ign review

not so good. 4.9 poor

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/932/932978p1.html
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2008, 12:42 AM #2
kill-n-spree
MythicalAngelPumpWeilder

Of course it was low.Paintball is not mainstream.We all love PB, but most people could give a rats ***.
COBRA G7,Angel 1,Master tech Angel Force Fly,Angel Gat,Custom Angel Led ,2000 LCD Angel Pump,2k1 Dark Angel,04 Angel Speed,C&C Angel IR3,Ice Fade G7 Fly,DM4,Eblade,Grey Ghost,PGP,2006 Grey Ghost,BLong Cocker,Angel G7,Cobra Mamba FLY,2K1 Angel Fly,Rasta G7 Fly,Dark 2K3 Angel,Euro Angel,2k2 Apollo Angel,2k1 Cobra signature series,Rev-i,Angel IR3 Fly,Disco Dust Dark IR3,05 Speed,2K Blazer,Rasta A4 Fly

Angel Army
Old 11-22-2008, 08:31 AM #3
Lil Roundhouse
Actually Jan '06

Lil Roundhouse plays in the PSP
Lil Roundhouse supports Cereal Killerz 2
Lil Roundhouse is an NCPA player
Lil Roundhouse plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by kill-n-spree View Post
Of course it was low.Paintball is not mainstream.We all love PB, but most people could give a rats ***.

I was expecting a bad review actually. All they will see it as is an extremely repetitive FPS with no plot.

DYE APD
ByF8th D2
RIP 23 :(
Old 11-22-2008, 08:51 AM #4
MurderFX

Quote:
5.5 Presentation
NPPL Championship Paintball’s menus are clean and easy to navigate and the game includes a nice variety of speedball fields and woodsball fields.
5.0 Graphics
Mediocre graphics are nothing special – the game’s numerous paintball fields are all colorful and crisply rendered, but ultimately take on a monotonous feel.
5.0 Sound
A decent rock soundtrack and some fun in-game audio are trumped by the fact that there just isn’t enough variety to keep the sounds feeling fresh.
4.5 Gameplay
NPPL Championship Paintball does a nice job of recreating the feel of real-life paintball and equipping gamers with all the skills the pros utilize. But, the gameplay just feels far too repetitive.
2.0 Lasting Appeal
Unless you’re an avid paintball fan, this game gets real old real fast.
I typically hate IGN reviews and here's my quick recap on their scores. I personally hate how they just give randomly low scores with no appearant reasons.

It's obvious that paintball is not understood so it's going to get lower scores.

Presentation - well if the menu is so nice and easy and there's a wide variety of fields ~ how does it only get average?

Graphics - 5 seems right based on everything I've seen.

Gameplay - lol here. They give COD4 (which I love) a 9.5 but in terms of playing ~ it's virtually the same. Let's see - reload weapon - both, fire weapon - both, fast pass environment - both, many different fields - both, run/dive/kneel - both, limited ammo - both. Seems both games have the same things going for them just paintball isn't popular so it gets a lower score - wow.

Sound - who cares - I've got an ipod to listen to if I want.

Lasting appeal - I can see a 2.0 ~ face it paintball is small potatoes and outside of paintballers there's no lasting appeal.

Oklahoma D-Day 2012 - German Army - Join the fun
Old 11-22-2008, 08:52 AM #5
bulzeye

bulzeye is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
bulzeye donated to help Peyton Trent
bulzeye supports Team VICIOUS
bulzeye is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
ghtp got 7.8 and max'd got a 7.5 when they came out. Of this is really that shorty maybe I'll wait for the new ghtp

KILLA$ KREW
UnspokeN
Old School Feedback
Old 11-22-2008, 09:13 AM #6
SpyzLykeMe

The guys actually says that hardcore paintball fans will enjoy it. He seems to be giving it low marks for overall broad-public (aka non-paintballer) appeal. He says that its a niche game that will be appreciated by the players of the sport.

"Hardcore paintball fans that want to bring the sport to their home gaming consoles: this is your game. Activision has done a decent job bringing the feel of real-life paintball to home consoles with NPPL Championship Paintball 2009. But, is it enough to captivate the casual paintball fan or the gamer looking to lose him or her self in an immersive first-person shooter?"

"It’s easy to see how paintball enthusiasts could love this game, but hard to envision anybody else spending more than an hour playing it before they got bored and disillusioned. This is a niche game and it does a nice job catering to that niche, but doesn’t provide a product that the general gaming audience will appreciate."
Old 11-22-2008, 03:34 PM #7
xfactor6911

xfactor6911 plays in the PSP
xfactor6911 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
xfactor6911 is an NCPA player
xfactor6911 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderFX View Post
I typically hate IGN reviews and here's my quick recap on their scores. I personally hate how they just give randomly low scores with no appearant reasons.

It's obvious that paintball is not understood so it's going to get lower scores.

Presentation - well if the menu is so nice and easy and there's a wide variety of fields ~ how does it only get average?

Graphics - 5 seems right based on everything I've seen.

Gameplay - lol here. They give COD4 (which I love) a 9.5 but in terms of playing ~ it's virtually the same. Let's see - reload weapon - both, fire weapon - both, fast pass environment - both, many different fields - both, run/dive/kneel - both, limited ammo - both. Seems both games have the same things going for them just paintball isn't popular so it gets a lower score - wow.

Sound - who cares - I've got an ipod to listen to if I want.

Lasting appeal - I can see a 2.0 ~ face it paintball is small potatoes and outside of paintballers there's no lasting appeal.
I thought the same thing. Its like they say good things about it, but just had to give it low marks to show that they can be tough in reviews. I wasn't expecting anything passed 8, but 7 or 6 didn't seem to far fetched.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:55 PM #8
jlngbsb
Air Assault Action Hero

jlngbsb owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jlngbsb has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

Perfect point. I can't even to begin to explain how boring the "awesome" games like halo, cod, etc get because they have no more "freshness" of gameplay than this would... Same maps over and over same gametypes over and over... Don't get me wrong I love cod4 and all three halos but they are no less repetitive than this
Jacko "You're late.. You don't need to brush your teeth to play paintball. Look at him he's brushing his teeth.."
Ledz "What? I'm a professional, I can't go out there without clean teeth..."
Old 11-22-2008, 06:00 PM #9
MurderFX

Well since the weather sucks here today instead of playing paintball I went ahead and grabbed NPPL for PS2. So far I'm definitely liking it better in some ways than GHTP but it does have some of the quickerness of GH.

What I like about NPPL over GH:
1. seems less prone to 'wtf' was that! In GH I found times I'd have no idea how I didn't hit someone. It seems better in NPPL but there are times a balls go crazy.
2. Good markers mixed with crap - overall slightly better than GH just based on newer markers.
3. You can jump small bunkers!
4. Reload while moving and shooting - nice.

Things I like on GH over NPPL:
none really.

Things I'm indifferent on:
1. AI. Sometimes they are worthy opponents - sometimes not.
2. Team AI. Sometimes they are there - sometimes they are worthless. Expect to have to get 50% kills a game.

A few quirky stories:
1. I had a 6 on 1 and I was at their back line getting the flag. The other 5 numnuts on my team let their loan guy go up the middle - get the flag, and run center to plant. I had to get the kill.
2. One time in woodsball it was me vs 7. They got the flag - I kill the guy. The next 6 guys run by me - grab the flag and get shot. Only the last guy took shots at me for a double elim.

I'll say this game is a slight step up over GH and for that I like it. I didn't have high expectations and after reading reviews here I figured it suck. It's not as bad as people make it out to be IMO. Again - think of it as a slightly different and slightly better game than GHTP (1 or max). I can't wait till I get my X360 copy next week (I honestly forgot how bad PS2 graphics and load times are - wow).

Old 11-22-2008, 08:17 PM #10
SpyzLykeMe

Quote:
Well since the weather sucks here today instead of playing paintball I went ahead and grabbed NPPL for PS2. So far I'm definitely liking it better in some ways than GHTP but it does have some of the quickerness of GH.

1. seems less prone to 'wtf' was that! In GH I found times I'd have no idea how I didn't hit someone. It seems better in NPPL but there are times a balls go crazy.
2. Good markers mixed with crap - overall slightly better than GH just based on newer markers.

none really.

