PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-27-2009, 10:02 PM #1
majorbromly

Bought a new Sp-1 and I have couple problems

Okay...

1. Balls roll out as if there are no detents at all

2. Gun fires inconsistantly with what I was told was a new battery [questionable of course]

I'm using Co2 with an anti-siphon and really poor quality paintballs. I'd like to fix this myself before taking the hour drive to the shop where I bought it.

Any help?
majorbromly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:07 PM #2
Focus02

Buy a new battery.

Try newer paintballs to prevent them rollout out past the detents..

If your using an antisiphon tank, you'll want to remove the wedge between the grip and asa, so the tank is more level.

Did I mention to try a fresh battery?
Focus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:45 PM #3
RogueShooter

You kinda already answered your own question here man... if you know you're shooting bad paint, and have a questionable battery... Wouldn't the first thing to do be change those, shoot it again, and THEN, if you're still having problems, post here?

If you try that, and it doesn't help, completely degas an unload the marker remove the hopper and barrel. Shine a light into the feedneck and look down the front of the marker and see if you can see two small nubs on either side of the firing can... if you can't see any, or only see one, then you have one or more detents missing. If they're both there, I'd call SP since you may need new ones.

Inconsistent shooting can also be because of your reg setting- if the pressure is too high it may shoot a couple of times and then puff air out of the grip, then shoot a couple of times again, etc. Back off the reg a 1/4 turn, take a few shots and see if it improves.
GOG/DLX - Valken - QuickShot Paintball - FogDoc.com - TechT - Deadlywind
RogueShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:53 PM #4
majorbromly

Eh, I mostly threw this up so I won't have to later. I'll grab another battery tomorrow.

As far as detents go. I have not been able to see any sign of them.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:45 PM #5
Faker

Get ready for a lot of problems. My SP1 is a junker. Here's a list of other things you should know:

1. You will need lots o batteries. As soon as they die even a slight amount the gun needs a new one, otherwise you get lots and lots of problems shooting. Sometimes it will even seem like the gun is freezing up... it's not. change the battery and it'll all go away

2. Snug up the grip screws while pulling the trigger. Screw in the top screw too much and the trigger locks up

3. Be careful taking out your bolt, sometimes there are threads in the gun that can scratch up the bolt assembly

4. Cardboard in the grip cavity stops the battery from rattling around
Faker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:00 PM #6
[NA]WARLORD

[NA]WARLORD is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
[NA]WARLORD has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
[NA]WARLORD supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus02 View Post
If your using an antisiphon tank, you'll want to remove the wedge between the grip and asa, so the tank is more level.
Why is that ? The wedge will help prevent liquid from entering into the gun.
[NA]WARLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:53 PM #7
PhileyOFish

PhileyOFish supports Bob Gurnsey
http://www.smartparts.com/#/vibe/videos/

Check out that vid regarding CO2
PhileyOFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:47 PM #8
Focus02

For those who didn't watch the video.

The wedge works for those tanks that are not anti-siphoned, keeping the liquid back away from the asa.
The the tank is A/S'd, then the tube is in the center of the tank, designed for the tank to be horizontal. If the tank is not horizontal, it is more likely to siphon co2..
Old 03-28-2009, 11:20 PM #9
majorbromly

Okay, end thread. My gun's good to go, it was indeed void of detents but everything's resolved.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:09 PM #10
[NA]WARLORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhileyOFish View Post
http://www.smartparts.com/#/vibe/videos/

Check out that vid regarding CO2
So where did it say to remove the wedge and why ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus02 View Post
If the tank is not horizontal, it is more likely to siphon co2..
Actually, it wont unless its submerged in C02 like a standard tank. The wedge will insure that the a/s tube is above the liquid allowing room for the gas to expand unless the gun is tilted forward. Also, a proper a/s tube looks like " J " where the hook part bends back towards the top of the valve. This keeps the a/s tube in the gaseous part of the tank and reduces liquid from entering the tube all together. The one in the video looks like it could/will, more then likely, draw liquid at any time.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:24 PM #11
Focus02

2:10 into the video named Vibe and SP1 CO2 setup.

Sean has a cut-away co2 tank so you can see where the liquid is in relation to the A/S tube inlet.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:54 PM #12
[NA]WARLORD

I realize what vid you were refering to, but nowhere in the video did it mention to remove the wedge. Also, he never said how c02 was in the tank or how much to fill the tank too. We used to fill a 20 oz tank to 16 oz to keep the liquid at a safe level back in the Mag/Cocker days as neither of those guns operated on liquid at all.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:51 PM #13
Gado

Taken from the gas firing addendum sheet
http://www.smartparts.com/Manuals/Vi...endum_V2.1.pdf
Quote:
ANTI-SIPHON
For safety reasons, anti-siphons must be professionally installed. Twenty-ounce Smart ValveTM CO2 tanks are available from your Authorized Smart Parts dealer with an anti-siphon tube factory installed. The anti-siphon is a small, hooked tube inside the tank that works like a diver’s snorkel. When the tank is horizontal and properly aligned, the tube draws gas from the top side of the tank. If you use an anti-siphon tank with your Vibe or SP-1, best performance can be obtained by removing the wedge and mounting the bottom-line adapter directly to the grip frame, so that the CO2 tank sits in a horizontal position while firing. Use of a replacement hose may be required for a proper fit. Also make sure that the tank is screwed in to a position where the anti-siphon tube is on top (usually marked by a line or “X” scribed into the valve.)
Gado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:45 PM #14
[NA]WARLORD

Ok, but answer this, if the A/S tube is horizontal and above the liquid, how is it going to improve performance, if it is angled, and above the liquid ? Also, if it's angled, isnt the angle going to increase the amount of gaseous space between the a/s tube and the liquid
Old 03-29-2009, 09:08 PM #15
aviator11

Quote:
Originally Posted by [NA]WARLORD View Post
Ok, but answer this, if the A/S tube is horizontal and above the liquid, how is it going to improve performance, if it is angled, and above the liquid ? Also, if it's angled, isnt the angle going to increase the amount of gaseous space between the a/s tube and the liquid
I think the problem is how you are envisioning the A/S tube in relation to the tank. When installed it goes straight from the tanks nozzle before curving upwards toward the side of the tank. Thus when you have the CO2 tank perfectly horizontal the liquid inside will also be horizontal, and the space occupied by the gas will be spread out along the entire side of the tank that would be "up". If the tank is angled the pocket of gas will be orientated differently and the A/S tube may be left in the liquid. I have drawn a quick illustration, with a slight exageration in the angled case but I'm sure you understand. The tube needs to be out of the liquid for it to function properly.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:51 PM #16
[NA]WARLORD

Your illustration is over exaggerated as no tank is angled that extreme. Having installed siphon and anti siphon tubes in the past I am well aware where the tube is placed and how. The tube inside the tank is shaped like a fish hook, or the ones we used where anyway. they curve and go back up to the top of the tank, towards the valve. Having a wedge vs going horizontal will make no difference in the way the a/s tube will work. This we know for a fact as most of the Automag/Autocockers duckbills/bottom lines had an angle built into them back in the day. Also, a properly filled (by weight) 20 oz c02 tank will be half full of liquid once the tanks temp stabilizes.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:05 AM #17
Gado

Quote:
Originally Posted by [NA]WARLORD View Post
I realize what vid you were refering to, but nowhere in the video did it mention to remove the wedge. Also, he never said how c02 was in the tank or how much to fill the tank too. We used to fill a 20 oz tank to 16 oz to keep the liquid at a safe level back in the Mag/Cocker days as neither of those guns operated on liquid at all.
In this video at 2:15-2:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MosJ02sAIhc
He says you should remove the wedge.
Gado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 AM #18
ilovekitties
I love kitties

i think everyone (with a few exceptions) that has problems with their SP-1 is user error. i have one of the first hundred ever made. i have completley taken it apart multiple times just for fun, i have NEVER had any problems of any kind.
Spyder Extra- Sold
Diablo Wrath- Sold
Diablo AR-1- Sold
Smart Parts Sp-1, Freak barrel
WGP Autococker-(Frankencocker)
ilovekitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:30 AM #19
OKCFrog
OK Company

OKCFrog posts videos on PbNation
OKCFrog has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovekitties View Post
i think everyone (with a few exceptions) that has problems with their SP-1 is user error. i have one of the first hundred ever made. i have completley taken it apart multiple times just for fun, i have NEVER had any problems of any kind.
You speak the truth, lover of kitties
OKCFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:58 AM #20
[NA]WARLORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gado View Post
In this video at 2:15-2:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MosJ02sAIhc
He says you should remove the wedge.
I still don't buy it and Sean has been proven wrong on many different occasions. I'm not saying Sean doesn't know what he's talking about, but I am saying I disagree with him here.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:38 AM #21
majorbromly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovekitties View Post
Wait so when I handed the man behind the counter my money I destroyed my ball detents?