Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 06:52 PM #1
Rapier7
Smarter than you
 
Rapier7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Crack and Powered Cocaine: A Look Into Government Policy

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124101257332168605.html

I always knew that crack cocaine carried a far more severe penalty than powdered cocaine, but I never knew it was 100 to 1.

Let me explain. If you get caught with 500 grams of powdered cocaine, you get incarcerated for 5 years. But if you get caught with just 5 grams of crack cocaine, you get the exact same sentence.

What the feezy?

Interestingly enough, this law is responsible for jailing a disproportionate amount black people, because of their disproportionate use of crack cocaine, so we get a racial twist as well.

And I don't mean to turn this into a "legalize drugs" argument. We're working within the regulatory framework, so only realistic suggestions.

What does ST: P think? Should we keep the current disparity in place?

In my opinion, cocaine is mother****ing cocaine. It doesn't matter how you prepare, we need to have the same consequences for when you're carrying x amount of crack cocaine or x amount of powdered cocaine. It makes no sense to have a 100 to 1 ratio for this matter.
__________________
http://metatalkingpoints.blogspot.com/ - Intelligent Commentary
Rapier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 PM #2
DarkTamer
Reaganomics!
 
DarkTamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: I'm a M*******
 has been a member for 10 years
Breaking news: Our drug policies don't make sense!!

Btw, crack is cheaper and more powerful than it's powdered counterpart. Does it warrant penalties a 100x harsher? No, of course not (anyone that pays attention to my posts know I favor zero punishment for personal drug use/possession alone anyway), but it certainly is a bigger threat.
__________________
"Originally posted by J. Stein: the purple spinny thing means it was a sarcastic comment.

jdev taught me that."

Lava Sniper 2 For sale:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...4#post63728244
DarkTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:10 PM #3
phiend
IV:XX
 
phiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Event Horizon
 has been a member for 10 years
Weren't the sentencing guidelines for crack changed not so long ago to make the penalties not quite so severe?
phiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:13 PM #4
Smart Parts Player12
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Jersey
And therein lies the fault of our justice system.
__________________
But if we get on the treadmill together, there's two things: You're getting off first, or I'm going to die. It's really that simple, right?
Smart Parts Player12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:42 PM #5
shaka zulu
OCMI/A5OG OSF
 
shaka zulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Well, you can thank Reagan, Oliver, Rick Ross and the Contras! Oh yeah and the CIA. Lol.

As others have stated, welcome to our zany drug enforcement policies.
__________________
I shoot fools....then write about it!
Snatch up some of thee hawt DeadBox tees hurr. Translation: "You may purchase, by way of electronic transfer of funds, a Deadbox T-Shirt at this IP Address."
Deadbox FB Fanpage
Leave a message and tell us what you think!
Orange County Mobile Infantry
Proudly Supported by:My Wife | SC Village l Tiberius Arms | Tippmann |

Originally Posted by CrazyLittle: Sapiens is a species. NASCAR is a RACE!!!
shaka zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:54 PM #6
pntball sniper
 
 
pntball sniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: GA
the whole "war on drugs" is a farce and a failure. Needs to be changed.
__________________
Visit the paintball sniper for paintball specials and cheap paintball guns
pntball sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:01 PM #7
Spartan58 (Banned)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: R.O.T.
The way the politicians fight it, yes. It wouldnt be hard to tell Central/South to **** off and wipe the floor with the cartels.
Spartan58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:04 PM #8
DarkTamer
Reaganomics!
 
DarkTamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: I'm a M*******
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan58 View Post
The way the politicians fight it, yes. It wouldnt be hard to tell Central/South to **** off and wipe the floor with the cartels.
Drug dealers can never be permanently eliminated.
__________________
"Originally posted by J. Stein: the purple spinny thing means it was a sarcastic comment.

jdev taught me that."

Lava Sniper 2 For sale:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...4#post63728244
DarkTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:20 PM #9
phiend
IV:XX
 
phiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Event Horizon
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTamer View Post
Drug dealers can never be permanently eliminated.
That's the part that confuses me. It's so simple to see it can never be eliminated, yet we still insist on spending billions every year trying. Wouldn't it be wiser to control as much of the drug trade as possible instead of allowing ruthless killers to do so?
phiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:40 PM #10
DarkTamer
Reaganomics!
 
DarkTamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: I'm a M*******
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phiend View Post
That's the part that confuses me. It's so simple to see it can never be eliminated, yet we still insist on spending billions every year trying. Wouldn't it be wiser to control as much of the drug trade as possible instead of allowing ruthless killers to do so?
Oh, silly phiend. Since when are our drug policies dictated by logic? Just look at the topic at hand...
__________________
"Originally posted by J. Stein: the purple spinny thing means it was a sarcastic comment.

jdev taught me that."

Lava Sniper 2 For sale:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...4#post63728244
DarkTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:51 PM #11
michbich
ಠ_ಠ
 
michbich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ON, Canadia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Parts Player12 View Post
And therein lies a fault in our justice system.
Fixed.
michbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:38 PM #12
68classicguy
no
 
68classicguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: LOUISIANA
 has been a member for 10 years
500 grams? I have no experience with cocaine, so thinking in weed terms, that is a **** load of coke
__________________
YOUR = possessive.
YOU'RE = You Are
THERE = Location
THEIR = Implies Ownership

THEY'RE = They are

Learn it, *****es.
68classicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:42 PM #13
NorCalBaller88
iFap
 
NorCalBaller88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
 has been a member for 10 years
Cocaine is more expensive than crack, hence the nickname "The rich man's drug". If more rich people do cocaine than crack, and more poor people do crack than cocaine, it doesn't make any sense to have the sentence the same, because you'd be sending rich people away for longer periods of time/more frequently.

