Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-14-2008, 12:43 PM #1
RepN the 417
Virus

RepN the 417 plays in the APPA D4 division
RepN the 417 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Format

We have a few new ideas for the up and coming 09 year. But let us know what you want!
Karnage Paintballs
Paintball-Outpost
RepN the 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2008, 05:13 PM #2
DRAGONIntimidator888

i would wait and see what the psp does and do something relatively similar
Old 12-14-2008, 07:07 PM #3
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Could depend on who you are catering to. Obviously tourney ballers, but what kind? New, young, seasoned, national level........ect.

What preference do you have for a foundation? X-ball, 7-man, 3-man.

Where is this series based.

The main reason I ask who you want to attract and what you want as a foundation is because of the PanAm series. Without getting into the deep details and trying to reconstruct the rulebook, it worked well as a developmental league, or "starter" league if you will. I think it is an idea that should be revisited again because it was good for people to get started in. It was a limited paint, 5-man, center flag style game.

In it's heyday, late 90's and early 00's, the PanAm series was a very popular So*Cal series that was the starting point for alot of todays biggest stars/teams. It was limited to 200 rounds(per player), these days that idea would be rejected just due to the habits people have developed. But you could find an acceptable limit to work with, paint limits help people learn the "chess aspect" of the game instead of trying to win by overwhelming other with paint and it helps with costs. It's fairly easy to regulate, empty hoppers, then pick a #of pods per player allowed, lets say 3 (140's). Everyone walks on the field with an empty hopper and 3 pods, once the refs check them out they are free to fill their hoppers and redistribute paint as they see fit. You have to be careful, if you give the back players too much and they get shot early you're hosed, don't give them enough and they can't hold down lanes.

The scoring was based on center flag, 100 point max and broke down something like this:
50pt Hang
25pt 1st pull
3pt Per live player
2pt per elimination.

It kept things interesting cause to advance wasn't just about win/loss. You would often have to plan out what needed to happen for you to advance, or what your opponent might need for them to advance. For instance.If you needed 15 points to advance you would make a hard push to get the 1st pull knowing you would get 25 points, now if the other team was paying attention they would probably put up a "flag defense" type play. Or if you knew you were advancing, but you opponent needed 40 point to advance you might lock the field down to create a stalemate, or force them to come to you and try an cut them down. Granted sometimes it would create some lame games, but more often than not it was interesting.

Keep in mind this type of format will not be eagerly embraced by most of today's younger "experienced" players. Once they get involved some would enjoy the challenges, but it is defiantly more suited to newer players or players still learning the in-and-outs of competitive play. Some older players like it too cause you have to think more and the pace is a little slower.

I know it seems a little radical in today's climate, but keep in mind, it's just one of many possible ideas. You might not like it as-is but it could lead to an idea more suitable for your wants/needs.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:25 PM #4
RepN the 417
Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee72 View Post
Could depend on who you are catering to. Obviously tourney ballers, but what kind? New, young, seasoned, national level........ect.

What preference do you have for a foundation? X-ball, 7-man, 3-man.

Where is this series based.

The main reason I ask who you want to attract and what you want as a foundation is because of the PanAm series. Without getting into the deep details and trying to reconstruct the rulebook, it worked well as a developmental league, or "starter" league if you will. I think it is an idea that should be revisited again because it was good for people to get started in. It was a limited paint, 5-man, center flag style game.

In it's heyday, late 90's and early 00's, the PanAm series was a very popular So*Cal series that was the starting point for alot of todays biggest stars/teams. It was limited to 200 rounds(per player), these days that idea would be rejected just due to the habits people have developed. But you could find an acceptable limit to work with, paint limits help people learn the "chess aspect" of the game instead of trying to win by overwhelming other with paint and it helps with costs. It's fairly easy to regulate, empty hoppers, then pick a #of pods per player allowed, lets say 3 (140's). Everyone walks on the field with an empty hopper and 3 pods, once the refs check them out they are free to fill their hoppers and redistribute paint as they see fit. You have to be careful, if you give the back players too much and they get shot early you're hosed, don't give them enough and they can't hold down lanes.

The scoring was based on center flag, 100 point max and broke down something like this:
50pt Hang
25pt 1st pull
3pt Per live player
2pt per elimination.

It kept things interesting cause to advance wasn't just about win/loss. You would often have to plan out what needed to happen for you to advance, or what your opponent might need for them to advance. For instance.If you needed 15 points to advance you would make a hard push to get the 1st pull knowing you would get 25 points, now if the other team was paying attention they would probably put up a "flag defense" type play. Or if you knew you were advancing, but you opponent needed 40 point to advance you might lock the field down to create a stalemate, or force them to come to you and try an cut them down. Granted sometimes it would create some lame games, but more often than not it was interesting.

Keep in mind this type of format will not be eagerly embraced by most of today's younger "experienced" players. Once they get involved some would enjoy the challenges, but it is defiantly more suited to newer players or players still learning the in-and-outs of competitive play. Some older players like it too cause you have to think more and the pace is a little slower.

I know it seems a little radical in today's climate, but keep in mind, it's just one of many possible ideas. You might not like it as-is but it could lead to an idea more suitable for your wants/needs.
Thanks for the idea, i'm sure we will look into it.
Karnage Paintballs
Paintball-Outpost
Old 12-15-2008, 10:00 AM #5
STLballa126

3 man semi
PROFLEX FOR SALE CHEAP PM IF YOU WANT ANYTHING
STLballa126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:56 PM #6
3DSteve
Total Greif

I think if a team wants to play 3man, they can jump in any of 300 local tournaments. If you want to be a respected regional tournament series, you need to offer more than 3man. It might not be bad for a true beginner's division though.
Art of Pump CPX
3DSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:31 AM #7
RepN the 417
Virus

I know were not going to have just a 3 man series. But I think he was talking about like that, and then a 5man division.
Karnage Paintballs
Paintball-Outpost
Old 12-21-2008, 03:25 PM #8
IonPBaller122
Free Agent 09 Season

Any estimated date on when this will be
IonPBaller122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:20 PM #9
IonPBaller122
Free Agent 09 Season

Hey with the Karnage Series I have some suggestions.

1.) Make it have two tournaments (Teams can enter both)
5 Man Tournament
3 Man Tournament

2.) Prizes should be guns or accessories (nothing like t-shirts)

3.) Have semi-pro and beginner brackets so you can get everyone to come
IonPBaller122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:02 PM #10
RepN the 417
Virus

Thanks, we will take those into account!
Karnage Paintballs
Paintball-Outpost