Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-03-2009, 11:41 PM #1
PITA22

Ideal League

What is your idea of the 'perfect' league? What would it include? Some things to consider are
-Format
-Roster Size
-BPS cap/ Ramp v. Semi
-Venues
-Scoring/ Points System
-Any additional regulation I forgot

How can you see this league changing as it (and paintball) evolves and expands?

Please keep your ideas reasonable.

DISCLAIMER: Yes I realize this thread serves no real purpose. I understand that what is written here will probably never be acted upon. I just thought it would be interesting to get players opinions on what they think would constitute the ideal league. PLEASE NO FLAMING.

Last edited by PITA22 : 01-03-2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Forgot things
PITA22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2009, 11:54 PM #2
Chocolate_Milk
Elevation

Chocolate_Milk helped look for balloons
Chocolate_Milk owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Xball with penalties
unlimited semi
Cali,denver,new your,florida,arizona
race to 5
Penalties with scoreboard

"I think the player's families should get more involved too. I don't see enough angry wives and children screaming from the NXL nets. I want a chance to spit on somebody's baby."
-Holiday, Detroit Strange
Hitler was a Vegetarian
Chocolate_Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:19 AM #3
EXWP
I AM A MOTHER****ER

All the "pro" leagues should merge into a NPL (National Paintball League) or something or keep the *name* NPPL and fix up the rules and merge the other leagues into it.
EXWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:05 AM #4
PITA22

I would create a singular league named the "NPL". It would be named this in a further attempt to legitimize the sport, as almost every other sport has a single league for the professional level, and a single governing body.
It would be
-Xball
-Two 15 minute halves
-whoever has the most points at the end wins/ must win by 2
-roster capped at 9
-13.33 bps ramping (but with 2 shots per-pull, not 3,activation at 4)
-penalty box
-18 pro teams to start, could change
-Paint limited to 1 hopper + 4 pods per person per point

In order to lessen the amount of large events teams go to, I would divide country into several regions (foreign teams would be assigned a region)
-East Coast
-Midwest
-West Coast
-Southwest/ South
There would be 'mini-tournaments' held within those regions. Say with only 3 or 4 teams attending. This way you could use existing paintball facilities to defray the costs of hosting tournaments. This would also allow teams who are just beginning to participate in a 'national' tournament series, hopefully keeping them in the same league as they progress, and bringing more stablility to competitive paintball. Also having teams from the same region compete against one another more often might bring rivalries into the sport. It would also bring in the advantage of "playing at home" Furthermore, utilizing local facilities will puts money into the local paintball scene and hopefully provide an incentive for owners to improve their fields.

There would also be several nation-wide full tournaments held, say 5(one for each region, plus one 'World Cup'). Beginner level teams that would compete in these only if it was being held in their region. This would stop less funded teams from having to fly cross-country to compete(saving money, increasing accessibility). These larger tournaments would serve to display the sport and keep the vendors happy. Not having every event be gigantic would enable the vendors to come to all the major events (5) without incurring huge costs to attend 15 or 20 events over multiple leagues.

The venue for the 'World Cup' would be rotated yearly from one region to the next. Unlike PSP's current signature venue(World Cup) a teams yearly record would decide if they could go onto the championships. The top 3 pro teams from each region would come. There would be a wild-card match-up of the next two best ranked teams, regardless of region. The same would hold true for the rest of the divisions, with differing numbers of team coming from each region and for the wild-card based on the division.

Field Layouts would be as follows: There woulds be a bunch of field layouts released to teams at the beginning of the season. Teams would be unaware of which specific ones they would play their next tournament on. Instead, on the day of the tournament, the field(s) layouts would be drawn randomly. This would put all teams on a more even footing. One team would not dominate one field because they practiced it to death, and get destroyed on another because they didn't practice it at all. It would encourage working on individual skills in practice instead of individual fields, hopefully raising the level of play.

If you have any suggestions, comments, or additions please post.

Last edited by PITA22 : 01-04-2009 at 11:27 AM.
PITA22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:30 AM #5
NightKreeper

NightKreeper is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
NightKreeper plays in the PSP
NightKreeper plays in the APPA D4 division
10 man
best of 3
semi capped at 10bps
no coaching
fields would not be the same every game. tournaments would have a mix of airball (and not just the cookie-cutter airball fields you see now. throw in some creative layouts), hyperball, maybe throw in a woodsball game too.

or...

x-ball
best of 9
semi capped at 10bps
no coaching
field layout would be changed some to make the middle of the field more playable, and the field would be alittle bit longer. sort of like a Millenium field.

also instead of BPS cap, maybe limited paint (like so much paint per team per game)

Kick'n Paintball Park
NightKreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:14 AM #6
PITA22

NightKreeper what do you mean by "cookie-cutter" airball fields? How would you make the middle of the field more playable? Add more pins and it decreases the lane friendliness of the fields (already drastically affected by the BPS cap drop). remove pins and you have less cover and less to run behind. Isn't a characteristic of the middle part of the field that it is hard to play, just as the snake promotes bunkerings and large upfield moves?

Why do you think there should be woodsball matches thrown in? They are possibly the least spectator friendly format I can think of. Woodsball matches would also require a larger amount of space than the current setup, possibly increasing costs, which could not be offset by selling seats. Less tournament players would want to play in the woods as well.

The hyperball to me seems like a bad idea. They are difficult to set up and to move, in addition to being ridiculously expensive, much more so than air bunkers. So in order to use the you would have to hold the event at a field that had them. This would give a tremendous advantage to any teams that practiced regularly at said field. The same would be true for woodsball.

I like your idea of limited paint, but I think that enforcing a set number of balls a team could use per game would be difficult. It would be much easier to officiate if you assigned a certain number of pods per team, or per player.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:22 AM #7
loneassassin
A Grim and...

5-man.

X-ball type field, but less open lanes - more "sneaky-sneaky" going on.

X-ball game format, 30 minute matches.

Semi capped at 13bps. Bounce all you want, but you're not going faster than 13. Most people wouldn't bother bouncing.

No sideline coaching.

15 pods per team, plus full hoppers at the start of the game. The team can divide the paint however they feel appropriate.

Yeah, and thow in a woodsball game whenever it's handy.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:40 AM #8
infamousaddict
takes the snake...

For a professional league, paintball needs to invest in 12 or so professional teams heavily. The players need contracts, real coaches, and home fields with decent seating. The xBall rules should be adjusted for longer halves, then each team gets a home/away schedule and at the end of the year there's a big event (World Cup).

The sad thing is that this can't happen unless the PSP organizes it or the leagues collapse, and that the travel costs would be rediculous.... But imagine buying tickets so you can see your home team take on their rival... etc. etc.

I hope for paintball to be considered a sport someday; excuse my "woodsball" hatred.
infamousaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:05 PM #9
PITA22

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousaddict View Post
The sad thing is that this can't happen unless the PSP organizes it or the leagues collapse, and that the travel costs would be rediculous.... But imagine buying tickets so you can see your home team take on their rival... etc. etc.
Thats what dividing the country into regions and holding "mini-tournaments" I believe would accomplish. One of the problems my plan addresses is that of cost. Since you wouldn't have to travel as far, costs would be lower. A further cost-saving device that is built into both your and my plans is that with teams playing only 1 (your plan...correct?) or 2-3 (mine), you could finish the tournament in one day, lessening the cost for lodging/food/etc.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:21 PM #10
NightKreeper

NightKreeper is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
NightKreeper plays in the PSP
NightKreeper plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITA22 View Post
NightKreeper what do you mean by "cookie-cutter" airball fields? How would you make the middle of the field more playable? Add more pins and it decreases the lane friendliness of the fields (already drastically affected by the BPS cap drop). remove pins and you have less cover and less to run behind. Isn't a characteristic of the middle part of the field that it is hard to play, just as the snake promotes bunkerings and large upfield moves?
i meant, do something different. airball fields seem to change very little from tournament to tournament these days(especially with x-ball fields). no ones doing anything creative anymore. also, we dont have NEAR as many "shapes" of bunkers on the fields as we used to. it's gotten pretty stale if you ask me. i do applaud the PSP for putting that "diamond" on the field one event this year.

Why do you think there should be woodsball matches thrown in? They are possibly the least spectator friendly format I can think of. Woodsball matches would also require a larger amount of space than the current setup, possibly increasing costs, which could not be offset by selling seats. Less tournament players would want to play in the woods as well.
Why not? Just to mix it up, and see a different kind of game. I don't care if it's less spectator friendly or harder to set up, my ideas were based on what I think would be most fun and interesting.

The hyperball to me seems like a bad idea. They are difficult to set up and to move, in addition to being ridiculously expensive, much more so than air bunkers. So in order to use the you would have to hold the event at a field that had them. This would give a tremendous advantage to any teams that practiced regularly at said field. The same would be true for woodsball.

I like your idea of limited paint, but I think that enforcing a set number of balls a team could use per game would be difficult. It would be much easier to officiate if you assigned a certain number of pods per team, or per player.
Yeah I meant pods

Kick'n Paintball Park

Last edited by NightKreeper : 01-04-2009 at 06:24 PM.
NightKreeper is offline   Reply With Quote