PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-20-2008, 04:39 PM #22
phuct
PSN: CASWELLHOUSE

has been a member for 10 years
14 ten man airball fields ,tubed, in the cow pasture.
angel fields
jts pyramids
the shocktech and diablo carwashes
rental golf carts lol

good times

i only attended 1 nppl before the split and it was the last cup at the field. i watched mr u drag salm out of the woods.

what a good time.

on a side note, what is now the hurricanes played there first national under the wild geese name and took second to the mommas boys at tha event.

snatchin kisses whenever i can....... and vice versa

Last edited by phuct : 12-20-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:51 PM #23
OBseRvATioNiST
"All Eyes On You"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorlax27 View Post
freeflow cockers
Own a gold fade to black Lotus I bought when I filmed the IAO event with 1Shot productions, bro! Neva selling that peice of history!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiresofSirius View Post
Ground Zero
Shout outz to all the GZ boyz! Black, Gold, Silver, Platinum, Lavender! Yeah, those dudes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorlax27 View Post
lockout
Lockout 4 Life! The underdog team that made every newbie believe that you don't need sponsorships to get the gold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc.v2;54352067 & Tritonian
10-man for life!
Ten man 4 life is an understatement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FoCuS- View Post
I miss
Mech guns
Hyperball
10 man
Supair with tubes!
Paintball wasnt a bunch of winey kids
Skyball
Zap IAO
When the snake looked like a snake!
Focus, I am right there with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonLambertson909 View Post
What about winning or losing a game because you had to chrono OFF the filed.....WOW, those cuold be seriously intense moments waiting to get chronoed off.......please no beep, please...hahaha
HAHAHAHA!!! Can't believe I forgot about those tense moments! We used to chrono at 265 just to make sure the damn tank or reg didn't spike from being in the sun or from a fresh tank fill. Regs really sucked back then...

And then there is BOOGPRO:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOGPRO View Post
Umm just to clarify a couple of things.

#1 NPPL wasn't the first national league .That honor gose to the Lively series.The NPPL was formed cause they wanted to change it from the way the Lively series was run and to make it a league for the players by the players.
Lively series definitely has the Grand Puba title, however I didn't go so far back to the woodsball tourney style. I wanted to it take back only as far as the field tournament style. Still, you have given a great history lesson!

Quote:
#2 Do not forget the Automag which most every old school baller had one at one time or another except for most west coast ballers for that was Cocker country for sure.When we used pumps dont forget the PMI pump line(which spawned Anihilators,Glenn Palmers designs) ,Phantoms ,Budd Orr Snipers(which became cockers)and the ever faithful Nelson 007.
The Automag definitely was one of my next topics to touch on (ol' skool markers). I only had the privilege of owning the RT! As for all the other ol' skool gats.... man you just made the OG'z reminisce and the young gunz say "WTF are those?"

Quote:
#3 The teams that have left us Swarm IL ,Lockout( which I won a world cup with) Image,Constant Pursuit ,Strange,Tour De Force,Predators and many many more.
You get props for having run with Lockout, sir! I still have the first issue of p8nt magazine that did a story on them.

Did I just make you grin, bro?

Quote:
#4 the players who have left us like Oh the name you know or Vu the name you knew or the likes of Fred Schultz and Todd Adamson there are so many that i have seen come and go in my 27 years in the sport.So this holiday season raise your glass for a toast to the NPPL may it live forever in our memories of a good times and better persons that we will never forget.
The names can go on forever! Lotz of Lost Boyz out there somewhere...

This is what I am talking about! There are OG'z all over, young and old! But to get really deep into what the NPPL represented way back then, let's take it back to the moo cow poo pastures of Ponciana Blvd. where sliding into muddy waters meant that you really came up feeling like the ****!

Last edited by OBseRvATioNiST : 12-21-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spell swear words correctly or don't use them
Old 12-20-2008, 07:17 PM #24
MonkeyWithaGun
respect the badge

MonkeyWithaGun is a Supporting Member
MonkeyWithaGun supports Cereal Killerz 2
MonkeyWithaGun donated to help Peyton Trent
MonkeyWithaGun is a videographer
"Lockout"

I remember watching them (still with their Amateur status) all pushing down the door field (at badlands) at top speed in perfect unison of one another. The opposing team had know idea what hit them. That image has stuck with me all this time... like it happened yesterday.

-patrick

"Would you accuse me of causing a riot if I was quiet. Would you?"
Old 12-20-2008, 09:09 PM #25
Tom222
VIGILANTE & Underground

Tom222 is a founding member
Tom222 supports Bob Gurnsey
The Badlandz Door......................

At the '95 Chicago Open, I saw Danny Love move into the door while another pro player was already in it. Danny smacked the window as hard as he could first thing. The other guy almost jumped out of the other side. Then they waved to each other.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:08 PM #26
BrandonLambertson909

BrandonLambertson909 is a Supporting Member
BrandonLambertson909 is a Professional paintball player
What about the Vegas NPPL where you had to run your butt off to that pallet on the tap corner of that one field, and whoever won that foot race controlled the game. God, no matter what you say about "slow play", those were some intense games, games of out running, out walking the fileds prior and of out thinking the other team.......not just out electronically shooting. (not to take away from todays game which is wonderful in its own way)

Although, the breakouts of the pro ten man games of the time were pretty intense back then too. And to the OP who said teams back then were all about brother hood.....you couldnt be more on point with that statement. That is definitely something that has been lost in it's pure form. Just making it onto a pro team in that time was an accomplishment all in itself.

Support the unity of the paintball industry, wear your WOLF SHIRT:
http://thepaintballagenda.blogspot.com/
Old 12-21-2008, 06:52 AM #27
LEE665
pretty fly for a whiteguy

LEE665 plays in the PSP
LEE665 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonLambertson909 View Post
What about winning or losing a game because you had to chrono OFF the filed.....WOW, those cuold be seriously intense moments waiting to get chronoed off.......please no beep, please...hahaha

lol, you made the hair on my neck stand...
RIP*TOWLIE*
Old 12-21-2008, 07:19 AM #28
BOOGPRO
Masters World Champion

BOOGPRO donated to help Peyton Trent
BOOGPRO is playing at Living Legends V
BOOGPRO is playing at Living Legends VI
BOOGPRO is playing at Living Legends VII
LOL Brandon I remeber that pallet and the Door at Badlandz.How about the year before at Vegas Brandon when we played against that cliff with the stands on it and the field was almost knee deep in dust.Then theres Dave and his passion for driving water trucks at Vegas and Badlandz.How about the '94 LA in June that was 110 on the field and 125 in the vendors tent ( I was a vendor for Sheridan at the time and had a thermomter to know the temps).
Original Member of FLA Annihilators, RAGE. Member of Lockout, Jax Warriors, Nemisis, Strange B, Cypress, Mickeys Rats,Legacy Masters, loaned to East Coast Eliminators N.Y., Palm Beach Predetors, Hounds of Hell N.Y.,CFP Masters and many more. Original P.R.O. , NXL Referee,PSP, NPPL, EXL, NCPA,CFPS,SPCS, Ultimate Madness, Areanaball, UK Referee . Draxxus All Stars '08 World Cup Masters Champion

R.I.P. Towlie & Odin

Yes i am the reason we have ID cards now sorry
Old 12-21-2008, 10:24 AM #29
captainspaulding

from my blog

If you were involved in tournament paintball in the late 1990s early 2000s you were part of something very special that may never happen again. The industry for the most part was small and working together to better the sport. the atmosphere around NPPL events was electric, especially the World Cup. it was a party with your best friends and when you were there you knew in your heart that you were part of some thing great.
DYE, National Paintball supply,and smartparts had there huge *** semi trucks that fold out into booths. there was a mixture of fields from woods to hyper (witch used to belong to dye precision, they were the last to convert to air ball bunkers), to air ball. Kingman brought a DJ shocktech had a great setup with a bad *** sound system, and then there was WDP and the infamous Angel heaven. walking around you would bump into major people in the industry and they were cool to talk to.Playing these events was amazing, even if you were a division B player you could and probably would draw a pro team to play against. Aftershock (with Danny Love) and Avalanche (pre Jeremy Salms), and image were the teams to beat back then, things were awesome.
paintball traveled with the warped tour, VANS made shoes specific to our sport..... and some where along the lines things started to slip.

fast foreward just a couple years and you have a league split down the middle. the NPPL bankrupt, An industry that said "forget building a bigger pie I want my slice now" and players that have changed the sport they loved to have a better shot at getting their face on TV, we no longer are seeing as many new players coming up because we are scaring them off before they get a foot in the door. local fields and stores are closing because they can't keep themselves alive in the current market.

the most profound conversation I have had with Tom Kaye was at IAO 2003, he was talking about always looking forward to the event because a lot of the big names would get together at Ms. Dobbins (from ICD ) place and brainstorm about how to make the sport better for the players and the industry, But he said they could no longer do that because of all the lawsuits being thrown around, later that year Tom retired from paintball ..... we need more Tom kayes
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/WMASSREGULATORS
my blog,Life Behind Lenses:
http://lifebehindlenses.blogspot.com/
help Adam
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2796449
Old 12-21-2008, 10:55 PM #30
bctom1776
UWL and PSP General Manager

10 man

Those where the days!!
Old 12-22-2008, 05:27 PM #31
only4theweak187

skyball <3
Old 12-23-2008, 06:01 PM #32
OBseRvATioNiST
"All Eyes On You"

I will miss the crazy inflatable bunker designs that got crazier and crazier with every event. Remember the pyramid? An entire ten man team could break to that thing and make it. We're not even gonna talk about the snakes and how they mysteriously kept getting lower and lower every few events. WTF?!?
Old 12-24-2008, 07:45 AM #33
captainspaulding

do you remember the tunnel bunker for the snake at world cup 00 or 01 (I don't recall exactly what year) with the rule that if you come out of it shot, it was an auto 1 for 1 because the ref couldn't see when you were hit?

I miss my micromag rt and my emag, I think I will take them out this weekend for a dust off
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/WMASSREGULATORS
my blog,Life Behind Lenses:
http://lifebehindlenses.blogspot.com/
help Adam
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2796449
Old 12-24-2008, 07:58 AM #34
robcole

The huge airball bunkers were awesome! like the pmi bridge thing at wc 2002 and the hube diablo mouth!

Remember Dallas 99??? that star field with the old milk trucks was sick and the shale field of death!

Running the the 60 in the woods on the back field at badlands was a memory i will always charish.

I MISS PAINTBALL

Rob lockout/shockwave
Old 12-24-2008, 08:26 AM #35
robcole

I cant forget Wally donners wheel of death!
Old 12-24-2008, 10:00 AM #36
avant_shadow

how many of you remember Steve Davidson and the USPL?
Old 12-24-2008, 10:29 AM #37
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Haha, my team won their one event at Paintfest in Indiana!

Tom Kaye even played with us at that event.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:16 AM #38
mrmag911
Spam ftw!

mrmag911 plays in the PSP
mrmag911 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Thanks for making me feel young Boogie. I got to see the last couple Lively events in the mid 90's and then play a solid decade in the NPPL. My first "national" events were played at the Splat-1 Indoor in Knoxville though.
Ahhh, the good old rodeo arena in Knoxville. Who would have ever guessed they would use Hummers for bunkers and have big rail road ties with netting at the center 50. That was my first "national" tournament and was a great way to start!

Old Feedback: +40/-0
Old 12-26-2008, 10:48 AM #39
MonkeyWithaGun
respect the badge

MonkeyWithaGun is a Supporting Member
MonkeyWithaGun supports Cereal Killerz 2
MonkeyWithaGun donated to help Peyton Trent
MonkeyWithaGun is a videographer
Remember waiting in line to fill your tank for like an hour...

-patrick

"Would you accuse me of causing a riot if I was quiet. Would you?"
Old 12-26-2008, 12:00 PM #40
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmag911 View Post
Ahhh, the good old rodeo arena in Knoxville. Who would have ever guessed they would use Hummers for bunkers and have big rail road ties with netting at the center 50. That was my first "national" tournament and was a great way to start!
I didn't play that one. Skyball was the same weekend so I missed it. I played in several 4 or 5 years earlier though.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:19 PM #41
mrmag911
Spam ftw!

mrmag911 plays in the PSP
mrmag911 plays in the APPA D4 division
Yeah, I had to choose between Skyball and Knoxville and we couldn't afford flights to Toronto.

Old Feedback: +40/-0
Old 12-30-2008, 10:12 PM #42
Spock
Live Long and Bluster

Spock is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dk-79 View Post
I started playing in 2000. I'm nowhere near old school but I've been able to watch the sport go from the fun weekend outing to a no holds bars, disrespectful, blood sport....
There were just as many a-holes in the sport 8 years ago as there are today. They just didn't shoot paint as fast.

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"