Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-01-2009, 08:37 PM #1
the other one
World Peace

has been a member for 10 years
the other one supports our troops
Suggestion/Idea Thread

This thread is my attempt at voicing my ideas and suggestions for what I would like to see in this new USPL league. Please feel free to give out some of your own ideas, for the betterment of the league. Maybe one of them will read this, and your idea will be implemented, and help change things for the better.

*disclaimer*
This is not an official thread, nor is it sponsored by the USPL. I just want to see paintball become something more than what it is now. Suggestions from the masses often yield great results. Can we as a paintball community not agree on some great ideas for everybody? Can we not change paintball?
This thread is my attempt at that.

These Ideas/Suggestions are at random, and I encourage you to argue for or against them, and add in your own. Let your voice be.....umm... read.

1. Harsher Penalties

With a semi-automatic league, you'll have cheaters that ramp. We all know it... we all know that people do it. It ruins the game, and it sucks to know that some other team cheated and beat you because of it. And the reason that everybody cheats? Because they get away with it, and if they get caught... it's not really a big deal.

So, there should be strict rules against it. I'm talking about if a player is using an obviously illegal gun... he's banned for the remainder of the season. If a player is caught wiping (and can be verified), he's out for the tournament.

I bet the game would clean up, and it would become more legitimate as a sport. The lasoya incedent where he shot kyle stahl in the back of the head execution-style? Season ban. Or two. Or lifetime. We don't need cheaters in the sport... it doesn't help anything. Allowing it to continue by slapping people on the wrist isn't going to change anything, or motivate people to play fair.
And the people that are against harsher penalties seem to always be the ones that cheat the most. Funny how that works out.

Season Discounts

With the rising cost to play paintball as the seasons wear on, it'd be nice to catch a break somehow.

How about teams sign up for the whole season in advance, and get a discount on entry fees? Or, the origional price could be reduced by 5% each event after the first one. So, the first could cost $100, then the second event would cost the same team $95, then the third $90... etc....

3. Don't be like the Millennium.

Don't charge sponsors for their players using their gear. That's a terrible idea.

*edited for those politically correct among us.*

....PBNation, please feel free to contribute.

I blog.

Last edited by the other one : 02-02-2009 at 12:08 AM.
the other one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2009, 08:38 PM #2
the other one
World Peace

1st Post reserved for later use.

I blog.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 PM #3
mckander101

You saying thats gay takes all the power from your post, by saying that you are now just a DICK
mckander101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:45 PM #4
kasper_KS
*The Mac Daddy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckander101 View Post
You saying thats gay takes all the power from your post, by saying that you are now just a DICK
Ok... maybe he isnt politically correct but hes got a damn good point. How does charging the companies that come to make a profit and represent our sport at these events make it mutually beneficial for the leagues/ companies. I can see charging for corporate sponsorship... (ie logos on bunkers, advertised with league, ect.) but not charging companies just because teams are playing the event that use their gear. The players already paid an entry fee... why should the companies have to.
kasper_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:59 PM #5
bart man
Bart man

bart man is a Professional paintball player
Good Thread!!
The other one !!

We as owners are looking for Ideas and in responce to your first Point of Ramping Guns we are having serious talks of penalties and such to curb those issues. Everything is on the table looking at ways to make this a total Players League!!

Thanks for your suggestions!!
bart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:13 PM #6
kasper_KS
*The Mac Daddy*

If its going to be semi- auto... the consequences have to be strict enough that it will affect the team that cheated negativley for awhile. Then they can either kick the cheaters off of the team/ or lose games because of penalities. When I just paid alot to be at an event. I'm just likely to cheat if I know when I get caught it will cost my team wins.

In other words in my opinion it has to be severe enough to have a strongly negative impact, enough so that the penalized team should lose a vast majority of the time (i.e. playing a body short for 3-4 games, ect.)
kasper_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:59 PM #7
DirtyFerdie

The greatest part of paintball is the players ability to control the gun. If you could shoot 22bps or 10 bps it takes skill to snap, lane and run. At some point everyone is going to miss being able to take their $1000+ paintball guns and shoot them as fast as they can.

I enjoyed the 2004 PSP Xball season because of the speed of the game, crazy run throughs and fast games. The 7man game brought it all into perspective because it was cerebral and had physicality to it.

My simple suggestion are as such:

Those players who want to sandbag will sandbag for the money and the hopes of winning the tournaments.

Most players who have played SP or higher have egos and wont alllow themselves to play at a lower division.

I was used to when we played Pros, D1, and D2 teams in 2004. So go back to that format till we start to weed out the sandbaggers. That was fun and a learning experience

KEEP IT SEMI-AUTO! I love my gun going to the robot! You want to have a cheater gun you will be caught.

Keep the 7man format alive from fields to field length ( Carwash is the best bunker ever!)
DirtyFerdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:33 AM #8
the other one
World Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart man View Post
Good Thread!!
The other one !!

We as owners are looking for Ideas and in responce to your first Point of Ramping Guns we are having serious talks of penalties and such to curb those issues. Everything is on the table looking at ways to make this a total Players League!!

Thanks for your suggestions!!

Thank you, Bart!

The thing with ramping:
I realize that on the old school boards there are those "secret buttons" on the sides of the board, where you shave off some rubber on the inside of your grips, and the cheat mode will activate when that button is pressed, and only for a few seconds... yadda yadda yadda.... technology is insane these days.

I love the idea of being responsible for every ball fired. I hate full-auto/ramping, because although it may level the playing field, if everyone is playing fairly, then the field doesn't need to be level. The simple "skill" of pulling the trigger faster than the other guy is just another dimension of the game.

The thing is... it's very difficult to catch these kinds of in-game cheats, because they are so sophisticated and complex and all that. The only way to combat it and to TRULY "level the playing field" in the ROF matter is to enforce some hefty penalties.

This means the team would play a man down for the remainder of the tournament, and the offending player would individually receive a season-long ban. It'd at least stop lower-level cheaters, because they are indeed easier to catch, and usually willing to risk missing an entire season. Most teams would cut a player that can't attend the tournaments.... so that's a pretty big deterrent.

I know that you guys (bart and camille and the players committee, etc) have probably already tossed this stuff around multiple times, but I'm just speaking my mind, since we're all invited to give our input into this league "for the players". I love that idea.

also.... retro-active penalty enforcement. Now that we have tons of media present at all of the events, if a ref misses a player blatantly and purposefully cheating... well... the camera might catch it, and when discovered, that player would be dealt with in the same manner, and would receive the penalties during the next tournament.

also... since i'm just thinking of this stuff on the fly and typing it....
Less bunkers on the field, or at least a less-dominant snake. The snake bunkers these past few years at NPPL events have been the key to victory. Teams have to commit 2-3 players solely to the snake, and it's getting ridiculous. I realize that the snake-side is usually the crowd side, and makes for a nice viewpoint... but when the field gets to the point of "whoever controls the snake will win the game", and that's the only constant on the field.... something should be changed.

also- advertising.

the lower portion of the netting is never used for advertisement posters. Why is this? It's a great spot... kind of like in baseball, where the sponsors but up billboards on the back walls. Why don't we do this more with paintball? It could even have a charge for the people to display their banners.... extra $$$ for the league.

*edit*
somebody just posted this elsewhere.....

Tie-breakers = 1v1's, best of 3 or 5 (whichever works better). It's like a shootout in hockey games.... except cooler. It would also put some skill back into the 1-on-1 stuff that used to be everywhere. I know that this has been implemented in the past, but... keep it. I like it, and it's fun to watch.

Also...one more thing:

there's lots of leagues that have been stand-alone for a while now. Take the CXBL/AXBL for example. Their setup is really different than the PSP's, and it seems more "professional" in a way. The idea of franchises seems pretty cool. I realize that this is impossible to do with the current system of winning your way into the pro division, but there are several great ideas coming from a lot of small-time event promoters. Maybe sit down with some of them and ask them to share some of their trade secrets and ideas with you... who knows... maybe they'll have a golden nugget of an idea that they can't currently put into practice, but maybe you can.

The entire paintball industry has been nothing but small-time bickering and is being run by an "Us vs. Them" mentality, and it's gotten us all a ZERO in the progress department. Lawsuits, sponsors picking leagues and boycotting others.... what's up with that? If that mentality continues, the leagues will never progress.

....and you know what paintball will have to become in order to get really big and go mainstream. One league. One format. One unified front to paintball. Then maybe some real progression can be made to the sport. Unfortunately, we're still stuck at a million different leagues and styles of play.

SO, maybe you guys can come up with a better format over the next few years, and stop the rivalry between you and the PSP that has existed since the split a few (time flies, eh?) years ago. Or, as long as there's two leagues, then help each other and cooperate, instead of disseminate and divide and hurt each other like what's been going on for the past few years.

I blog.

Last edited by the other one : 02-02-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:02 AM #9
Nate_DBS
-Lousy Heroes-

Nate_DBS is a Professional paintball player
Nate_DBS plays in the PSP
Nate_DBS donated to help Peyton Trent
Nate_DBS plays in the APPA Pro division
dont know if this has been done or not,
but uspl should release dates/locations so teams can plan ahead.
the sooner the teams know the better the turnout.
Omaha Vicious #44
RAZA
Nate_DBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:59 AM #10
a1exweibl

a1exweibl helped look for balloons
a1exweibl owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
a1exweibl posts videos on PbNation
a1exweibl has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Just to touch on the wiping. It's always a part of the game, I'm not saying it's right because it's very wrong. You shouldn't get kicked out for wiping. It should stay the same, it's like a lot of sports for example hockey. I've seen players get brutalized behind a play and no call.

My point is that in some way yeah it's a very good skill to have, I don't think its right from my point of view but it can help in a situation. Not too many people can say they haven't cheated at least once in they're life of paintball. That's just my 2 cents.

I would have to say a little less bunkers, not many people wanna watch a 2 on 2 for 3 minutes.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:27 AM #11
player12345
ICE WHAT??

player12345 plays in the PSP
player12345 plays in the APPA D2 division
player12345 supports DLX Technology
Gun Penalty Idea

Putting this out there, would the teams (owners) be willing to sign a "honor code" regarding illegal gun modes. It would be like what the Ivy level schools have in regard to plagerism and cheating. If caught the team is expelled for the year and all players on the team are expelled from the league. This is a huge penalty and puts all the focus on in house enforcing.(team) This is only refering to the boards with illegal codes in them. Enforcing it will be another issue but catching someone with a fully auto gun can be quite compelling. For the upper level teams the easy way to enforce this is to have their marker manufacture force them to use stock boards only. Just a thought to see what everyone thinks. I personally setup alot of our team guns to be fast as we have always used the stock boards in them.
player12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:11 PM #12
DI*killa

DI*killa is a Professional paintball player
DI*killa plays in the PSP
DI*killa donated to help Peyton Trent
DI*killa is an NCPA player
DI*killa plays in the APPA Pro division
use APPA...we need a unified front for classification across the board.

use what works.

CHATTANOOGA CEP
Robbie Goldsmith #14
DYE - KEE
DI*killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:27 PM #13
El_cubano
YES....CUBAN B!!!!!!

El_cubano is a Supporting Member
^^^ i agree w. that...also hire some actual pro refs who wont bring bias and unfairness to your league..i like the idea of retroactive penalties, real sports like football have it and it works wonders.

"They moved on up to the east side...To a deluxe apartment in the sky...They Finally Got a Piece of the Pie."
El_cubano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:00 PM #14
paintballpunk168
spaceballs the user title

paintballpunk168 plays in the USPL
paintballpunk168 plays in the PSP
paintballpunk168 supports Cereal Killerz 2
paintballpunk168 is playing at Living Legends III
NO MAP PRICE ON PAINT!!!! raaaah!
NINJA PAINTBALL AMERICA! F**K YEAH!
paintballpunk168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:02 PM #15
EVILpaintball69
Scotty Pippin

EVILpaintball69 supports Cereal Killerz 2
EVILpaintball69 donated to help Peyton Trent
the honor code is a good idea. but it should be a suspension from the tournament and that team should have to play short a player the whole way through. second offense another suspension. third offense suspension for the season. fourth offense out of the league.

harsh but it would make people rethink getting an "edge"
Old 02-02-2009, 07:26 PM #16
TcIronkids

TcIronkids is a Professional paintball player
maybe prelims could be best of 3
TcIronkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:57 PM #17
SameBIG CHIEF
Si vis pacem, para bellum

SameBIG CHIEF plays in the USPL
Wiping is a hot topic everywhere. I don't wipe if hit in the side of the head or the top of the head, yes I will put my hand there to see if there is paint. Does this constitute wiping, NO, because as soon as I feel paint I'm out.
SameBIG CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:11 PM #18
the other one
World Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameBIG CHIEF View Post
Wiping is a hot topic everywhere. I don't wipe if hit in the side of the head or the top of the head, yes I will put my hand there to see if there is paint. Does this constitute wiping, NO, because as soon as I feel paint I'm out.
that's not the issue.

the issue is dealing with players that deliberately cheat/wipe/ramp/etc..

I blog.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:34 PM #19
captainspaulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILpaintball69 View Post
the honor code is a good idea. but it should be a suspension from the tournament and that team should have to play short a player the whole way through. second offense another suspension. third offense suspension for the season. fourth offense out of the league.

harsh but it would make people rethink getting an "edge"
I'd like to add a $500.00 fine that has to be paid before you can play another event, that money can be added to the cash purse for winning in the division the offence happened in
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/WMASSREGULATORS
my blog,Life Behind Lenses:
http://lifebehindlenses.blogspot.com/
help Adam
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2796449
captainspaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:42 PM #20
EVILpaintball69
Scotty Pippin

EVILpaintball69 supports Cereal Killerz 2
EVILpaintball69 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainspaulding View Post
I'd like to add a $500.00 fine that has to be paid before you can play another event, that money can be added to the cash purse for winning in the division the offence happened in
good call.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:03 PM #21
the other one
World Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainspaulding View Post
nice.

that's an awesome idea.

I blog.