2. Team AI. Sometimes they are there - sometimes they are worthless. Expect to have to get 50% kills a game.

A few quirky stories:
1. I had a 6 on 1 and I was at their back line getting the flag. The other 5 numnuts on my team let their loan guy go up the middle - get the flag, and run center to plant. I had to get the kill.
2. One time in woodsball it was me vs 7. They got the flag - I kill the guy. The next 6 guys run by me - grab the flag and get shot. Only the last guy took shots at me for a double elim.

I'll say this game is a slight step up over GH and for that I like it. I didn't have high expectations and after reading reviews here I figured it suck. It's not as bad as people make it out to be IMO. Again - think of it as a slightly different and slightly better game than GHTP (1 or max). I can't wait till I get my X360 copy next week (I honestly forgot how bad PS2 graphics and load times are - wow).
Thanks for this. You posted a very good critique that doesn't attempt to over-sensationalize your points with expletives, drama, nor "holyier than thou" remarks.

Well spoken, and well appreciated.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:24 PM #11
D.Berry15
Future Soldier

Quote:

none really.

A few quirky stories:

Like many others say it may not be the best but if the weathers to crappy to go and ball I bet they will be playing this online or just single player. This may suck but you guys can't stay away nobody can.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:06 PM #12
shenaniganz (Banned)

While paintballing may sound cheap compared to some of the FPS games out there, in RL I do paintball, and it is a favorite sport I enjoy besides waverunning. I have and own a Tippmann X7 very modified, and it has more range then most of the speed ball guns on the fields except some of the snipers.
While paintballing may sound cheap compared to some of the FPS games out there, in RL I do paintball, and it is a favorite sport I enjoy besides waverunning. I have and own a Tippmann X7 very modified, and it has more range then most of the speed ball guns on the fields except some of the snipers....
Posted by: Neo-Omega on November 22, 2008 15:54 PDT

wtf, this kid just ramble on how is tippmann is awesome.

noob woodsballer=
Old 11-22-2008, 10:15 PM #13
kacey

lol @ snipers in paintball
+5/-0
Support Pump, And wear our paint
UNKNOWN:Congratulations, You can miss me 25 times a second.
fuelpb-Some men are alive simply because it is against the law to kill them
Old 11-22-2008, 10:26 PM #14
MurderFX

Alright played some more and I'll still stick to my original post I did find one thing I absolutely hate about the game.

Hopper and pod counts. Seriously - 140 count for a Magna and 100 count pods is horrible.

That's my only hate.

I'm working through D1 ranks now and the competition is slightly better. Bought the Shocker NXT as most on here are going the Rapper way - it's not bad. They have the WGP SR as the beginer marker and it wasn't too bad I guess. In real life I find the SR faster in semi than a shocker ~ but not in the game.

Again I'll say this game is a slight improvement to GHTP (1 or max'd) but when it's out on the x360 the online play should be vastly superior thanks to the x360.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:35 PM #15
cd24dc

it has more range then most of the speed ball guns on the fields except some of the snipers....

Haha I didnt know they used snipers in speedball. lmao
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2232682
1of1 custom lazer engraved red/black nxt f/t
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2810371
Old 11-23-2008, 11:18 AM #16
RoobixKyoobe
Whoa Oh.....

2.0- unless your an avid paintball player, it gets old really fast.

theres the problem
Old 11-25-2008, 09:31 AM #17
Luigi Speed 05
PBN made me a gun whore..

Luigi Speed 05 plays in the PSP
Luigi Speed 05 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Luigi Speed 05 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Luigi Speed 05 plays in the APPA D4 division
Luigi Speed 05 supports DLX Technology
I thought the review was fine, especially cos you can tell the dude never held a real paint slinger in his life. the score however was a bit lower than expected by reading the review... I like the game, and yes it's only marginally better than the GHTP games, I really tend not to pay attention to the quality of the graphics too much if I'm having fun with the game. gear selection is a bit on the short side and the games are over way to quickly.. they also could've done different buttons for sliding and jumping, but oh well... overall I like it a lot, just need to play some multiplayer to see if the games are more realistic than career mode, i.e. if they take any more than 30 seconds...

$outh Beach Pimp$ sponsored by: Planet Eclipse, SobePaintball, Deadly Wind, Ninja Paintball & The Ford Report

DaLuxeMob