PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-24-2008, 06:47 PM #1
Bunker-King
Patriot Predators!

Exclamation Building A Tank

I'm 15 and I've been playing speedball and such for about 5 years. But i also do some woodsball. After switching from woodsball to speedball/xball I've been gettin an urge to play woodsball again. I have a tourny team and we all agreed we do a woodsball team too. We are in the process of planning and such on building a tank. Now I have a 22 hp engine we have in our lawnmower...I ****ed it up earlier this summer. So when the grass stops grownin we're using the engine from the lawnmower and from there on idk what to do. The frame im thinking is making some kind of steel tubing or angle iron? The sides are gonna be plywood with net windows and etc. i saw the thread for the turrent so i'll just follow that for the turrent. The cannon I'm not sure about. It'll be co2 for sure. 2 in. barrel. breechloading of some sort. I need help on the cannon design and everything i need after the engine...maybe even some design help.

thanks

edited for filter -- please just type the words out and let the filter star them out. Thanks

Gettin a EGO 9 or a DM9 or possibly a LUXE

Last edited by calvman : 08-24-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Bunker-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2008, 10:35 PM #2
Rob66
youtube.com/shootinstuff

Rob66 posts videos on PbNation
Rob66 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Rob66 is Legendary
Rob66 supports Empire
i personally think that it would be eaiser to buy a golf cart and mod that than to make the whole thing from scratch. you could do your tubing idea off of the back of the cart to extend it, then you might want to move the back wheels to the back of the extended cart. just an idea
Rob66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:08 PM #3
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
building from scratch is very expensive. Go for a diesle gator. That will be a worry free platform to build.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:41 AM #4
Prof Chew

Cromagnum Mower Tanks

Check with Cromagnum Tankerman in the other tank threads he has built several "lawnmower" tanks which work extremely well and are able to traverse very varied terrains compared to golf carts or larger vehicles.
Prof Chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:18 PM #5
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

If you want to build from scratch just make sure you have time and money. a frind thats good at welding wont hurt either. but if you are up to the task go for it. theres far too many half hearted attempts out there. mine included lol.

if you have a lawnmower engine you must have the axel and suspension for it. maybee you could weld up a frame and use these components. something with 4 wheels will be the easiest way to go. Tracks will be the hardest but coolest.

If you go to the link to my teams forums we have a section on paintball tanks. theres a few high quality examples that might interest you. if you need any help pm me

the main cannon is the easy part. try to use a steel air chamber and have a safetey pop off valve. a pressure gauge helps also

1.SS Panzer Korps
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:55 PM #6
EGOed

When I decided to build my first tank , choosing the platform was the most important decision for me.....Even though I am the owner of the paintball field , I still didnt want to be stuck with a butchered golf cart , or some other mechanical monstrosity if I ever decided to get out of the paintball business.....My solution was to use a dual purpose platform that I didnt have to modify or butcher in order to make my tank......ATV's make excellent tanks and one of your friends may already have one.......I have made very formidable tanks out of a 4x4 and a 6x6 ATV by making body frames from PVC pipe that fit to the existing cargo racks and brush gards of the ATV's....The bodies can be removed easily and the ATV's are used for recreation when not doing battle as paintball tanks........I wish I knew how to post pictures on here but if you go to my website........click on our forum and go to the pics and video sections , you will see pictures and even a video from inside the 6x6 tank , doing battle against the 4x4 tank.......I have had a lot of guys look at these tanks and are amazed at how easy they are to build......Im buying another 6x6 ATV platform Friday for another tank.

edit --

We much rather just see the pictures rather than a link to another site.

Thanks
Calvman

Last edited by calvman : 11-06-2008 at 12:11 PM.
EGOed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:06 AM #7
daimlerdude

i started with a spare parts jeep out in the back yard cut the body off with a sawsall welded an angle iron shell to it filled it in with plywood and instant m3 anti tank half track minus the tracks so far. either way its money and time. still working the bugs out and by the way the black netting you guys use to cover your tanks. where can i get some to cover the back of our track?
daimlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:39 AM #8
ace0007

I saw a tank at ION made from a Jeep? We are throwing around the idea of eventually turning a bronco/blazer into a tank. I'd prefer like an APC with a gun on the top. Anyone have any tips on this?

PM me for my facebook!
Newly Contracted RTM player
ace0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:08 PM #9
lukster14
"CupCake"

lol you could do what i am

check out the m 1117 apc, its modern and 4 wheel drive and i has configurations to mount a 50 cal and a grenade launcher in the same turret

we are making it out of my old jeep grand cherokee laredo, jacked up 3 inches, with a fully independant and motorized turret system

we just got all the repairs done on the tank, are waiting for the pieces for the referee's external cutoff switch, then we r gonna get rolling
"Lemmaximus Giganticus" #999
I'm "cupcake" the 300 pound ghillie guy
"LOOK OUT, Its Sasquach... oh wait no, its just a fat guy in ghillie" ion 08
"Hmmm angry happy faces... is that supposed to be a contradiction or somthing???"
Proud owner of palmer superstocker PS137, and one of the 1 of 5 "happy" etec2's
and an 08 stars and striped ego
http://www.pbnation.com/feedbackdeta...34418&u=416763 feedback
lukster14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:10 PM #10
captainheroz

My team the wolfpack just got a old f250 ( named it Kruel Intentons). Fixed it up a little then painted it camo. We are planning on making a camper shell and putting 2 hole in the roof then some side ports with some plastic on the outside so nobody can get shot thats in the inside of it.
captainheroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:13 PM #11
captainheroz

O about that cannon i wouldnt make one because most fields wont allow you to use them. O yah because your 15 just but a go kart then put some netting and plexi glass. Maybe make a little trailer that some people can sit in and shoot.
captainheroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:23 PM #12
Sieg

Golf carts or go carts are definately the best way to go, both can be picked up dirt cheap. Building one from scratch will get VERY expensive and time consuming. And building off a vehicle liike a jeep is not a good idea as alot of insurance companies are not allowing them on the fields. Plus think of the costs of dragging an extra vehicle to a game, maintenence ect. I'm in the process of building my second tank now. Our first one was built from a golf cart, extended 10" in the back with a steel frame, plywood walls and netted windows. All this can be built for around $1000 if you can find a golf cart for a few hundred bucks. I know that's alot of money for a 15 yr. old, but you'll spend alot more starting from nothing but an old lawnmower motor. Here's what we built(the black one), and the 6x6 in the back is blackangelss

Last edited by Sieg : 11-24-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:50 PM #13
alpha_black_guy
Canadian Woodsballer

Nothing like a Iron Cross to represent? eh??
Old 04-15-2009, 07:19 PM #14
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

Bunker K,

Since you indicate you are 15 years old your going to have several limitations even when you build a tank. The big thing is transporting it to and from games. Unless you have a relative or older friend willing to assist you in this tank quest. I suggest hold off until your old enough to drive yourself places. Whatever vehicle type you decide to use is going to limit for what you want to do at this time. If you play at a certainfield alot perhaps the field owner will allow you to store and run your tank there. Perhaps they could even sponser you and help you with the tank building and some costs. A good tank isnt going to be cheap unless you have alot of help with people donating things for your cause. If you want some ideas on building a tank send me a private message and we can talk that way. There are several threads on this site and others on building tanks. I suggest scan through them and decide on a design of what kind of a tank you want. But the first thing is to decide on a vehicle type such as a golf cart, used riding lawnmower of at least 18-22 HP, or some kind of ATV go cart. Regular go carts are not really designed to hold the weight and go over rough terrain. If you can find something else such as a Rhino-polaris, etc, thats even better. I suggest staying away from a street vehicle such as a truck or jeep. First your not old enough to drive it yet and if you dress it up your going to have to put it on a heavy duty trailer to transport to games. Most of us have started with a concept tank and made several changes to them. The riding lawnmower tank we have now doesnt even come close to what it looked like two years ago when we took it to its first game. It has the same riding lawnmower but everything else has changed. Good luck on whatever you decide and if you need some ideas send me a message.

Nelson
Team CroMagnum Armor
Cromagnum Tankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:29 PM #15
maful

You can get this :
http://www.maxatvs.com/index.php?sub...at egory=Main
maful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:07 PM #16
Boom Master
Scenario Player

I'd be happy to help with your cannon build. Breechloaders are easy to make. A plumbing project.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote