To add to this tuning guide, I developed a more exact way to help set your dwell. Depending on if you have the time and a laptop, this Excel file will help you set your dwell correctly based on more exact calculations (averages).
Basically it does all of the calculations to help you sweet spot your dwell. All you have to do it sit in front of a chrono with a laptop and hammer the readings in. Time consuming? Yes, but its dead on.
You can download the worksheet and our results (last two tabs) directly from this link:
-Dwell Setting Excel Program-
-Click the link and choose SAVE
-Enter all values in the blue highlighted boxes.
-Set the LPR first; keep the dwell at the stock 10.5ms; chrono until you reach an average of 290fps in cell B35. You may have to take several sets of readings to get the first column to average out to the desired FPS.
-When you reach 290fps, lower your dwell to 10ms, fire several shots to reset the dwell and take the second set of readings in column C.
-Continue the process of lowering the dwell in .5ms increments, shooting several shots to reset the dwell and take a new set of readings.
-Once the delta (or change from the original 290fps) in row 36 hits a value of -10 (~ 280 fps), a note in row 38 will pop up instructing the user to stop and increase their dwell by .5ms.
-Your dwell has then been set to your custom “sweet spot”.
Myself and another team member tested this file yesterday with our two Egos and it worked like a charm. I started the tuning guide at an average of 288fps and landed at a dwell of 8.5. My teammate started at an average of 291fps and landed at a dwell of 8.0.
We both started with our dwell at 10.5ms and 1 turn in on the LPR. I have the new smaller inner diameter solenoid barb installed and we both just installed the Cure 3 bolt. After tuning both markers, they shot beautifully.
After shooting nearly two cases yesterday, I pulled the rammer out to check the o-rings. The new solenoid barb and lower dwell seems to have fixed any o-ring shredding issues. Here's what my rammer looked like after installing the new solenoid barb and lowering my dwell:
-New Ego 09 shredding o-rings thread-
After following this performance guide and lowering my dwell to 8.5, I wanted to test efficiency so I filled up my tank to 3250psi and got 1350 shots. That calculates to 1869 shots on a true 4500psi fill.
After providing feedback to PE on the new solenoid barb and tuning results, they find that to be great efficiency.
On a side note, all testing was done at New Breed Paintball
in West Milford, NJ. Thanks to Sky and Joe for their help.
This is a great field with a new, all grass, regulation size X-Ball field opening on June 6th and 7th
. Check them out!