Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D4 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
Why 2 boards

It seems like a terrible idea imop but there has to be a reason they did it .

So why 2 boards in shockers ?

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2009, 06:40 PM #2
Gisgo09
vGisgo

I'm fairly certain it was due to the lack of space inside the frame. But I wasn't there when they designed it and don't know anyone who was so don't quote me on it. But yes they could do it better these days. Although its probably not cost effective to change it now so they keep it as is.

http://www.lurkerpb.com/
Gisgo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:38 PM #3
youngin
youngin

it might have been, to make it cheaper for people to buy aftermarket boards.
youngin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 PM #4
Cpt_Carnage
vvvShocker Treevvv

in 2k3, there weren't many aftermarket boards to speak of. like was and morlock are the only i can think of. smartparts had been using the same two-board design in the impulse, and that wasn't for lack of space. they seem to have a talent for creating akward board designs (ion, shocker, nerve all use solenoids soldered to boards. shocker, nerve, impulse, all use two-board setups [ion could be considered here too]. A hesitance to move towards wired eyes also frustrates me...)

Tech4hire.
Team Ice Ftw.
Cpt_Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 PM #5
ipodpeter35
Jizzed in My Pants

ipodpeter35 helped look for balloons
Maybe YDNA will jump in and tell us why.
ipodpeter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:08 PM #6
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D4 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
yeah it does.

when i got my shocker and the eyes didnt work i was like **** ribbon eyes when i took it apart and saw the rip. hey they arnt the only ones wdp still uses that design due to space issues (though sp could pull of wired eyes i think).

wow i didnt realize they always did that did the shoebox have 2 boards too?

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:45 PM #7
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Ydna is BST Trusted
nah brick Shockers only had one board. Impulses did too before they added Vision (lol). The reason there's two in Imps was to avoid using a wire harness and allow the frame/circuit housing to be separated from the body without undoing any of the electronics (which it does nicely) unfortunately the board-to-board connector sometimes ran into alignment issues...the only downside.

With Shockers and Nerves it was an issue of keeping the trigger switch attached to the circuit board, while at the same time having an externally-accessible operation button that was also physically attached to the circuit board too. In this case it meant breaking the boards apart and making two of them, one in front of the frame and another in back (err top).

Avoiding wires for the buttons and switches is a good idea, but they really didn't have any way to eliminate ALL the wires in there no matter what they did.

This is actually a major design point in some markers since integrating the boards often requires somewhat large changes to the surrounding parts so everything will go nicely. Not many companies go very far to blend the two together, since it's logistically not possible unless the person doing the mech design understands the board hardware needs, or the electronics person understands the intricacies of machining, or any combo of the two. (wink)

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Ydna is offline   Reply With Quote