Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-20-2009, 01:20 AM #1
Dpeachy

New to Shockers

Hey guys i could use some help from the great smartparts community.

Im returning to play paint ball after about 2.5 years and could use some help.

I used to be a hardcore smartparts fan owning two impulses and then finally

buying into the Nerve when it was released. Dont get me wrong, the Nerve

was a great gun and all but not near worth the 1k i spent on it. From then on

i was not about to take a chance on a shocker.

So im coming from a somewhat upped PM6 and was wondering if the 09NXT

Shocker is worth the buy over some other guns such as the Vice,egos ETC.

Or should i just stick it out with the trusty proto.

I also heard shocker have a nasty roll back issue with the bolt and paintball

causing way more breaks than most guns would which would be a huge turn off. Can any confirm this and give me some pros and cons of shocker it would be very much appreciated thanks!
Dpeachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2009, 08:58 AM #2
M£aTball
♥ Bojankles ♥

My shocker shoots absolutely awesome and it rarely, if ever, breaks paint. As long as you maintain it well and keep good care of it (lubing is a biggie), it should shoot perfect
Old 03-20-2009, 10:34 AM #3
K-9
name's ryon. hi

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
K-9 plays in the PSP
K-9 donated to help Peyton Trent
K-9 supports DLX Technology
zdspb.com
K-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 AM #4
keyz

with my shocker it barely breaks paint unless im using cheap paint so just use good paint and you shouldnt have any problems. and like meatball said lube that gun alot
keyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:34 AM #5
GreenStreetElite01
Dude, these are isotopes

GreenStreetElite01 plays in the PSP
GreenStreetElite01 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
GreenStreetElite01 plays in the APPA D4 division
I've pretty much never broken paint with my shocker NXT and I'm starting my third season with it. I do have nasty rollback with very small bore paint(diablo heat in particular) and have ended up just going eyes off and still haven't broken any paint. Very solid gun for the price as long as you stay ahead of maintenance.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:23 PM #6
shooter686

shooter686 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
shooter686 plays in the APPA D5 division
shooter686 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
shooter686 supports DLX Technology
yup...welcome back...!

to begin with...you will be getting biased opinion from us as this is after all the shocker thread forum..

objectively -- you should shoot the proto and the shocker side by side for several weeks so you can best evaluate what feels better to you..

but to get you started i suggest write down the individual specs of the two markers and compare its respective +/-'s.. and also check all the excellent online resources for additional info on the shocker..

any gun (or most markers at least!), well tech'd and maintained, using good paint and having good bore match (paint-barrel) will always shoot and feel good...

to add my own personal comments...i've gone thru this wicked cycle of gun ownership and after all that has been done and said...i've recently picked up my dynasty shocker to add to my arsenal again and shoot beside my ego's..

(impulse - nxt shocker - 07 ego, sl66, 08 ego, sft shocker, sl8r, dm6, dynasty nxt shocker)

good luck with your selection and purchase!

DaLUXE MOB

Purple/Silver Splash 1.0 Luxe
My Current Marker Inventory
shooter686 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:35 PM #7
Staninator
Murderin' fools since '89

Staninator owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I have a proto and a shocker. I love my proto with a passion. I have never broken paint in my proto and it cycles very smoothly. It's quiet and has almost no kick. I have yet to shoot my shocker because I am waiting for my tank but from what I have experienced in the past, they are amazing markers but they have a bit more kick and I hear they chop more paint. I have yet to experience this but I will see when I start playing with my shocker I say get one
Old 03-20-2009, 01:07 PM #8
Dpeachy

Thanks guys you have been a ton of help as usual! (not sarcastic). Do shockers require more maintenance than a matrix? And if i buy an NXT will it come with the modes i need to get back into the tournament level play? Also, what board do private label shockers that are not 2009 come with?

Last edited by Dpeachy : 03-20-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:35 PM #9
shooter686

shooter686 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
shooter686 plays in the APPA D5 division
shooter686 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
shooter686 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeachy View Post
Thanks guys you have been a ton of help as usual! (not sarcastic). Do shockers require more maintenance than a matrix? And if i buy an NXT will it come with the modes i need to get back into the tournament level play? Also, what board do private label shockers that are not 2009 come with?
i haven't had the chance to own a pm and outside of my dm6 haven't shot any dye markers...but i can safely say that the shocker is an easy beast to tame...

just make sure you clean and lube the marker after each game with sleek (dow33)..pay particular attention any damaged or scuffed oring and replace them as needed then you should be fine....

keep your settings stock and don't try to lower your dwell too much at the sacrifice of performance (vis a vis air efficiency)..

the stock boards have the needed game settings (semi, ramping, psp, etc) and for local tourny's should be more than enough...

one last unsolicited advice... go easy on the upgrades and grow with your marker first (spending your cash on paint and field/tourny fees first) before trying to bring your marker to the next level..

bottom line is always think -- must have as against just plain nice to have!

