Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-28-2009, 08:35 PM #1
skydiver101 (Banned)

call on a possible bunker rub

I reffed at a local NCPA event today and I made a call that I'm not realy sure how it should have been handled.

I was on dorito side at about the 50. There was a player in D2 shooting out the right side down the tape. I was watching him but turned to look at another player. When I turned back I saw what looked like, from my POV, a hit on the right side of his hopper. I ran over to check it out and it still looked like a hit. I call him out and he started saying that it was bunker rub. My first thought was, he's shooting out the right side with a hit on the right side. Probably not rub unless I just barely missed him coming out the left side of the dorito as I didn't take my eyes off him for long. Also it didn't appear to be rub anyway. He went to the deadbox but was pissed off about the call. After the game he went to the head ref about it and I talked to the other refs. One ref on dorito side says he thought it was a hit, another says rub, but neither one saw it up close till after the game was over. Everyone seemed divided on whether it was a rub or hit. Either way I still say hit and am happy with my call.

My question is, in a situation like that, what is the best thing to do? I know that after the game not much can be done about it but I still want to know how exactly to handle something like that.
skydiver101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2009, 10:05 PM #2
FatalKitty
I has the awesome

FatalKitty is a Paintball photographer
FatalKitty supports Cereal Killerz 2
FatalKitty donated to help Peyton Trent
FatalKitty helped look for balloons
next time just ask the player very directly "is that a hit or is it from the bunker?" don't use the word bunker rub. if you are any judge of personality and action you will be able to tell if the play BSs you or if he is telling the truth with his answer.
And then I would give the player the benifit of the doubt and wipe the paint off... ref's can't be everywhere at once, and part of a ref's job is ensuring that everyone has a good time playing the event, so they come back next year instead of competing in a different event because of "poor reffing"

that's what I would do... but I'm not a power hungry ref who will beat your face in with the rulebook if you're cleats have more than 30% orange on them in a local tournament

Last edited by FatalKitty : 03-28-2009 at 10:08 PM.
FatalKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:22 PM #3
skydiver101 (Banned)

that makes sense.im not crazy strict either.i just havent reffed many big events like that and i wasnt sure how to handle that situation
skydiver101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:34 PM #4
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

don't stress about it too much. everyone makes a bad call, paintball isn't exactly easy to ref. just stick to what you said, don't be a total jerk about it, and try to keep the game fair for everyone.

but if you probably didn't have some guy screaming his head off asking for a check on him then it very well may have been rub.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:22 PM #5
VooDoo_Weazel
J Cro the mook

VooDoo_Weazel is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
VooDoo_Weazel plays in the PSP
VooDoo_Weazel plays in the APPA D2 division
i wouldnt sweat it, NCPA players tend to freak out more than others. I reffed one of their tournaments and EVERY time i called someone out they had to know where/why they were being eliminated.

you made the call, probably the right one, and stuck with it. nothing more you can do.
TMG OUTLAWS
VooDoo_Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 PM #6
DocR

has been a member for 10 years
DocR donated to help Peyton Trent
DocR owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DocR supports Team VICIOUS
Eh stick with your call. It honestly depends how strict you want to be and probably how many times you've been called out on bunker rub.

One good way to avoid this situation? Clean the bunkers off between points/matches. I've lost track of the times a player has tried to say something was rub to look at the bunker hes in and have absolutely NO paint on the inside of the bunker...obviously he couldn't have 'rubbed' it.

On the safe side though if you're going to call it take the time to look at the bunker closest to the player and see if there is paint on it that is obviously rubbed into. If you didn't see the hit then it can be difficult to call unless you see 'stimpling' or something that would obviously be a hit and then rubbed into the bunker.
DocR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:38 PM #7
skydiver101 V2
originally 2k7'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo_Weazel View Post
i wouldnt sweat it, NCPA players tend to freak out more than others. I reffed one of their tournaments and EVERY time i called someone out they had to know where/why they were being eliminated.

you made the call, probably the right one, and stuck with it. nothing more you can do.
yeah I had a few ask where. One even asked where he was hit after being shot in the damn forehead! He had a headband but I dont see how he couldnt know. It pissed me off.

We cleaned them off every few games and there was a little paint on the bunker. The hit looked like it barely hit the hopper, wasn't a huge spray or anything but from my experience looked like a hit.

Thanks for the help guys
skydiver101 V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:46 PM #8
gunz_52
NPPL > USPL

Ive had similar situations to that with NPPL events, the best thing (in my opinion) to do is to go ahead and call the elimination. Especially if it looks like a hit and not a rub.
gunz_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:56 AM #9
XRidgelinerX
Old Guy and IYAOYAS

Stick with your call!

I used to umpire softball and have reffed basketball.

In paintball, and in many sports, some offenders/cheaters will always protest a call. They know you probably wont reverse this one, but they hope you will doubt yourself and let the next one go.

If you were doing the best you could and you made an honest decision then don't doubt yourself and make the exact same call next time.
XRidgelinerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 PM #10
m_taylor

Here's a quote from the CXBL rulebook. (Extremely similar to the PSP book, and most others as well) It basically covers your *** extremely well.

Quote:
10.3.1.4.If the paint marking is reasonably solid and the size of a quarter (approx. 1”) or larger,
it will be considered a valid hit.
If there's enough rub it can be considered a hit.
m_taylor is offline   Reply With Quote