Old 02-02-2009, 09:09 PM #22
VSOwnage
Pursuit of Professional

VSOwnage plays in the PSP
VSOwnage is an NCPA player
VSOwnage plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by DI*killa View Post
use APPA...we need a unified front for classification across the board.

use what works.
/thread
VSOwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 AM #23
player12345
ICE WHAT??

has been a member for 10 years
player12345 plays in the PSP
player12345 plays in the APPA D2 division
player12345 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILpaintball69 View Post
the honor code is a good idea. but it should be a suspension from the tournament and that team should have to play short a player the whole way through. second offense another suspension. third offense suspension for the season. fourth offense out of the league.

harsh but it would make people rethink getting an "edge"
Thats not harsh enough, you want to play the extreme grey area you get one chance and thats it. Then maybe you come back in front of the whole owners group and plead your case as they do in the schools.
player12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:48 AM #24
the other one
World Peace

the other one supports our troops
anybody like the advertising idea i had? pro/cons? (look in my large post. ideas are in bold text)

buzzers on each of the start stations. the ref would press a button for "go", and the players would hear a sound coming from a buzzer right next to their ears, instead of a ref yelling it from across the field. It would help with the whole "noise" thing, because some players (myself included, thanks to working on tanks for a few years) have really bad hearing, and can't hear the refs at the end of the day, because they're not as loud, either, due to yelling all day.

velcro portions on the flags, with velcro areas on the start stations so that you can just press the flag to the velcro area, and it'll stick to it.

a standardized flag... maybe 1'x2' with a nice USPL logo on it.... something you can actually grab onto, but that won't wipe paint easily (for those "creative" players among us). Maybe the "hook" part of velcro material can be in strips on a vinyl (or some other material... rip-stop nylon?) flag, and the start stations could be the "loop" part of the velcro. You just press the flag against the thing, and the velcro makes the flag stick.

So, the flags could be stuck on the starting points at the beginning of the game, instead of sitting on top. I hate the little pole, too.... it's just asking to impale somebody that slides around with one.

And for goodness sake, have multiple flags available for each field to use. Maybe in a little box by the flag stations or something, so that the refs don't forget to run the flags back at the end of the games. that always annoyed me... when the refs would forget to re-hang the flags at the start stations for the next game. Players would have to look around for flags, and then the refs would realize that there was no flag. Confusion usually would ensue for a few seconds, before the refs said "just pretend it's there". I've seen it several times, and it's never a good reflection on the reffing staff.

I blog.

Last edited by the other one : 02-03-2009 at 01:04 AM.
the other one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:00 AM #25
dchuck79
Awesome's Patient Zero

dchuck79 supports Cereal Killerz 2
dchuck79 donated to help Peyton Trent
I love the fact that Keith is getting amp'd up about paintball again... kudos to you my friend.

I enjoy the positive attitude in this thread. It really shows that people are backing the USPL and want to see it succeed, as well as the sport as a whole.

Personally, I've always thought there was a special spot in hell for cheaters. Whether it's a cheater board, wiper or sand-bagger. All of these take the paintball skill out of the sport and make it a "who can cheat better" contest.

It's tough to combat all the cheaters, as technology can advance so quickly as to make it easier and easier. A good idea brought up was having stock boards only at events. Sadly, this will harm sales for Virtue, Tadao, and others that sponsor teams and individuals, but in a tournament environment, it should be a level playing field. The only alterations to the markers would be things such as accessories that don't necessarily enhance the performance of the marker (barrels, asa's, regs, etc) or those approved by the league, just as in other sports such as baseball and softball for bats.

The issue of retroactive penalties... it's difficult to address due to complexity. The NFL, MLB, tennis, etc., who use instant replay because it's easier for them... because it's nearly instant. The league would have to invest in cameras, camera operators, recording/editing equipment... But regardless, if the league or anyone can come up with something I would be all for it.

Using photos and video captured from independent operators can be bias or swayed. If someone is shooting for a specific team and capture an infraction, it would be up to them to either inform the ultimate ref or to simply delete it. If it's a league enforced rule taken from photos or video, it has to be from a camera operated for the league.

Advertising on the lower portion of the nets is a great idea. Just like at PSP events where high-rollers spend loads of cash to get VIP seating and they are allowed to hang a banner, the same can go for companies who want to advertise on the lower net.

Lastly, one member mentioned something about paint prices. I agree to an extent that there should be a standardized price for paint at events. Having "event only" paint would be a decent idea. This would be sold to registered teams below MAP and used only for events. Manufacturers can bring their paint in plain boxes with "Event Only" stenciled on. Manufacturers would be required to bring a certain amount of paint for the event based on teams signed up. Teams would be allotted a certain amount of paint for the event. Of course, it would be a generous amount, but not enough that they would be able to buy paint in bulk to take back for practice paint or to resell. It can be enforced by event staff monitoring the paint consumed by teams and also the staff monitoring the pits for teams sneaking discount paint out of the event, as well as the diligence of team and field owners after the events.
dchuck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:10 AM #26
CANT THINK OF A NAME
10mm.....................

How about an event in the MW...that would be a miracle.
GWC O.G. #7
-"Welcome to the Midwest"-
Warzone>*
-TPA Redemption D3X-
CANT THINK OF A NAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:48 AM #27
Brad C.
FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brad C. plays in the PSP
Brad C. supports Bob Gurnsey
Brad C. plays in the APPA D4 division
i like that idea!!! Indianapolis now has a brand new 700 million dollar stadium with retractable roof and plenty of hotel accomadations within 2 miles of it. Im sure many teams would be happy to play here in the MW.

Where champions are made!
PG RISE

Brad C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:39 PM #28
undrdg
RIP Larry Alexander

lower entry fees?
undrdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:12 PM #29
MON_E_SHOT08

hold an event in HOUSTON TX yeah
MON_E_SHOT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:36 PM #30
alex fraige

alex fraige is a Professional paintball player
alex fraige plays in the USPL
we will take all opinions into consideration, to make the best possible league we can. thanks for the ideas
Old 02-03-2009, 05:45 PM #31
the other one
World Peace

thanks eggs.

I blog.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:41 PM #32
DisasterPlayer

DisasterPlayer plays in the USPL
DisasterPlayer plays in the PSP
DisasterPlayer plays in the APPA D3 division
free beer
Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 PM #33
Ches7er

Ches7er supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterPlayer View Post
free beer
i second this
Ches7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:10 PM #34
wavedanger

wavedanger supports Cereal Killerz 2
WE NEED AN EVENT IN NY
Old 02-04-2009, 12:12 AM #35
TcIronkids

TcIronkids is a Professional paintball player
I also think getting media access passes should be attainable by nearly anyone. The more photos, videos, and movies of this league on the internet the more interest its gonna get. maybe press pass $40?
TcIronkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:26 AM #36
TzeentchianGod
aka Sentinel

TzeentchianGod is a Supporting Member
TzeentchianGod supports Cereal Killerz 2
The more the sidelines are choked by amateurs the harder its going to be for the pros to get their jobs done.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:39 AM #37
the other one
World Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeentchianGod View Post
The more the sidelines are choked by amateurs the harder its going to be for the pros to get their jobs done.
Very true.

...maybe a separate press pass for the "non-center-court" fields? So the smaller teams have more media attention from the amateur photographers and stuff?

Not $40, though... then everybody's mom with her point-and-shoot polaroid will be out there, and they (not knowing much about paintball) might step onto the field a bit or something. $150-250 is a better range. I'd pay $200 for a press pass on the Divisional fields.

...and a cap on how many of the "cheap" press passes are sold. That'd help things not get too crowded.

I blog.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:07 AM #38
Ches7er

Ches7er supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TcIronkids View Post
I also think getting media access passes should be attainable by nearly anyone. The more photos, videos, and movies of this league on the internet the more interest its gonna get. maybe press pass $40?

as a member of the real press i would have to say no way nothing worse than trying to get a shot or nat sound ( can make a story) and have someone walk over your shot or a still camera clicking away. that being said i have had very FEW issues with other pro's in the still or video world, we know what we are doing we keep try of each other we ask before we cross in frount of them ( if there is no other way around) heck most of the time i know when someone is rolling or not. i feel that you need to restrict access to accreated MEDIA IE members of the news media for one, but also industry media mag's websites exe. take it on a case by base basis, but dont just let anyone with an extra 40 bucks in. make sure they are working on a project not just shooting for fun.

OR

have two diffrent zones.... maby d side, restrict access to one side and let anyone willing to pay have access to the other side, or have risers for the media, there is a way to make ALMOST everyone happy and promote the sport.

or restrict access to only a few accreated media, then allow each team ONE or TWO (one for still's the other for video) persons on the field to get what they want to get.

there are lots of ideas might just have to try some and see what works best.
Ches7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:08 AM #39
P4IN7 B4LLS
FARSIDE KIDS // HELLCATS

P4IN7 B4LLS plays in the USPL
P4IN7 B4LLS plays in the PSP
P4IN7 B4LLS is an NCPA player
P4IN7 B4LLS plays in the APPA D3 division
Free Grand Stands!

FEEDBACK / 100% Positive
P4IN7 B4LLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:12 AM #40
egoboy101
egoboy

I think we should just play some paintball and not be so critical.
egoboy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:08 AM #41
FlyGuy10
Real Men Love Jesus

I agree with the harsh penalties for the cheaters. I think that out of most things in paintball which leave a bad impression, cheating is what deters most legit businesses from sponsoring anything in paintball and new players from coming back to play at local fields. Businesses don't want one of their teams to be seen cheating and then presenting a bad image to the rest of the paintball world (epsecially those new to the sport), and new players hate to be learning how to play and then have a player they shot wipe paint and then think that "cheating is legal if you don't get caught" which is biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

The reason why everyone says that wiping is part of the game is because there have never been strict rules in tournament play to make them say otherwise. Tons of kids have grown up cheating and it's all they know and it's time to make that change and allow new players a fair chance at playing paintball the RIGHT way.

Thanks guys for this league...i hate PSP and I'm glad that someone did something about it...the players!
FlyGuy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:46 AM #42
infamousaddict
takes the snake...

Most ideas I've come up with are already up.

But a very Important one... the scoring of prelim games should actually make sense to where you can tell how much of a win it was... 95-12 doesn't make any sense when it's a common score... lower the scores so it doesn't seem like an arcade game and make it so you can tell how close the game was

I hope for paintball to be considered a sport someday; excuse my "woodsball" hatred.
infamousaddict is offline   Reply With Quote