Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: 3rd event in DC or Boston?
DC Challenge 162 51.43%
Boston Event 153 48.57%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 09:24 AM #43
$teve
system is a ****ing joke
 
$teve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: centereach LI
$teve donated to help Peyton Trent
i dont think that we should necessarily have to choose between dc and boston, i mean wasnt there supossed to be a eastern and western conference? i mean i know they cut down on events but seriously 1 east coast event and 3 west? some "conference".

id much rather have the event in boston but i know ive already stated my opinion.
$teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 AM #44
protoballer823
Meow What Is So Funny?
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Phoenix
protoballer823 plays in the PSP
protoballer823 donated to help Peyton Trent
protoballer823 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotAEpiphany View Post
Neither. Oklahoma?
i was thinking arkansas, but whatev
protoballer823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:51 AM #45
deadlymystery
CFP
 
deadlymystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Port Orange, FL
deadlymystery plays in the PSP
deadlymystery plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybear1905 View Post
DC. great field -- and the people don't talk funny.
Maybe you talk funny
deadlymystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 AM #46
BlackMagic2638
-Mikey2Shot-
 
BlackMagic2638's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake George, NY
BlackMagic2638 plays in the USPL
BlackMagic2638 plays in the PSP
BlackMagic2638 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_caffeine View Post
Pure knowledge. Your on the "right" coast, you don't know the paintball "scene" ( we shall call it) of here. Like stated Boston '07 which I attended had a tremendous turn out, packing grandstands what we're 3x the size of those at HB, and there was still spill over into standing areas for the day of the finals.

All I'm saying is, the next national league to give the Northeast, more specifically the New England area a chance, wont be let down.
lol actually I'm from New York, I meant right coast as in like the West Coast would be the left coast. It's a joke.

I actually went to both Boston events, and I've been to almost every national event since then and I found Boston not to be absolutely amazing. Don't get me wrong, they were good events and bigger than other venues out there, but definitely not the best.

I don't understand why you guys are hating on D.C. so much. It's in the center of the East Coast which means that it would pull all you New England guys that are *****ing so much, plus kids up from the south that don't have the money to fly to National events. So what if it's a couple more hours for you guys to drive. Boston is closer to me but I would rather have D.C. personally.
BlackMagic2638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:17 PM #47
kINgjAKIm
VA Ballaz
 
kINgjAKIm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: VA
kINgjAKIm is playing at Living Legends III
kINgjAKIm owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kINgjAKIm supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagic2638 View Post
lol actually I'm from New York, I meant right coast as in like the West Coast would be the left coast. It's a joke.

I actually went to both Boston events, and I've been to almost every national event since then and I found Boston not to be absolutely amazing. Don't get me wrong, they were good events and bigger than other venues out there, but definitely not the best.

I don't understand why you guys are hating on D.C. so much. It's in the center of the East Coast which means that it would pull all you New England guys that are *****ing so much, plus kids up from the south that don't have the money to fly to National events. So what if it's a couple more hours for you guys to drive. Boston is closer to me but I would rather have D.C. personally.
Because D.C isnt where they live so they wanna ***** and moan about having to travel
kINgjAKIm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:40 PM #48
danbob1088
succisa virescit
 
danbob1088's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by kINgjAKIm View Post
Because D.C isnt where they live so they wanna ***** and moan about having to travel
Says the person from VA....I'm sure you don't have any care if its in your backyard vs Boston.

Nobody is really *****ing about the drive anyway. People are making legitimate points about the success of a New England event.

Why not hold a New England event and a Florida event....then the people in the middle can choose which event they want to go to, and you actually have the east and west represented instead of the mockery it is.

And to your point about DC getting a chance - the DC event failed, the reason for the reschedule. Now they are running an event at the same location that failed to get teams almost exactly one month after their next event, right when school is starting. That's a good plan.

I already said I want to see this league succeed - I just don't agree with how they are going about it.
__________________

flickr
danbob1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:26 PM #49
ptballa32
thuggin
 
ptballa32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nor*Car
ptballa32 plays in the PSP
ptballa32 helped look for balloons
ptballa32 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ptballa32 is an NCPA player
DC but the dates they were sposed to hav boston
__________________
Nor*Car Hype
Raiden

UNC Charlotte
ptballa32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 PM #50
Ches7er
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: rocky gap, va
Ches7er supports Bob Gurnsey
jump on the metro get the all day pass and enjoy all of what dc has to offer
Ches7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:41 AM #51
KMAYER1221
rip dan donlon
 
