Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 02:10 PM #64
MPS_Dan
Midwest Paintball Series
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kansas
JT, I can't remember our conversation specifcally about the player you are speaking of. Like Tim said though, If I didn't allow him to stay at L4, there is a reason.

More than likely, if this Drew kid won a L4 event last season and is wanting to play L4 again this season with other experienced players, then chances are that I did say NO. However, if Drew wants to play L4 again with a couple of new players that have little or no tourney expereince, then I will consider that.

If you would like to talk about this in greater detail, email me at midwestpaintballseries@cox.net
__________________
Dan
MPS_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2009, 03:16 PM #65
Underachievers-buck
Rampage Paintball
 
Underachievers-buck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wamego
why dont we just keep the same rules for everyone. keep it simple. im hearing and see alot of bs that is going on. just play paintball, who cares if your in level4 or level 3. play what you qualify for. dont try to play down to win events. **** just play ****ing paintball
Underachievers-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:26 PM #66
1w00d
EA OG
 
1w00d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: *316*
1w00d plays in the PSP
1w00d supports Team VICIOUS
1w00d supports Team VICIOUS
1w00d plays in the APPA D4 division
Drew's not trying to play down. The other guys were hoping he could. The little bugger thought it was cool to say he couldn't play L4 any more because he had to bump up.
__________________
THE EDGE Bob Long WichitaPaintball.com
AC THREAT
1w00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:26 PM #67
cj9 11
 
 
cj9 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas
cj9 11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cj9 11 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
cj9 11 plays in the APPA D5 division
Making EVERYONE follow the qualifications would solve a lot of problems and fighting. Once you start making an exception here....and an exception there....then not over there....then the next thing you know everyones fighting on the internet and getting upset because you let player A get by but not player B. If you let one guy slide because lets say hes only 1 tournament over qualified, but then the next guy comes along that 2 tournaments over qualified were do you draw the line? If you draw the line at 1 tournament over qualified then why not just put that in the rules with to begin with? If I remember back to the post about going to appa correctly it was to create more consistency.....that was the entire point of us having to pay more for appa. I along with I would guess 99% of people are perfectly happy paying an extra 6 bucks a player if it cuts out sandbagging, but if your just going to go threw appa and make exceptions then now why are we paying $30 more?

Anyone see were I'm going with this?
__________________
Marine Corps
Midwest Army
cj9 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:22 PM #68
MPS_Dan
Midwest Paintball Series
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underachievers-buck View Post
why dont we just keep the same rules for everyone. keep it simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9 11 View Post
Once you start making an exception here....and an exception there....then not over there....then the next thing you know everyones fighting on the internet and getting upset because you let player A get by but not player B. If you let one guy slide because lets say hes only 1 tournament over qualified, but then the next guy comes along that 2 tournaments over qualified were do you draw the line? If you draw the line at 1 tournament over qualified then why not just put that in the rules with to begin with?
Because every team and every player’s circumstances are different and I look at every team/player’s situation on a case by case basis.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9 11 View Post
If I remember back to the post about going to appa correctly it was to create more consistency.....that was the entire point of us having to pay more for appa. I along with I would guess 99% of people are perfectly happy paying an extra 6 bucks a player if it cuts out sandbagging, but if your just going to go threw appa and make exceptions then now why are we paying $30 more? Anyone see were I'm going with this?
No, I don’t see where you are going with this. We’re talking about a L4 player bumping down to L3… and your bring up APPA. Two different things IMO.

APPA will prove its value after this first year of using it as we learn which teams/players play in the events and how they place. The discussion going on at the moment is a player who wanted to play down (and from the email I got this afternoon, he isn’t playing down anyways so I have no idea why we are wasting our time with this conversation…. But since it has been started, I’ll justify my reason).

The reason I allow players to play down with other NON-EXPERIENCED PLAYERS, is so that new players come into the sport and that benefits everyone… not just me or the MPS but the local paintball businesses in general (fields/stores).

