know HiVi spent a pretty penny building that new Castle. But you have lots of cost involved in running any field. Insurance, staffing at the fields and main office, rental equipment and its upkeep and so on. Do I like high prices, hell no. But it is a business and they do have to make a profit.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:45 AM #7
Delta Frank

i understand i live on long island remember but theres a point of making profits and just plan rape

im not trying to diss on them but come on throw a byop game ever now and then offer discounts to people who come alot and not charge 90 for a case of paint thats just horrible since they are most likely getting that case for 20 bucks if not less. also hi vi has to learn to take care of the people who volunteer to genral and xo there games and help promote them a little better.

Last edited by Delta Frank : 04-22-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:08 AM #8
prettylou
Por favor nene!

prettylou donated to help Peyton Trent
prettylou is playing at Living Legends III
prettylou is playing at Living Legends V
prettylou supports DLX Technology
I agree , $90 a box is rediculous. Especially if its not even the best paint around. And to tell you the truth, I havent been to HiVi in 2 years for that reason.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:09 AM #9
deltapaintball
Josh Foote (R)

deltapaintball is a Supporting Member
deltapaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
deltapaintball supports our troops
deltapaintball has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
deltapaintball supports DLX Technology
Some quick numbers before I run out for the day.

Now, lets say the Cousins Big Game drew 2000 people again this year. And if everyone pre-reged at $35.00. That would bring in $70,000.00

If the said 2000 people also pre-reged a case of paint at $70.00 each, (deduct the cost of paint, about $20.00 a case, so look at $50.00 a case profit)we would be looking at: $100,000.00

In total, $170,000.00 they would gross if everyone pre-reged. Now we all know that more then half will not pre-reg nor will most only purchase 1 case of paint. However, we will base this post off of the minimum gross profit from a 2000 player game.

Now for costs, you have to factor in advertisements, the online promotion is taken care of for free from sponsored teams, so we are still at $170,000.00

Magazine promtion for a full page add will probably run about $1,000.00 a month. Thus far, I have seen PB Sports running their adds and thats about it. Well, PB Sports has a partnership with Cousins, so I doubt they are charging them the full quote, however we will assume they are. So for about 4 months worth of adds in PB Sports, we are looking at $4,000.00. So now we are down to 166,000.00

The reffs and support staff. I was told by a few reffs that they were only making the minimum wage, so to be fair and we will assume some of received raises or what have you, we will say most are making around 9 dollars a hour. (For sat/sun) So we'll say there is about 75 people working the big game, at 9 dollars a hour, (8 hour work day) We are looking at $10,800.00 give or take. So we are down to 155,200.00

The parking has been the same cluster **** for years now, so theres no real cost. The field upgrades (or lack there of?) is not costing the big game directly also. However, I am sure the helicopter is not cheap, so we will factor in $5,000.00 for the 2 days its there.

Now factor in pens/copies/etc... and we are looking at about $200.00 in supplies.

So when its all said and done with, $150,00.00 Profit from running the quick numbers. Not a bad take for a 2 day big game.

=================

Again these are all quick numbers and are roundabouts of the actual numbers. Either way you wish to swing it, the field is walking away with 100,000.00+ profit.
deltapaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:12 AM #10
Disturbed77
We Kill For Cousins

This may come across as biased as being part of a Cousins sponsored team, but just want to throw a couple facts out there. Admission to Cousins field is $20, not $50 (though maybe that was a typo?). I'm not sure about admission for a private party with fields all to yourself and your own ref however, perhaps that is that high, but for a regular walk on its $20. Also, you can buy your paint at any Cousins location for $50 and bring it to the field. The Medford store is literally 3minutes away from the Cousins field.

I definitely wish prices were cheaper in general, I'm not playing much this season due to just buying a house so I wish everything was cheaper lol But this is definitely not an inexpensive sport to play.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:19 PM #11
Delta Frank

its 50 maybe u have ur nums wrong its printed right on there page and ill stop by there store and find out the price of paint. But why is that same case 80bucks at the field its because they dont tell anyone or promote the paint from the store so no one knows about it

Old 04-28-2009, 01:34 AM #12
Delta Frank

bump all in all the fact of the matter is these fields seem to not care about returning customers and local players but rather that of just one time rec players who can have daddy cough up cash for them to play or head out from the hamptons on one of there days off and play soilder for a day.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:25 AM #13
JFBomber
Joint Fury Plank-Owner

Reminds me of the days [way back when] when we were shelling out $125 a case at Skirmish........But you are correct in your observation Frank, the prices in the NY Metro area have ALWAYS been on the Very High Side.......
Charmin
Nachos
The Question Mark "?" TM
AND our Newest Sponsor.........GOO be GONE! (For when the paste-eaters take over your local paintball game)

JOINT FURY: TERRORIZING THE PAINTBALL COMMUNITY AT LARGE SINCE 1996
JFBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:51 PM #14
Delta Frank

i remember when cousins was charging 100 a case and 20 for admission not so way back when lol now they charge 80 and bumped there admission up to 40

Old 05-15-2009, 07:22 AM #15
The$aInT
Airsmith level X master

Move and you won't have that problem.
LOL
Old 05-16-2009, 10:53 PM #16
Delta Frank

DIAF jr lol

Old 05-16-2009, 11:24 PM #17
Ghostduck
Quack! Quack!

Just a thought.. but perhaps its due to insurance liabilities.

I'm not certain, but I think the insurance premiums are prolly much higher in the NY state area than in other areas of the country. Possibly due to the stereotyping of paintball in general, as well as the issue of "vandalism" by idiots using paintballs.

Sure we all hear of the backwoods areas where a couple of stupid teens with their markers from wally world went shooting up street signs and cars in thier joy ride only to get busted. But I think the majority of folks won't/don't associate these stories where they actually took place. But bottom line, when these things happen, no matter where, its the local fields and good hearted players that end up paying for it. I know all too many fields that even after they went on a campaign to show they weren't part of it by cleaning up stuff they still got railroaded.

I know of one local field in WA, that charges outrageous fees, only to say that "those are to ensure the freshest paint and upgrade the facilites". Total BS.. He gets his paint from the same shipment that the guy with the cheapest prices in town gets his from, plus he can't upgrade anything there because he rents the place from a landowner that won't let him upgrade any more than he already has. He's tried several times to get the other paintball fields in the area banned from the county just so he can run the gauntlet. Bottom line, this guy just want's money nothing more, but says otherwise.

In the meantime, because of the ruckus this guy has made for the other paintball bussiness in the area, it has forced them all to pay higher premiums for insurance, as well as pay for licensing in areas where there never used to be such requirements... All because one person trying to badmouth em, and because of his "in's" with the local county commissioners, he gets "grandfathered" to not have to pay any of the licensing that he pushed to get placed on his competition.

Im not sure but, my guess for NY State.. is possibly one field owner may have ruined it for the rest.
Ghostduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:59 PM #18
Delta Frank

you make a really vaild point ghost duck ill reply some more when im not dead tired