KMAYER1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: philly
KMAYER1221 is a Paintball photographer
KMAYER1221 plays in the USPL
KMAYER1221 plays in the PSP
KMAYER1221 is Legendary
boston would be a lot of fun.
i voted. 99 to 99. lol.
KMAYER1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:28 AM #52
pbkilla4211
why work, play paintball
 
pbkilla4211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMAYER1221 View Post
boston would be a lot of fun.
i voted. 99 to 99. lol.
hahah i just added my vote and made it 100 to 99
__________________
Storm Riders For Life

AKA Media
pbkilla4211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:56 AM #53
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew
 
Fox4paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upton, MA
Annual Supporting Member
Fox4paintball is a Professional paintball player
Fox4paintball is an Ultimate field/store owner
Fox4paintball plays in the PSP
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Fox4paintball plays in the APPA D4 division
I don't think it is so much people B**ching, but more trying to help the league survive.

In today's economy it is challenging for the D2 and D3 teams to travel - they don't have fat budgets or great sponsorships, so it's all out of pocket. Heck - most of the D1 teams are most likely in the same boat. At the same time I think it's fairly common knowledge that it is the lower divisions that make an event economically successful (or not), so you need to try and attract as many of those teams as possible. How do you do that - you put the events where the teams are.

I've shared the evaluation in a different thread, but look at the comparison between the GPL and the NEPL. I'm going to say that the GPL is a good indication of the level of commitment D2 and D3 teams have in the Virgina/Maryland/Delaware area and the NEPL indicates the level of commitment the D2 and D3 teams have in the New England area.

GPL 1st event - 12 7-man teams
NEPL 1st event - 35 7-man teams

GPL 2nd event (May 30/31) - 0 teams listed on their website as signed up
NEPL 2nd event (June 14) - 17 teams signed up - 1 paid already

It just stands to reason that by putting an event in the New England region you'd be able to draw more "Non traveling" teams to the event - meaning more D2 and D3 teams - meaning the teams that make the event "Work" financially. The pro teams are going to travel to where ever the events are held. Same goes for the handful of Semi-pro and/or D1 teams - they will travel to where ever the event is.

By no means is this meant to be a Mid Atlantic vs New England debate - just a listing of the facts. I feel that both leagues (GPL and NEPL) are offering a great service/event for their customers - both play at great facilities. Additionally, it would appear (based on the photos I've seen) that the PEVs facility selected for the DC Open is fabulous - I'd would love to have such a large tournament facility here in the Northeast.

The same general debate can be said for Southern California vs Northern California. Why is it that event producers keep putting events in Southern California - because there is a huge amount of "Local" teams that will fill up the lower ranks (D2 & D3).
__________________
Dave Painter
"Are you ready to play?"
Fox 4 Paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew
(508) 529-FOX4 (3694)
www.fox4paintball.com
Fox4paintball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:53 AM #54
danbob1088
succisa virescit
 
danbob1088's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4paintball View Post
I don't think it is so much people B**ching, but more trying to help the league survive.

In today's economy it is challenging for the D2 and D3 teams to travel - they don't have fat budgets or great sponsorships, so it's all out of pocket. Heck - most of the D1 teams are most likely in the same boat. At the same time I think it's fairly common knowledge that it is the lower divisions that make an event economically successful (or not), so you need to try and attract as many of those teams as possible. How do you do that - you put the events where the teams are.

I've shared the evaluation in a different thread, but look at the comparison between the GPL and the NEPL. I'm going to say that the GPL is a good indication of the level of commitment D2 and D3 teams have in the Virgina/Maryland/Delaware area and the NEPL indicates the level of commitment the D2 and D3 teams have in the New England area.

GPL 1st event - 12 7-man teams
NEPL 1st event - 35 7-man teams

GPL 2nd event (May 30/31) - 0 teams listed on their website as signed up
NEPL 2nd event (June 14) - 17 teams signed up - 1 paid already

It just stands to reason that by putting an event in the New England region you'd be able to draw more "Non traveling" teams to the event - meaning more D2 and D3 teams - meaning the teams that make the event "Work" financially. The pro teams are going to travel to where ever the events are held. Same goes for the handful of Semi-pro and/or D1 teams - they will travel to where ever the event is.

By no means is this meant to be a Mid Atlantic vs New England debate - just a listing of the facts. I feel that both leagues (GPL and NEPL) are offering a great service/event for their customers - both play at great facilities. Additionally, it would appear (based on the photos I've seen) that the PEVs facility selected for the DC Open is fabulous - I'd would love to have such a large tournament facility here in the Northeast.