Whenever I do let a player play down with other non-experienced players, I always have that stipulation where if they do place, they must bump up the next event. I’ve been doing it this way since the MPS started (5 years now) and this system has worked thus far.
__________________
Dan
MPS_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:46 PM #69
big EB
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
big EB plays in the PSP
big EB supports Team VICIOUS
big EB plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPS_Dan View Post
Because every team and every player’s circumstances are different and I look at every team/player’s situation on a case by case basis.
And that is why I believe this tournament series will never live up to it's potential. Don't get me wrong, the tournaments are great, but you can't make exceptions to the rules as CJ was saying. It will only continue to cause problems. From our perspective, it looks like you are giving some teams/players special treatment.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MPS_DAN View Post
No, I don’t see where you are going with this. We’re talking about a L4 player bumping down to L3… and your bring up APPA. Two different things IMO.
I am going to have to again agree with CJ. APPA is being used to classify players, you are allowing players to play a level that they are overqualified for. In your rules it states that on a Level 2 roster, you are allowed one Level 1 player. There is no such rule for Level 3 or 4 (allowing one player from a level higher to play). If you are going to allow this for some people, then in my opinion there should be a rule that gives ALL teams that option, not just a select few.
big EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:47 PM #70
cj9 11
 
 
cj9 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas
cj9 11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cj9 11 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
cj9 11 plays in the APPA D5 division
EDIT: ^We posted at the same time, but he pretty much nailed it. Consistency, consistency, consistency

Thank you for the reply Dan. I wasn't referring directly to this case, just as an overall. I do not feal as though adding my opinion into the mix is a waste of time. Whatever happens in L3 and L4 has absolutly no effect at all on me. I'm not arguing your decisions because they are that, your decisions. What I am bringing up however is putting some of this into the rules o avoid the last 2 pages of this thread. I hate the lines "rules are subject to change....The ultimate decision is up to the promoter.....On a situation to situation basis....ect."

I honestly dont care much about the rules. 2 bps/50 bps, semi/full auto, 5 man/4 people with point dogs, paintball is paintball. As long as it's the same rules for each team on the opposing sides of the field then it is fair am I right?
__________________
Marine Corps
Midwest Army
cj9 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:46 PM #71
MPS_Dan
Midwest Paintball Series
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kansas
Guys, I respect your decisions and opinions. But lets meet in the middle on our points of view. I agree with you 100% that there needs to be some level of consistency and I feel I have made several attempts this season to gain that level of consistency. You though should understand my point of view which is that each team or player’s eligibility for a level is taken by a case by case basis and If I feel they are NOT sandbagging and if I feel that by allowing a certain player to bump down will BETTER THE MPS AND THE SPORT OF PAINTBALL in general by introducing new players into the sport, then yes, I will allow it! You can either agree with it, or not agree with it. You can either play, or not play… the decision is entirely yours.

Understand that I will NEVER allow a team to play a level lower than what they should be playing if I feel that they will walk all over the other teams. I’m not that kind of person! My main goal is to make a majority of you all happy (I’ve accepted the fact that I will never make you all happy)… what is the saying, you can please some of the people all the time, but you’re never going to please all the people some of the time.

Cj911, I’m not trying to be an anrse, but like you said… “Whatever happens in L3 and L4 has absolutly no effect at all on me”… if that is the case, why are we even talking about it? You say, “just as an overall”. The way you say that indicates that the entire series is f’d up with no consistency and that there are 60+ teams out there sandbagging. Please give me specifics of what other players are playing a level they shouldn’t be playing that is against the MPS rules. The only player that I can think of is this L4 player and I’ve given my reason why several times as to why he is allowed to play a lower level. If you want to play a lower level, find a few newbies and I’ll consider it!

The series is in its 5th year (I think) and over the years, the turnouts have been increasing each year and this event one is turning out to be a record breaking event as far as the number of teams… So I must be doing something right. I will add that the MPS is not and will never be perfect. But it is what it is. It is a local series that is trying to accommodate as many players as possible so that a majority of those players can play competitive paintball and have fun and earn some nice prizes. This is something I do on the side in what little free time I have outside of my career, family and church life. I do the best that I can and from what I’ve gathered, what I’ve done over the years has proven itself to satisfy most of the players. I strongly encourage you and any other player to start up their own series and run it how you see fit. (PLEASE! I want to play and I can’t play my own events).  Then by running your own series, you can maybe understand where I am coming from on some of my decisions.
__________________
Dan
MPS_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:49 PM #72
MPS_Dan
Midwest Paintball Series
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kansas
I'm done talking about this... got about a thousand things I gotta do to get ready for this event. Good luck everyone!