DaLUXE MOB

Purple/Silver Splash 1.0 Luxe
My Current Marker Inventory
shooter686 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:22 PM #10
mryella
Pink Lady DC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter686 View Post
the stock boards have the needed game settings (semi, ramping, psp, etc) and for local tourney's should be more than enough...
I'm pretty sure (unless they changed boards since 08) that the boards come with semi, rebound1,2,3 etc. and really only the semi one is tournament legal since you must open the grip to change settings.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:14 PM #11
StoneyCrook
Aggressive Paintball Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryella View Post
I'm pretty sure (unless they changed boards since 08) that the boards come with semi, rebound1,2,3 etc. and really only the semi one is tournament legal since you must open the grip to change settings.
The 09 Shocker came out with the update that the first gentlemen was talking about. In my opinion, if you have the money get the Vice. I am a proud shocker owner. But pound for pound, dollar for dollar, i've shot and seen them shoot. They are unbelievable. Now if you don't have the cash, get the shocker. You won't regret it. It's a great a gun and is reliable as long as you keep up with maintenance.

And if you buy a stock shocker you're going to to want to upgrade it
-ASA
-Reg
-Board
-Eyes
-Trigger
Dye Stubby

I like to rush, that is all. :)
StoneyCrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:09 PM #12
Reaper (ACI)
We're Weird

Reaper (ACI) works for a Paintball manufacturer
Reaper (ACI) donated to help Peyton Trent
Reaper (ACI) is for the Gunfight
Reaper (ACI) is for the Gunfight
09 NXT comes with the tournament board, with NXL, PSP, etc. pre-set. So there really is no need for an aftermarket board. I also believe there is no need for a new Reg., Eyes, or ASA, as the stock all perform well. The trigger is definitely going to be personal preference as always. I like the stock, but many people I know and play with do not.
www.deadboxsports.com

I have LEGO Paintballer Mini Figs
Reaper (ACI) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:13 PM #13
StoneyCrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper (ACI) View Post
09 NXT comes with the tournament board, with NXL, PSP, etc. pre-set. So there really is no need for an aftermarket board. I also believe there is no need for a new Reg., Eyes, or ASA, as the stock all perform well. The trigger is definitely going to be personal preference as always. I like the stock, but many people I know and play with do not.
I don't know much about the new board. I know that I have the RL Virtue board and it kicks butt. The stock ASA is horrible though. It will tear up your threads and airflow is minimal. It's meant for CO2 not HPA. And the stock trigger will decrease your rate of fire. It's too close to the gun.
Dye Stubby

Old 03-21-2009, 12:09 AM #14
Dpeachy

thanks for all the useful info ill most likely check into getting a shocker i have my eyes on a naughty dog NXT atm for around 450$ is that good?
Old 03-21-2009, 04:28 AM #15
ipodpeter35
Jizzed in My Pants

ipodpeter35 helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyCrook View Post
The 09 Shocker came out with the update that the first gentlemen was talking about. In my opinion, if you have the money get the Vice. I am a proud shocker owner. But pound for pound, dollar for dollar, i've shot and seen them shoot. They are unbelievable. Now if you don't have the cash, get the shocker. You won't regret it. It's a great a gun and is reliable as long as you keep up with maintenance.

And if you buy a stock shocker you're going to to want to upgrade it
-ASA
-Reg
-Board
-Eyes
-Trigger
In my personal experiences the stock SP regs, ASAs, and eyes have worked fine. You would only need to buy eyes if you have an SFT with no vision which very few do now. The board, ya, it isn't very good but I haven't used the "updated" SP board yet. The stock trigger isn't too great either I will agree.

Vices are amazing though. I owned one and it shot great, was very efficient, and cleaning was simple. A gun that needs nothing to be upgraded.
ipodpeter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:11 AM #16
russianlegion3

Your pm6 isn;t outdated and will work perfectly if you don't feel like spending money.

Now to be honest, there are better options for a marker other than a shocker(i.e. used DM7's, PM8's, etc.), but if you put enough time into a shocker it can be one of the best markers out there.
russianlegion3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:52 PM #17
StoneyCrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianlegion3 View Post
Your pm6 isn;t outdated and will work perfectly if you don't feel like spending money.

Now to be honest, there are better options for a marker other than a shocker(i.e. used DM7's, PM8's, etc.), but if you put enough time into a shocker it can be one of the best markers out there.
Russianlegion FTW
Dye Stubby

Old 03-22-2009, 10:36 AM #18
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uziel Gal supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeachy View Post
And if i buy an NXT will it come with the modes i need to get back into the tournament level play? Also, what board do private label shockers that are not 2009 come with?
To clarify, as has been stated, if you buy a *2009* NXT, then it will come with a board with tournament specific modes. All NXT Shockers - including the PL models - made prior to 2009 have the Nerve board. This has semi auto and four levels of "Rebound" - rebound is basically ramping. The difference between the four rebound settings is the number of times per second you have to pull the trigger in order for the marker to start ramping.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:58 PM #19
Dpeachy

Thanks man. Now i just need to decide between shockers and pm's