Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-02-2002, 06:48 PM #1
ChrisLe

has been a member for 10 years
Cohiba: Tapping the offset holes

Cohiba,

From a previous post of yours you indicated you converted the offset bolt pattern on the pistol grip to the standard in line pattern. I'm planning on doing the same and would appreciate it if you could give me some info. I'm familiar with tapping but I'd like to know what size drill bit and tap you used and whether its sae or metric as well as any other relevant information you could provide.

Thanks in advance, Chris
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2002, 07:49 PM #2
cohiba
decrepit perpetual noobie

The Draguns (and most Spyder clones) use 4mm screws and I didn't want to use those, so I tapped my holes for standard #10-32 bottomline screws.

Just put your new bottomline on your grip frame, mark the spots with a marker, pin, or something. Get a drill bit that is slighter smaller than your tap, drill the holes (I highly recommend the use of a drill press if at all possible), then thread the hole with the above mentioned tap. Voila! an standard inline bottomline setup!
Blue Black Dragun #1: Freak with 12" Black TD, AA Vigilante, Snap-Back N-Bolt, Taso Turbo Valve & Pin, Maddman Springs, Bob Long LP VA + LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico 2K, ShockTech DF, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover

Blue Black Dragun #2: Black CP 10", MACDev Gladiator, 32 Deg Turbo Valve, ShockTech Delrin Bolt, ShockTech LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico Shell, KAPP DoveTail DZ, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover
Black Dragun FAQ
Old 04-02-2002, 07:54 PM #3
ChrisLe

Cohiba,

That's thats what I needed to know: The thread size........Much appreciated
Old 04-02-2002, 08:41 PM #4
Roob742
Ow! Hit in the neck AGAIN

Lightbulb Hmmm, wait a second...... [OT]

Okay, this is a little off-topic (ya'll are talking about the grip frame/drop, and I'll be talking about bolts here, but it SORT of relates, you'll see....)

How big of a size difference is there between 4mm and 10/32? I guess where I'm leading with this is in regards to that pre-threaded 10/32 N-Bolt. Would it be possible to just buy a 10/32 screw of the right length, combine it with the snap-back from the original bolt, and have yerself an N-Bolt?

Dunno if it is (not too sure on sizes... hehe, sorry, but I'm just a humble electrician, and not too keen on threads/taps/etc... If I bust or strip a bolt in something on the boat I just have an M-Div'r help me fix it )...

Anyway, was just curious and all.
  • DYE 16" Boomstick
  • 12v Revvie w/X-Board
  • PE 68/3000 HPA Tank
...and comming soon: Sniper Works Nylon Bolt, 13" Armson Stealth, and LP BABY!!!
Old 04-03-2002, 01:31 AM #5
cohiba

Roob, I haven't looked at it extensively, but as I recall, the 4mm was roughly equivalent to 8/32 screws, which are smaller.

Yes, it would be possible to do that. The only trick is finding a screw of the right length, with the appropriate amount of threading vs. smooth on the shank. You wouldn't want threading on the whole length cause then it wouldn't slide smoothly through the hole in the snapback.
Blue Black Dragun #1: Freak with 12" Black TD, AA Vigilante, Snap-Back N-Bolt, Taso Turbo Valve & Pin, Maddman Springs, Bob Long LP VA + LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico 2K, ShockTech DF, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover

Blue Black Dragun #2: Black CP 10", MACDev Gladiator, 32 Deg Turbo Valve, ShockTech Delrin Bolt, ShockTech LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico Shell, KAPP DoveTail DZ, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover
Black Dragun FAQ
Old 04-05-2002, 09:53 PM #6
speedguns

Talking something relevant

The distance between center of hole to the center of second hole is 3/4 in a stardard bottomline.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:36 PM #7
mr_pollock
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by cohiba
Roob, I haven't looked at it extensively, but as I recall, the 4mm was roughly equivalent to 8/32 screws, which are smaller.

Yes, it would be possible to do that. The only trick is finding a screw of the right length, with the appropriate amount of threading vs. smooth on the shank. You wouldn't want threading on the whole length cause then it wouldn't slide smoothly through the hole in the snapback.

I'll give you 10 bucks to do mine!
Old 04-11-2002, 11:37 AM #8
cohiba

Mr. P, it's not a matter of doing it, it's a simple matter of finding it. I just tapped my N-Bolt for the 4mm stock screw. Most people, however, would probably be better off tapping for a standard 10/32 hole (or buying the one pretapped with it) and just finding the right screw. Next time I'm in Home Depot or Lowe's, I will look, and if I find something I'll post the part number and a pic, but no promises...

Black Dragun FAQ