Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-14-2009, 02:46 AM #1
lovejuice28

Whats with the prizes? cash???

Its been awhile since I've checked out the NPPL scene but whats with cash for all the prizes? I know its about the sport and not the money, but first place takes home a little over 600 bucks for a D3 team and 900 for a D2 with the entry fees and cost of paint one would be lucky to net 300 and 500 dollars, respectively. Add up the fees against the prizes and there is a missing 50k. There is a lot of costs that go in to the event, I know. If they're that worried about it why aren't guns, gear, vacation packages, tournament entry tickets there instead? With these they can not only get them at a reduced price through sponsors they can advertise them at the MSRP price tag. This will not only boost the company's image but create more entries and save them money. I don't mind thinking I've won a 2,000 dollar trip to Aruba even if they got a native and bulk discount with a true value of 900 dollars.
lovejuice28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2009, 02:52 AM #2
Buckfrenzy
Turtle Force

Buckfrenzy plays in the PSP
Nobody wants gear, and honestly the vast majority of the divisional teams aren't playing for prizes...they are playing to be able to say they won the tournament. The money is a bonus to keep the winning teams in it financially.

I would never want to tell my team's owner, "Hey I know you just spent thousands of dollars on this tournament, but now we get to schedule a team trip to Aruba instead of you recouping your costs!"

Getting your money back selling gear is close to impossible.

Also, most teams that are playing consistently have some sort of agreement with a sponsor, and since the list of companies keeps getting smaller, your odds of giving away a prize that some of the teams can actually use has plummeted.

Last edited by Buckfrenzy : 05-14-2009 at 02:55 AM. Reason: adfs
Buckfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:12 AM #3
lovejuice28

That did cross my mind, great reply. Still HDTV's are always good. One point maybe I did not emphasize enough. Even the money only recoops costs for the win. Entries to the next tournament wouldn't cost them anything in initial cost plus give the cash. Flying to CA for most means having to win to break even. Its not like there are many pro leagues left. If the NPPL can not put up great prizes for 4 events a year who can?
lovejuice28 is offline   Reply With Quote