PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-07-2009, 01:56 PM #1
jtmicnugget32

jtmicnugget32 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Paintball && X-games

Paintball and the X-games..

i keep thinking in the back of my mind how come paintball cant be this huge sport.. what does it have that other sports doesnt..

and i was watching a snoboard documentry and i noticed...NOTHING!!
paintball is where snowboarding was 10 years ago.. rally racing was 3 years ago.. what really put them into the main stream??

the X-games.. these sports were the same as paintball..
paintball is an extream sport.. rally racing wasnt extream at all until x-games pit it there.. it was just racing.. paintball just needs the coverage the x-games can give.. i think if someone got paintball into the x-games hands.. we could put this sport right along the popularity and $$ side of the world with the x-games.. after losing the NPPL tv coverage.. the only place ideal for paintball is the x-games..

if anyone knows anyone looking and who has the place to be able to pitch this to the x-games.. this could totally work.. or maybe get one of these new leagues to maybe get along with the x-games..
jtmicnugget32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2009, 02:01 PM #2
jtmicnugget32

Could be the jumping point to getting paintball back on track^^
Old 01-07-2009, 02:08 PM #3
jtmicnugget32

Hey spread the word.. tell some people about this.. spread the link in reginal forums.. see if we can get that lone soldger to take that chance and hook up paintball for life..

never know.. it could happen
Old 01-08-2009, 04:04 AM #4
jagerpirate

Yay, another X games thread
jagerpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:48 PM #5
minikmak

Yes but how
minikmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:28 PM #6
Killa_X
Beer-thirty!

Killa_X is a Paintball photographer
I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Paintball is not plausible as an x-game event, or any other extreme sport tour event (dew tour, etc.), because of the fact that it is not a spectator sport. It is difficult for the average Joe Nobody to sit down to watch a paintball tournament because he has little to no understanding of the game. Snowboarding, Skiing, Skateboarding, etc., can be considered spectator events because they require little to no previous knowledge about it for it to be enjoyed by the average Joe Nobody. Joe Nobody can watch and be amazed by what is happening because, chances are, he won't ever be able to do what these pro athletes are doing.

ESPN had a short run with televising paintball tournaments (even nppl if i'm not mistaken), but that basically fell flat on it's face. The misconception that paintball is a bunch of camo clad kids running through the woods shooting each other in the ***, or army dropouts re-enacting war for that matter, will prevent paintball from becoming a mainstream sport. Secondly, why would a major sports network (ESPN, MSN, etc.) give valuable time slots to a relatively unknown sport when they could air a baseball or football game that will draw a exponentially bigger viewing audience that would bring them lots of money? They wouldn't. I'm sure many people could argue that what I'm saying is untrue, and other will completely agree, but it's the hard truth that paintball can not, and probably will never become a mainstream sport.

tl;dr-stop posting threads why paintball should be in the xgames.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:31 PM #7
RazorBurn
T-Dubz

RazorBurn is playing at Living Legends III
RazorBurn owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
RazorBurn plays in the APPA D5 division
I've already shut one X Games thread down... Read
Old 01-22-2009, 04:25 PM #8
Trbo323

although i agree it isnt something people just understand when they flip to it, in the same way so is poker but that is on a sports channel almost 24/7 people learn as they watch (contrary to popular beliefe you can actually learn something from TV) Pluse how hard is it really to understand? these guys shoot at those guys, if someone has a splat on them they are out, i mean seriously, in a lot of ways I think the current level of play is too fast for viewers, you cant keep up with everything going on, eliminations are only seen on an overview of the field as a little X on the field. But as the x-games does with every other sport, im sure they would have their own way of playing it that isnt like anything else currently out there.

anyway I back the x-games idea, I think it would help the sport a lot, even if it only gets half an hour a night and not even during the prime hours it would do tons more good than paintball not being on tv
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:38 PM #9
fatboyslimmy
The Verminator

fatboyslimmy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
[quote=jtmicnugget32;54920119]
. rally racing wasnt extream at all until x-games pit it there.. it was just racing.. paintball just needs the coverage the
plz tell me you did not just say that rally wasnt an extreme sport till 3 years ago, its safe to say that any sport that you can die doing it, it has to be extreme. rally goes wayback.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3598551
fatboyslimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:55 AM #10
Trbo323

yes rally goes way back but not in the format the x-games brought, rallys have always been timed, x-games brought a head to head format to the stage, really its not that they made it any more extreme than it already was, they just put it somewhere where a croud can watch and see the begining and end of a race
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:35 AM #11
Clonenemasis

but do we realy want paintball to get that much publicity, it will almost garonteed make prices go up on paint and markers and we will get a whole load of wannabe pbers that go and buy a $50 peace of crap gun from wall mart and then play with safty glases on a school playground. I have played renigade and when cops show up and taze ur buddy it ends up on the news giving paintball a bad image.