The same general debate can be said for Southern California vs Northern California. Why is it that event producers keep putting events in Southern California - because there is a huge amount of "Local" teams that will fill up the lower ranks (D2 & D3).
Well-written.
__________________

flickr
danbob1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:01 PM #55
kINgjAKIm
VA Ballaz
 
kINgjAKIm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: VA
kINgjAKIm is playing at Living Legends III
kINgjAKIm owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kINgjAKIm supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbob1088 View Post
Says the person from VA....I'm sure you don't have any care if its in your backyard vs Boston.

Nobody is really *****ing about the drive anyway. People are making legitimate points about the success of a New England event.

Why not hold a New England event and a Florida event....then the people in the middle can choose which event they want to go to, and you actually have the east and west represented instead of the mockery it is.

And to your point about DC getting a chance - the DC event failed, the reason for the reschedule. Now they are running an event at the same location that failed to get teams almost exactly one month after their next event, right when school is starting. That's a good plan.

I already said I want to see this league succeed - I just don't agree with how they are going about it.

i doubt you've actually noticed this because you've had your head stuck up your *** for so long, but there has never even been a major event held in VA ...
and why would you want to have one on each side of the coast, why not have one in the middle so everyone on both sides of the coast can come to it and play it.
everyone would travel the same distance if its in the middle from florida or new england. please think about what youre saying before you actually post?

The DC event failed because its the 2nd event of the new league of uspl and was being only 1 month after the HB event. of course its going to fail. its a new venue and it needs time to get promotion. im 100% sure that if PSP, an already established league, was to hold a major event there, the turn up would be great.

Last edited by kINgjAKIm : 05-08-2009 at 12:45 PM.
kINgjAKIm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:17 PM #56
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew
 
Fox4paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upton, MA
Annual Supporting Member
Fox4paintball is a Professional paintball player
Fox4paintball is an Ultimate field/store owner
Fox4paintball plays in the PSP
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Fox4paintball plays in the APPA D4 division
kINgjAKIm,

I think you're missing the point. While your logic of everyone will travel the same distance is fairly sound - the result is that very few will actually travel. Its the economy - teams don't have the funding they used to - whether that's from a sponsorship or from Mom/Dad - the funds just aren't there anymore. Outside of the pro teams, how many teams would you say traveled (Air travel) to HB? I'd guess (Haven't actually looked) that is a fairly small number - mostly local teams, where local is defined as a 100 or so mile radius around the location.

Look at the evaluation between team count from GPL and NEPL. Is there even a large 7-man base in Florida? I know there are a few teams, but I think the reason why World Cup like events do so well is that for many teams that is the only event they travel for - all the vendors are there - plenty to do during the off hours, extend it into a family vacation, etc..

My guess on the three most populated (paintball player wise, team wise) is Southern California, New England and Chicago (not necessarily in that order though I believe Southern California is the leader).

As for your reasoning to why the originally scheduled DC event failed - I just don't buy it - but if I did, I would assume the same logic will apply to event 3 of the new league (the new DC open). It will only be the 3rd event of the new league (1st on the east coast), it will only be a month or so after the last event (West Coast open is July 24 - 26 and the DC Open is August 28-30). Not to mention that most college kids will be heading back to campus that last weekend of August, most high school kids will already be back in school - I know my kids started August 27th last year).

I believe I've posted significant facts as to why I believe a New England Open would draw the teams and be a money maker for the league. So - instead of insulting people, please provide us facts as to why you believe the DC Open is going to thrive.
__________________
Dave Painter
"Are you ready to play?"
Fox 4 Paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew
(508) 529-FOX4 (3694)
www.fox4paintball.com
Fox4paintball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:01 PM #57
BlackMagic2638
-Mikey2Shot-
 
BlackMagic2638's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake George, NY
BlackMagic2638 plays in the USPL
BlackMagic2638 plays in the PSP
BlackMagic2638 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
So you want the USPL to come to Boston because you are guessing teams don't want to travel, guessing New England is in the top 3 most populated areas when it comes to 7 man teams, and assuming event 3 in D.C. would fail for similar date reasons? I would hardly call those "significant facts".
BlackMagic2638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:10 PM #58
kINgjAKIm
VA Ballaz
 
kINgjAKIm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: VA
kINgjAKIm is playing at Living Legends III
kINgjAKIm owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kINgjAKIm supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagic2638 View Post
So you want the USPL to come to Boston because you are guessing teams don't want to travel, guessing New England is in the top 3 most populated areas when it comes to 7 man teams, and assuming event 3 in D.C. would fail for similar date reasons? I would hardly call those "significant facts".
exactly.
kINgjAKIm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:04 PM #59
Str8Rider.
I need a tank pm me.
 
Str8Rider.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: six0nine
Dc.
__________________
MILF
Quick Shot
1231 Rt 206 South
Shamong, NJ-609 268 8901
Str8Rider. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:13 PM #60
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew
 
Fox4paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upton, MA
Annual Supporting Member
Fox4paintball is a Professional paintball player
Fox4paintball is an Ultimate field/store owner
Fox4paintball plays in the PSP
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Fox4paintball plays in the APPA D4 division
I think you'll notice that attendence at national events has been shrinking for several years now. Do you remember the days when the NPPL sold out in hours - yes - hours.

It isn't so much that I want the USPL to come to Boston, but more importantly - I want them to succeed. I offer up the views I have public as a way to share them with whom ever might be running the show.

I see you've still come up with nothing to support a decision to continue to push DC. You hope teams will travel, which has already been put to the test and failed. You hope kids aren't returning to college. You hope kids aren't returning to High School. You hope that the 12 D2/D3 teams that attended the first GPL somehow morph into 25-30 "local" teams for the DC event.

As for coming to Boston - it seems only logical. The league has stated they need 50 teams to make it profitable/doable. That said, the NEPL drew 35 teams - add to it the 8 pro teams you're up to 43. Add to it the 6 or so traveling D1 teams and you're up to 49. You only need 1 or 2 D2 teams to travel to Boston to hit the 50 team mark. Again - I want the league to come to Boston so they survive and even thrive.

As for facts - the NEPL draws nearly 3x the number of 7-man teams as the GPL. Call it what you want, but I'd go where the teams are.

Good luck and god speed.
__________________
Dave Painter
"Are you ready to play?"
Fox 4 Paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew
(508) 529-FOX4 (3694)
www.fox4paintball.com
Fox4paintball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:47 AM #61
sumorai
FRENCHIE
 
sumorai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New England
Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
People on forums rarely seem to care about facts or reason, unfortunately.

Dave's argument is sound, but I doubt the USPL will listen. I guess we'll see who's right after the event happens. (If it happens)
__________________
Inception Designs - Clockwork Clothing - NEPb - Destructive Customs

Feedback: Old New - Stuff for sale

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:46 PM #62
baller-with-attitude
snakeside killa
 
baller-with-attitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West Warwick, RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pevsballer563 View Post
You mean whats there to do in the capital of the United States?

DC i am personally at the field it will be at every weekend and its arguably top 3 fields on east coast if not best.

Boston has had past events at it already give someone else a chance

DC
this is true, but its also the most central place to fly in teams.

also if i recall..........the boston events set records for attendance, capping out the event, and revenue to the tradeshow.

BOSTON SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN TAKEN AWAY!!!!!
__________________
Fat Kid Balla #40, RI Balla #25, Back Player Gang #21,SF Explicit Fan #28
RIP Joe Riley

Hawian Headhunters 2012
#14
baller-with-attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:48 PM #63
baller-with-attitude
snakeside killa
 
baller-with-attitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West Warwick, RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4paintball View Post
I think you'll notice that attendence at national events has been shrinking for several years now. Do you remember the days when the NPPL sold out in hours - yes - hours.

It isn't so much that I want the USPL to come to Boston, but more importantly - I want them to succeed. I offer up the views I have public as a way to share them with whom ever might be running the show.

I see you've still come up with nothing to support a decision to continue to push DC. You hope teams will travel, which has already been put to the test and failed. You hope kids aren't returning to college. You hope kids aren't returning to High School. You hope that the 12 D2/D3 teams that attended the first GPL somehow morph into 25-30 "local" teams for the DC event.

As for coming to Boston - it seems only logical. The league has stated they need 50 teams to make it profitable/doable. That said, the NEPL drew 35 teams - add to it the 8 pro teams you're up to 43. Add to it the 6 or so traveling D1 teams and you're up to 49. You only need 1 or 2 D2 teams to travel to Boston to hit the 50 team mark. Again - I want the league to come to Boston so they survive and even thrive.

As for facts - the NEPL draws nearly 3x the number of 7-man teams as the GPL. Call it what you want, but I'd go where the teams are.

Good luck and god speed.
this is why i <3 dave

also to add, the traveling issues, we will have teams that come out of new jersey and new york, because on the roster for the NEPL 1 event of 2009, they attracted teams out of jersey and new york to come play.

so dave, has his facts right and always backs them up, i feel as though if they came to boston, all the NEPL teams would most likely attend and add the pro teams, and you got urself a cap.
__________________
Fat Kid Balla #40, RI Balla #25, Back Player Gang #21,SF Explicit Fan #28
RIP Joe Riley

Hawian Headhunters 2012
#14

Last edited by baller-with-attitude : 05-09-2009 at 12:51 PM.
baller-with-attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump