Community Focus

Old 11-20-2008, 03:40 PM #253
Spock
Live Long and Bluster

Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens23 View Post
Honestly, the reason I like NPPL better is nothing to do with 7 man. Its the point system. You get points for staying alive,you get points for eliminations, you get points for first flag pulls and hangs etc... Its exactly why I hate Xball.By the way, timing should not be a part of paintball. Its like watching football and after each play stopping the clock because of a penalty. Its stupid and doesn't belong. I do however like the psp 5 man. They use a point system.
There's honestly no reason they couldn't adopt a point system that takes things like that into account. For instance, each "game" could be have potential 10 points:
3 points for the hang,
2 for the first pull, and
1 for every body you have alive when you hang

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2008, 04:04 PM #254
flarkey25
Raging Weasel

That kills what xball is all about though... One of the reasons I personally love Xball is because I can run down the field to try and take someone out to break open the game without worrying about losing points for it and potentially missing the cut by those lost points. As long as I shoot the guy, or at least draw a bunch of attention for a second, I've done my job. You can't do things like that in 7-man. There's a sense of wreckless abandonment that makes it way more intense. People have a lot less to lose, so they're more willing to make way riskier moves.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:14 PM #255
mikenawnaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
Higher rates of fire help you counter paintballs bouncing and lack of accuracy at long distances.

But if the opponent is here -->

And you are shooting....................................here -->

No amount of rate of fire is going to help you.

- Chris

Higher rates of fire also combat people sliding hits off.

I put as much as I can on you while your going into the snake; i dont want you to have a icecubes chance in hell to slide or wipe all of them off.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:17 PM #256
mikenawnaw

I call my ideal format "tex-ball". Not sure if anyones ever actually played a game, but i Just wrote down all the rules to make a format as fun, interesting, and diverse as posible. (whether it be 3,5 or 7 man)
It goes 1 for pull, 2 for hang (among other).

Also, my favorite part of nppl is the large breakout options compted to x-ball. .... what if they had 7-man x-ball? (or... x-ball on a 7-man field).

TOO crazy, but still.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:45 PM #257
Spock
Live Long and Bluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenawnaw View Post
I call my ideal format "tex-ball". Not sure if anyones ever actually played a game, but i Just wrote down all the rules to make a format as fun, interesting, and diverse as posible. (whether it be 3,5 or 7 man)
It goes 1 for pull, 2 for hang (among other).

Also, my favorite part of nppl is the large breakout options compted to x-ball. .... what if they had 7-man x-ball? (or... x-ball on a 7-man field).

TOO crazy, but still.
How about 10 man x-ball, no bunkers, with paintball blowguns

"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Old 11-20-2008, 04:47 PM #258
gbaby19 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
How about 10 man x-ball, no bunkers, with paintball blowguns
only if they allow ramping
Old 11-20-2008, 05:27 PM #259
mikenawnaw

nah thatd be to hard to ref.

for those of you too new to the sport to have watched 10 man, catch a video some time its ridiculus.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:35 PM #260
bradownsu7

i miss the 10 man days

i think they should make another national tournament league for 10 man

a couple weeks ago at my local field we had a 12 v 12 game it was awesome
CFPS Event 6 1st Place 2011
CFPS Series Champions 2011

Gold and White Nt11
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3804775
Old 11-20-2008, 11:06 PM #261
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
There's honestly no reason they couldn't adopt a point system that takes things like that into account. For instance, each "game" could be have potential 10 points:
3 points for the hang,
2 for the first pull, and
1 for every body you have alive when you hang
The point of X-ball is to make it a very easy to follow format with lots of aggressive moves. If you bring in all these different points and take away the motivation to run down the field and make suicide moves, you defeat the purpose of the format. It's no longer as simple as "hang the flag for a point" and players won't be so quick to make big moves. You will effectively make the matches boring and more complicated than need be.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:23 PM #262
Spock
Live Long and Bluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforcegtid00d View Post
The point of X-ball is to make it a very easy to follow format with lots of aggressive moves. If you bring in all these different points and take away the motivation to run down the field and make suicide moves, you defeat the purpose of the format. It's no longer as simple as "hang the flag for a point" and players won't be so quick to make big moves. You will effectively make the matches boring and more complicated than need be.
Perhaps, but giving points for the pull would add a stronger focus to the game. If you want people to be reckless and make big moves, that's one way to do it. You can just take away the points for live bodies then.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:00 AM #263
mikenawnaw

spock your numbers put MORE of an emphasis on whose left alive at the end of a game then even NPPL does. And who pulls in a 2 flag game?

Keep G count out of x-ball for sure. The only thing that should even be talked about is pull's. THe flag pull would surpass the shoot-out as the most excitig play in sports (because you know hes going get it... in the face).
Old 11-21-2008, 05:51 AM #264
pballer13

pballer13 helped look for balloons
pballer13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pballer13 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The True BushMaster View Post
NPPL and PSP are the 2 dominant national paintball leagues.
NPPL is based around 7-man (though they now have a 5-man division) and is simply elimination based.
PSP is the other league, and they have standard 5-man and X-Ball.
X-ball consists of 2 halfs in which the teams race to a certain number of points. (It varies per division)
General idea of the 2 differences...
NPPL isn't really dominate, they are struggling compared to PSP.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:50 AM #265
Spock
Live Long and Bluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenawnaw View Post
spock your numbers put MORE of an emphasis on whose left alive at the end of a game then even NPPL does. And who pulls in a 2 flag game?

Keep G count out of x-ball for sure. The only thing that should even be talked about is pull's. THe flag pull would surpass the shoot-out as the most excitig play in sports (because you know hes going get it... in the face).
I was talking about awarding points for the pull in X-Ball, which is center flag. I would also be in favor of 7-man (or even 10-man if it still existed) being a center flag game. The flags in the 2-flag game are completely pointless.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:18 AM #266
xboxdave13
Fame not Fortune

xboxdave13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
xboxdave13 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
I was talking about awarding points for the pull in X-Ball, which is center flag. I would also be in favor of 7-man (or even 10-man if it still existed) being a center flag game. The flags in the 2-flag game are completely pointless.
completely agree! the two flags serve no purpose, its a last man standing match considering you cant get the flag without eliminating all opposing players anyhow.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:34 AM #267
Spock
Live Long and Bluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxdave13 View Post
completely agree! the two flags serve no purpose, its a last man standing match considering you cant get the flag without eliminating all opposing players anyhow.
I guess it made sense in the woods, but can't say that I ever saw the point of a two flag speedball game.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:44 PM #268
shock2k3
get hostile

shock2k3 is a Supporting Member
shock2k3 plays in the APPA D4 division
I miss 10 man (the dogs were the shiz back then) they should do a 10 man xball style field with centerflag, 10bps cap and a nppl point system....

and ya the two flag thing is from way back in the day nppl was woods

another differance in nppl and psp is, nppl was started by players who wanted there own series that wasnt run by ***holes so they started their own league. then the promoters of nppl started causing tension with the players and ended up seperating and making psp. and nxl was made up by procaps,and became the basic ruleset for psp once they were founded

so preety much..

promotion sports paintball - basic ruleset is designed to be easy to watch and follow, with more viewer friendly penalties, fields, and gameplay. also the games were in a timed format to promote fast games whereas if you play fast you could get more chances to win. obviosly everything changes and now there are many differant rulesets for psp based on the original idea of "viewer friendly" compared to nppl which never really took viewers into consideration when designing their form of gameplay (more so adopting their rules)

national professional players league - founded by players they kept the rules they new well, which was 2 flag games, where you eliminate get the flag and win (back in the day you could swing getting the flagfirst sometimes)they had a more evolving ruleset with no real organization, adding and changing rules to benifit the players.these days its a little differant but the rules are just really an evolved version of old. therefore games have kept there same basic ideals, in that you still have to accomplish the same goals, and you still have to work most probelems out on the field, and unlike psp you dont really get to go at it untill youve undoubtedly proven a winner, even if you see a team in finals and prelims youll probly play them 3 times instead of 10 or so almost guarenteed

they each have their own unique feel and style of play, and there are many reasons to love, like, hate them both, however in all the differances they may have we are all

ballers.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:34 PM #269
b-town pb
Too poor to play.

b-town pb owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
b-town pb is for the Gunfight
whatever happened to the smart parts championship? IMO it was pretty nice...i did see it a few years ago when i didnt know much about the sport yet but it seemed like it was cool also i think that psp is just greedy... the price to enter events is high but you get more than nppl... at nppl you play d1/2/or 3 and youre basically playing teams in your backyard they should consider having a day where "pro" teams play semi-pro teams or even against division teams just for something to watch and mix it up a little

"Originally posted by SHOOT3R USA: Billy Mays doesn't sell it therefore its crap."
"Originally said by Bender:You're twice the THEE he ever was!"
Old 11-21-2008, 04:00 PM #270
shock2k3
get hostile

shock2k3 is a Supporting Member
shock2k3 plays in the APPA D4 division
the smart parts thing was a sponsord 3 man event if your thinking of the one i remember, and it was legit pros on the televised thing. it was pretty entertaining

and about the pros playing lower divisions on another day, although its a crazy idea, it would be great to have some sort of alternate series like a feeder event where they build a nasty pro lineup and its like a best 2 out of 3 enter your team to play and you get to have your *** handed too you. itd be great to watch and create alot of hype for 7 man ithink...

besides rooting on all your favorite pros on the same team (like a 20 man lineup and they alternate 7's) im sure theyd have fun with it and maybe get to see some locals beat the pros
Old 11-21-2008, 04:58 PM #271
mikenawnaw

^^^ FTL

I am sorry, but those were just SP infomercials. I am no hater, and I own an Ion, Imp, and Ephiph... but seriously, that wasn't real

EDIT: but the rest of your idea is not all that bad, just dont see it happening at this point.

Last edited by mikenawnaw : 11-21-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:23 PM #272
IHATEPAINTBALL321
**** PAINTBALL

xball ftw.

just saying.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:29 PM #273
DynastyKid092
hi

DynastyKid092 plays in the PSP
DynastyKid092 plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-town pb View Post
whatever happened to the smart parts championship? IMO it was pretty nice...i did see it a few years ago when i didnt know much about the sport yet but it seemed like it was cool also i think that psp is just greedy... the price to enter events is high but you get more than nppl... at nppl you play d1/2/or 3 and youre basically playing teams in your backyard they should consider having a day where "pro" teams play semi-pro teams or even against division teams just for something to watch and mix it up a little
They did this up until 2006.