I'm not saying that I agree with it, I'm saying that that's the way our government thinks. The law leans HIGHLY in favor of people who have money, because guess what? They pay more taxes, hence they are more valuable assets to our government.

What do you think determined where a drafted soldier went in Vietnam? If his projected life long taxable income was high, keep him to the rear, if it was low, send them to the fronts.

You're ****ed if you think real equality exists in this country.
__________________
Johns Hopkins, class of 2013
:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=597002


"Plenty of room at the Hotel California..."
NorCalBaller88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:42 PM #14
Jim96SC2
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Probably because crack, unlike cocaine, destroyed whole communities. I don't know how old a lot of you are, but the crack epidemic was pretty well covered when I was a kid in the news.
__________________
It is perfectly acceptable to use 40 years of data to determine that over 4 billion years of existance and change, mankind is destroying the earth.
Heller v. DC: The Second Amendment is now an individual right. You can't have my gun.
Election '08: Proving that America will come out and vote for well dressed BS.
Jim96SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:42 PM #15
corporationpaintball
too legit to quit
 
corporationpaintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Burlington, VT
Annual Supporting Member
corporationpaintball is a Moderator
corporationpaintball is BST Legit
corporationpaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
corporationpaintball supports our troops
corporationpaintball is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
corporationpaintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by michbich View Post
Fixed.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 68classicguy View Post
500 grams? I have no experience with cocaine, so thinking in weed terms, that is a **** load of coke
Nor do I, but judging what I've seen in movies (not very accurate, I know, but I've never handled (or seen) either of them) that would be a good bit of product. I'm sure a few of the cops in here could give you an accurate description of the size of half a key of coke.
__________________

Old Feedback (+20/-0) | New Feedback (+37/-0)
Annual Supporting Member Council Elite
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:46 PM #16
NorCalBaller88
iFap
 
NorCalBaller88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim96SC2 View Post
Probably because crack, unlike cocaine, destroyed whole communities. I don't know how old a lot of you are, but the crack epidemic was pretty well covered when I was a kid in the news.
You're not one of those guys who still believes that the CIA wasn't responsible for that, are you?
__________________
Johns Hopkins, class of 2013
:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=597002


"Plenty of room at the Hotel California..."
NorCalBaller88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:47 PM #17
corporationpaintball
too legit to quit
 
corporationpaintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Burlington, VT
Annual Supporting Member
corporationpaintball is a Moderator
corporationpaintball is BST Legit
corporationpaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
corporationpaintball supports our troops
corporationpaintball is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
corporationpaintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBaller88 View Post
You're not one of those guys who still believes that the CIA wasn't responsible for that, are you?
ACTUALLY, it was the GRU...
__________________

Old Feedback (+20/-0) | New Feedback (+37/-0)
Annual Supporting Member Council Elite
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:48 PM #18
Jim96SC2
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBaller88 View Post
You're not one of those guys who still believes that the CIA wasn't responsible for that, are you?
Yes, they killed baby seals while doing it too.
__________________
It is perfectly acceptable to use 40 years of data to determine that over 4 billion years of existance and change, mankind is destroying the earth.
Heller v. DC: The Second Amendment is now an individual right. You can't have my gun.
Election '08: Proving that America will come out and vote for well dressed BS.
Jim96SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:04 PM #19
Rapier7
Smarter than you
 
Rapier7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Cocaine is more expensive than crack, hence the nickname "The rich man's drug". If more rich people do cocaine than crack, and more poor people do crack than cocaine, it doesn't make any sense to have the sentence the same, because you'd be sending rich people away for longer periods of time/more frequently.

I'm not saying that I agree with it, I'm saying that that's the way our government thinks. The law leans HIGHLY in favor of people who have money, because guess what? They pay more taxes, hence they are more valuable assets to our government.

What do you think determined where a drafted soldier went in Vietnam? If his projected life long taxable income was high, keep him to the rear, if it was low, send them to the fronts.

You're ****ed if you think real equality exists in this country.
Going by this logic, crack shouldn't have any more of a severe penalty, because incarcerating people costs the state an unbelievable amount of money.
__________________
http://metatalkingpoints.blogspot.com/ - Intelligent Commentary
Rapier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:07 PM #20
yesme
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by corporationpaintball View Post





Nor do I, but judging what I've seen in movies (not very accurate, I know, but I've never handled (or seen) either of them) that would be a good bit of product. I'm sure a few of the cops in here could give you an accurate description of the size of half a key of coke.
a half bird is gonna look a little bigger then a red brick you use to build houses with.

if it is all powder, imagine a gallon zip lock bag bust at the seams.

or 1.1 lb = half key

Quote:
Yes, they killed baby seals while doing it too.
close

his name was barry seal, feel free to look him up.
yesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:30 PM #21
noyou
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesme View Post
a half bird is gonna look a little bigger then a red brick you use to build houses with.

if it is all powder, imagine a gallon zip lock bag bust at the seams.

or 1.1 lb = half key



close

his name was barry seal, feel free to look him up.
barry seal was an informant killed by the people he was informing on. How is that the same as the CIA killing him?
noyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump