Thoughts?
tchs_drummer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 PM #2
Paintballguy59

Paintballguy59 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
****ing ridiculous. People like me who didn't buy a mcmansion are getting screwed. I should of bought an 800k house that I never could afford.
Paintballguy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:46 PM #3
Jim96SC2

Stupid. As PBG59 said, it hurts those of us who were fiscally responsible. They should either allow everyone who holds a mortgage to buy down their rates or none. Anything else is just throwing bones to those people who should have known better.
Jim96SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:47 PM #4
Rapier7
Smarter than you

Well, bailing out the buyers is much better than the much more dangerous precedent of allowing judges to rewrite mortgage contracts.

It still sucks, though. Another policy blunder by Obama and the Democratic Congress.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:54 PM #5
Jim96SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapier7 View Post
Well, bailing out the buyers is much better than the much more dangerous precedent of allowing judges to rewrite mortgage contracts.

It still sucks, though. Another policy blunder by Obama and the Democratic Congress.
I don't care too much about forclosures though. Been surfing MLS for a new house and love the 20% drop in prices.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:14 PM #6
xbreaka

I guess personal responsibility is out the window on this one?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:25 PM #7
Adema3412
Give me fiction

I haven't had a chance to look at the plan in detail yet, but let me put this out there.

People bought these homes with the historical expectation that the values of these homes would rise or at least stay relatively stable and then the entire housing market bottomed out and there houses have plummeted in value.

These Americans just saw their wealth disappear, as their mortgage is greater than the value of their home.
With that in mind, let a debate begin.
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Adema3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:26 PM #8
tchs_drummer06
1+1+1=2

The housing market didn't collapse per se.

It went back to where it belongs.
tchs_drummer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:50 PM #9
icp1327

I have seen my "wealth" disappear but I didn't buy outside of my means. I bought modestly and knew I would upgrade on the next house and maybe even one more time in the future....

Other people bought way outside of their means, didn't read the writing, didn't ask questions, and now have been caught with their pants around their ankles....I HAVE LOST MY MONEY DUE TO IDIOTS LIKE THIS.
icp1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:58 PM #10
Frank112916

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchs_drummer06 View Post
The housing market didn't collapse per se.

It went back to where it belongs.
proponents of mean reversion have a very hard case to make. Not to mention, if you even believe in mean reversion, you'd probably also understand the market tends to over-correct.
Frank112916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:21 PM #11
Jim96SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adema3412 View Post
I haven't had a chance to look at the plan in detail yet, but let me put this out there.

People bought these homes with the historical expectation that the values of these homes would rise or at least stay relatively stable and then the entire housing market bottomed out and there houses have plummeted in value.

These Americans just saw their wealth disappear, as their mortgage is greater than the value of their home.
And these people were one word: FOOLS. Market trends were absurd and anyone who looked objectively at the values over a 5-10 year look would have seen that. Nothing is ever going to go up indefinitely. The market went too high and now its going back to where it should have been. If you bought without researching the biggest purchase (for 99% of the pople) of your life, then you are STUPID as well.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:08 AM #12
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)
Don't Tax me, Bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adema3412 View Post

How did their 'wealth' disappear, when it wasn't there in the first place. The only reason why they were given the homes/mortgages, was because real estate had been rising for an ungodly amount of time. The people couldn't actually afford the mortgages even before the market bottomed, but given the ever-increasing rise in real estate prices, they were lent out anyways. Whose fault? Everyones' who influenced this type of irrational behavior.
Furious Ge0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:16 AM #13
Frank112916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Ge0rge View Post
How did their 'wealth' disappear, when it wasn't there in the first place. The only reason why they were given the homes/mortgages, was because real estate had been rising for an ungodly amount of time. The people couldn't actually afford the mortgages even before the market bottomed, but given the ever-increasing rise in real estate prices, they were lent out anyways. Whose fault? Everyones' who influenced this type of irrational behavior.
saying that wealth doesn't "exist" because it's based on valuation is an ex post-facto argument.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:24 AM #14
bigman1416
Make'n you look good!

bigman1416 is a Paintball photographer
bigman1416 is playing at Living Legends III
From what I'm seeing so far, it's a basic refinance for 5 years to current market prices to help balance bills. So far the details aren't done yet but it sounds like those that got and gave bad loans (McMansions, considerably larger value homes then income). So I'm not sure yet about the whole deal, there are a lot of things that need to be penned out like who qualifies and how. It's a good option for those who invested into their homes and then lost their job or had payments hiked.
It'll be interesting to see how this goes to say the least but with so many who have already lost their homes it's hard to think that this will help now. I'm glad I bought condo.
Officially Against the .50 "Revolution"
Don't believe the hype, not new, not the fix.
bigman1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:51 AM #15
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)
Don't Tax me, Bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
saying that wealth doesn't "exist" because it's based on valuation is an ex post-facto argument.
Do you actually have a point, or are you just arguing semantics? I can't tell. As far as I'm concerned, everyone involved here, basically made bad decisions. As someone said early, NOTHING continually goes up, and ignorance to this concept does not grant immunity. People had their mortgage brokers artificially creating them wealth on the notion that housing prices would continue to rise, and they went right along with it. Usually if something is too good to be true...
Furious Ge0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:13 AM #16
Frank112916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Ge0rge View Post
Do you actually have a point, or are you just arguing semantics? I can't tell. As far as I'm concerned, everyone involved here, basically made bad decisions. As someone said early, NOTHING continually goes up, and ignorance to this concept does not grant immunity. People had their mortgage brokers artificially creating them wealth on the notion that housing prices would continue to rise, and they went right along with it. Usually if something is too good to be true...
What I'm saying is that not many people knew the housing bubble would burst. Those who did didn't know the timing or scale. Whilenothing rises forever it doesn't mean that someone would think they would plummet. Also GDP rises pretty constantly almost parabolically due to tech advances.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:24 AM #17
kjjm4
Liberty or Death

kjjm4 is a founding member
kjjm4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kjjm4 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I hate it. Somewhere, sometime, somehow, there have to be consequences for making horrible decisions, or people are just going to keep making them. People can't always be dependent on their government to save them from the stupid things they do. Anybody who bought a house they couldn't afford and got a loan without reading and understanding the terms got what they deserved when it all came tumbling down.

It's time for us to stop rewarding irresponsibility and punishing success and financial discipline.
ďA strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
-Thomas Jefferson
kjjm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:28 AM #18
hsilman
Disgustipated

this is a huge chart, sorry if it margin rapes anyone. However, going forward in this debate, I think it would be best if everyone has a standard by which to judge home values, therefore eliminating any "I think X" or "I'm not sure, but I believe Y" about a trend in home values.

hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:47 AM #19
Frank112916

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjm4 View Post
I hate it. Somewhere, sometime, somehow, there have to be consequences for making horrible decisions, or people are just going to keep making them. People can't always be dependent on their government to save them from the stupid things they do. Anybody who bought a house they couldn't afford and got a loan without reading and understanding the terms got what they deserved when it all came tumbling down.

It's time for us to stop rewarding irresponsibility and punishing success and financial discipline.
what people don't understand is that not everyone can understand the macro-economic implications of their micro transactions. Therefore, reasonably expecting someone unfamiliar with the market to see this "crash" borders on ridiculous.

I think some people here have irrational expectations of the average citizen and even of most financial advisers/people in the finance industry. We try to explain unexpected or "impossible" results (Black Swans, as Nassim Taleb calls them) by trying to affix blame to one group etc... We want to believe we can control everything.

What this current crises is, is a storm of bad micro-economic decisions coming together at the same time. Risk management deals with expect probabilities (standard deviations from the expected value). What happened to create this crisis was outside the realm of 6 standard deviations. Statisticians relied on the law of large numbers to create their models.

I don't think we could ever actively prevent a situation like this without seriously strangling innovation. The best we can do is learn from the mistakes made and try to correct those, but trying to actively prevent another crises is next to impossible, because crisis like these happen outside the realm of expected outcomes.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:52 AM #20
hsilman
Disgustipated

that chart was published in 2006, about the insane speculation and huge inflated valuation in the market of a number of things, including tech stocks and real estate.

I wouldn't be surprised if many consumers attempting to inform themselves before purchasing a house stumbled across it.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:56 AM #21
Frank112916

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
that chart was published in 2006, about the insane speculation and huge inflated valuation in the market of a number of things, including tech stocks and real estate.

I wouldn't be surprised if many consumers attempting to inform themselves before purchasing a house stumbled across it.
that's easy to say in hindsight but what about when prices were "grossly inflated" 140%?

Not to mention, in many areas of the country, housing prices haven't dropped and are still increasing, so I mean that graph doesn't say much.