Last edited by Clonenemasis : 02-04-2009 at 12:36 AM. Reason: missed a word
Clonenemasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:54 AM #12
ELuSiVe1151

has been a member for 10 years
ELuSiVe1151 plays in the PSP
ELuSiVe1151 is an NCPA player
ELuSiVe1151 plays in the APPA D5 division
Mere one-on-one's would be friendly enough for the average joe x-games audience member to understand. you dont need a full team and full knowledge of basic paintball tactics to appreciate the raw human skill involved in paintball. if there is a team element showcased in the x-games, it would have to be 3-man maximum.
The Grind Continues!!!
Empossible Sports - Jim Pica Foto - Meadowlands PB

Last edited by ELuSiVe1151 : 02-04-2009 at 09:56 AM.
ELuSiVe1151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:09 PM #13
psycho penguin

I agree, if paintball is going to be mainstream it can only be 3 on 3. These big 7 man games there's just to much to watch. Also the field could be smaller, like 50 x 25. Paintball is also difficult to tape. A smaller field would make that easier.
psycho penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:54 PM #14
RyanMo

I love paintball but for the most part, watching it on video for the average person must be so incredibly unbelievably boring.... you watch people run to bunkers and shoot guns, you can't really see the paintballs, and you don't get the adrenaline rush from watching it on TV... it just looks like guys standing around shooting guns (even if more is going on) Snowboarding or skateboarding you see big jumps and spins and can go ohhhhh ahhhhh rather than just a bunch of guys running around playing tag.

If they began to use first person camera angles from the top of people's goggles that would be interesting... you could then actually see the paintballs fly by and see how intense it can be.
RyanMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:07 PM #15
ELuSiVe1151

ELuSiVe1151 plays in the PSP
ELuSiVe1151 is an NCPA player
ELuSiVe1151 plays in the APPA D5 division
yeah but the problem with that is that people AT THE EVENT cant see that camera angle. it has to be entertaining from both the stands AND the tv.
The Grind Continues!!!
Empossible Sports - Jim Pica Foto - Meadowlands PB
ELuSiVe1151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:14 PM #16
bennyd014

I think it would be awesome to see more of paintball on tv.
bennyd014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:43 PM #17
Fortunex (Banned)

Paintball isn't an extreme sport. Extreme means the possibility of being injured or killing yourself.

/Thread
Fortunex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:00 PM #18
speedballer234

what about teams and players... do we use existing leagues? make a new one? how about players do we continue to carry players over from league to league? i mean what are they gonna do, carry ollie over to some x game team allthough hes already playing the millenium with the bullets and psp with the ironmen. and some companies are gonna be sponsoring 5 teams. im not with or agaist the idea just stating a fact
speedballer234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:03 PM #19
NightKreeper

NightKreeper is a Supporting Member
NightKreeper plays in the PSP
NightKreeper plays in the APPA D4 division
the x-gaymes are a joke. they dont deserve paintball.
Planet Eclipse
G.I. Sportz
V-Force
Exalt
NightKreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:50 AM #20
Team player2011
Cardio Whore

Paintball will never go to the X-games,because there is no 100% way to ref. games and be fair. You may think its like other sports, but just think someone gets hit and plays on. Then it just somehow they are the one to go and grab the flag. Its chaos on the field no one has no idea whats going on the match is over in 30 seconds.
People wont sit down and watch that they are going to go watch the football or basketball game in High-def with floor cameras and mics. Throw some 3d in there and you have 10s of millions of viewers.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:26 AM #21
Whitie22

Whitie22 supports Team VICIOUS
Whitie22 supports Empire
Ok guys just think of this fifty years ago hockey,football ,baseball all had a time that people didn't understand how to fallow the game. Now look at them making billions each year. What paintball needs is some main stream event or tour like X-games or Dew tour or even Olympics to pick up a interest and televise a full event. The Olympics picked up snowboarding 12 years ago and look at it now second or third most watch event. All we need is some teams to make a full video presentation for them and hope they pick it up for a test.