Dan
__________________
Dan
MPS_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 PM #73
cj9 11
 
 
cj9 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas
cj9 11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cj9 11 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
cj9 11 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPS_Dan View Post
Cj911, I’m not trying to be an anrse, but like you said… “Whatever happens in L3 and L4 has absolutly no effect at all on me”… if that is the case, why are we even talking about it? You say, “just as an overall”. The way you say that indicates that the entire series is f’d up with no consistency and that there are 60+ teams out there sandbagging. Please give me specifics of what other players are playing a level they shouldn’t be playing that is against the MPS rules. The only player that I can think of is this L4 player and I’ve given my reason why several times as to why he is allowed to play a lower level. If you want to play a lower level, find a few newbies and I’ll consider it!
I understand it is a very difficult task to express tone and emotion via text. I'm not attacking you or the series, trying to cause drama, or take part in pointless arguing over the internet which wastes peoples time. I never once intentionally indicated the entire series was "f'd up" because if it was my team wouldn't be playing the events. The reason we do play is that MPS is a great series that puts on great events. Our existence as a team started as a free agent team in event 1 last year and has since centered around playing the series. I'm aware of the hard work you've put into making this series what it is today, and am in no way saying anything to down that.

All I'm getting at is let's try to put this stuff in the rules so it's fair for everyone. Sure I dont play L4, but as a player of MPS I would like to see it be as successful as possible. I'm not saying these players are neccesiarly sandbagging, neither am I saying they are going to come in and rape the event. They could loose every game and I would still have the argument.

Your the promoter, you make the rules. I'm just providing input as a player. If you dont want input from the players that make your events possible then that's fine. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm not saying you have to take my suggestions, I'm just adding my opinion into the pool. I'm just as sick of all the bickering and fighting between the players about who is sandbagging and what not as you are. So I thought I'd throw our some ideas. April 4th I'll walk right up to you and shake your hand, if anything I'm just trying to be helpful.
__________________
Marine Corps
Midwest Army

Last edited by cj9 11 : 03-23-2009 at 07:47 PM.
cj9 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:10 PM #74
MPS_Dan
Midwest Paintball Series
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kansas
I appreciate your comments and opinions and what you have to say is noted.

thanks,

Dan
__________________
Dan
MPS_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:46 PM #75
..TJ..
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Dan I didnt mean for this to get started and I know your doing it for paintball but the point he was trying to make is that if you make rules they should be enforced I mean we are all equals out there and sure they may be new guys we were new guys to but had fun still. I dont have a problem with your decision I wanted drew whos 12 to get to play since he doesnt have anyone else to play with just put yourself in a players shoes would you want rules bent for them?

Also MPS is a great serious we love it at the edge if the kid on affliction plays you will see no public outburst from me or my team we will not complain I can promise that we will be out there to have fun and play paintball
__________________
Edge Army

Last edited by ..TJ.. : 03-23-2009 at 09:49 PM.
..TJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:54 PM #76
MPS_Dan
Midwest Paintball Series
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kansas
Hey TJ, I didn't take your comments offensively. I am just confused because from the email i got today is that Drew doesn't want to play L4. If this isn't the case, email me and we can talk about it.

Keep in mind though, I usually only allow players to bump down when they play with players who have NOT played in tournaments before. So if you and your 2nd team mate (other than drew) have any tourney experience, then chances are it won't be allowed.

Dan
__________________
Dan
MPS_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:03 PM #77
..TJ..
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Alright good this topic kinda got out of hand and I was just letting you know you wont get any problems from us about it and I was apoligizing for getting this stirred up
__________________
Edge Army
..TJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump