PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:14 PM #85
equang2
+0553D uR 54!4d

equang2 helped look for balloons
is there any way i can get spyder training pants for less than 200?

my friend is telling me to get nice 100$ reusch glovesand poles dont matter so get cheap poles/guards

Last edited by equang2 : 11-19-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:43 PM #86
ghostcell

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by equang2 View Post
ok i wont buy reusch gloves. ill look for pole guards, shin guards and the spyder racing pants

what should i look for in nice poles? i dont want to spend over 100, but over 50 is fine and i want something durable/lasting. any help?

people are telling me leki but i want to head into the store with some prior knowlege.
I'm not a fan of the triggers to be honest, but that's just my opinion.

As long as you get a straight pole that's your size or SL you'll be fine.

And eq you need to look for training shorts at ski sales that are hosted by mountain/ski teams if you can. Cheapest place to get them.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:00 PM #87
equang2
+0553D uR 54!4d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostcell View Post
I'm not a fan of the triggers to be honest, but that's just my opinion.

As long as you get a straight pole that's your size or SL you'll be fine.

And eq you need to look for training shorts at ski sales that are hosted by mountain/ski teams if you can. Cheapest place to get them.
my friend just says get crappy gloves/poleguards/shinguards/poles since they dont matter as much, and i can concentrate on my technique and stuff even if i have cheapish gear. he says to get those spyder training pants though because if i race, i cant use my normal ski pants since last year when i got 2 races for the HS team, i had to wear bball shorts(lol) and it was HELLA COLD
Old 11-20-2008, 08:37 PM #88
ghostcell

Yeah you're going to need training shorts if you're wearing a GS suit, but the quality of the guards doesn't matter. I find whatever the hell is in mah basement.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:23 PM #89
Killa_X
Beer-thirty!

Killa_X is a Paintball photographer
yeah, get a ****ty pair of poles. I loved using the composite GOODE poles, but now i just use whatever i can get for really cheap, because i end up ruining them, either landing bad and bending them or breaking baskets off, or just destroying them by clinking them together all the time.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:36 PM #90
ghostcell

Do you ever use your polestraps?

I stopped after my pole strap ripped my forearm apart. This is what happened to my arm:

**** pole straps.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:54 AM #91
equang2
+0553D uR 54!4d

Quote:

I stopped after my pole strap ripped my forearm apart. This is what happened to my arm:

**** pole straps.
um our coach makes us use them on every run we make. how did that happen? do you think your part of the 1% that got injured by a polestrp? i hate pole straps too, when i free ski i usually dont use them because they are a pain in the ***, but sometimes its funny wheni stick a pole in the ground and it gets stuck in the middle of my run lol. rarely but its funny

anyways are you suggesting i get those leki triggers? our coach says we should use our pole straps since we get better push, and obviously you dont want to lose a pole in a race.

edit:dam i thought that picture was your whole arm with elbow . now i realize that it is your forearm.

i have taken many a bad spill and im kinda scared now to get really injured(like a broken bone) i only ski at a dIN 6 right now, not looking to raise it much higher yet. but most of my falls have been just bad balance/out of control and stuff.

the cheapest trigger S pole is like 129.99 tho, i dont want to spend that much on something that might break. suggestions?

Last edited by equang2 : 11-21-2008 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:58 AM #92
Killa_X
Beer-thirty!

Quote:

**** pole straps.
ow, that hadda hurt a lil bit. I'll still used my straps though. Then only time i take them off is when i'm in the woods.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:52 PM #93
equang2
+0553D uR 54!4d

Got my reusch gloves and spyder training pants today. Looking for leki trigger poles still
Old 11-21-2008, 06:51 PM #94
Trauma11

Trauma11 plays in the PSP
Trauma11 supports Cereal Killerz 2
Trauma11 donated to help Peyton Trent
Trauma11 plays in the APPA D4 division
bought rossi scratch boots today
Old 11-21-2008, 08:46 PM #95
ghostcell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa_X View Post
ow, that hadda hurt a lil bit. I'll still used my straps though. Then only time i take them off is when i'm in the woods.
Yeah it sucked. I caught an edge going off a mogle when it was all soft and slushy snow, and I rolled onto my right side, but my left pole caught under my body so it tugged at my arm and just ripped the bones apart. It sucked hard hahaha, especially since I was a good 4 hours from home and had to get surgery that night.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 PM #96
equang2
+0553D uR 54!4d

Quote:
Yeah it sucked. I caught an edge going off a mogle when it was all soft and slushy snow, and I rolled onto my right side, but my left pole caught under my body so it tugged at my arm and just ripped the bones apart. It sucked hard hahaha, especially since I was a good 4 hours from home and had to get surgery that night.
ok so thats a bit extreme and i dont ski mogul but i do take a ton of hard falls.

anyways with my reusch gloves: i used these head gloves last year and about half way through the year both gloves had rips in the palms, and it was cold as ****. with the reusch gloves honestly i paid 80ish for them with a 20% discount factored in so really can i expect to use these gloves for 2 years? i would like to be able to go out to practice and not have these gloves get destroyed on me that would make me real happy. i wont take them when i dick around at free skiing but for practice i will be workin them hard. the spyder training pants, i got the new 09 ones, they look like really nice pants, not flashy(i wanted orange ) but they look like solid pants to me. i think i got em for 160ish, again with a 20% racer discount since i told them i skiied for an HS team.

looking online i see that most leki poles have a 2 year warranty on shaft breakage so im guessing that if i bend one really bad that i should just snap it and get a new pair? honestly with the carbon fiber i think that they snap before they bend anyways so does leki follow through with their 2 year warranty most of the time? right now im using swix poles, one of them is in the GS shape from a bend (lol) and the other is straight but i like them. the GS bend isnt 2 bad, i tried to bend it back but im afraid of snapping it since i kinda like the poles. better than scott poles IMO
Old 11-21-2008, 10:34 PM #97
equang2
+0553D uR 54!4d

going into my 2nd year i really want to improve on my slalom. watching some worldcup vids, that stuff looks real intense and i know leg strength really factors into the success of a slalom skiier but since i am still in dryland training/conditioning:

are there any articles/videos that you more experienced racers can find online for me that would help my slalom skiing? any help here would be GREATLY appreciated, i am really looking to make a push for my varsity squad to help them make states this year and i am really PUMPED/looking forward to this ski season. i will do my best to put it out there, but since i am not yet on the hills is there anything i can read/watch that will help me ski better?

its hard for me to find stuff since i come up with is water skiing(lol) and other random stuff.

any links/websites would be again, GREATLY appreciated.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:20 AM #98
ghostcell

Are there any mountain teams near you? Join a club/team formed by a mountain near you if you can and get real coaching.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:46 AM #99
equang2
+0553D uR 54!4d

Quote:
Are there any mountain teams near you? Join a club/team formed by a mountain near you if you can and get real coaching.
well i already ski 4 days a week from HS practice so i dont really need that. and i have NASTAR races on saturday, not league ones but they are ones that cost like 10$ at my mountain and they r pretty fun sometimes, easy course but its alright.

im just looking for some articles or something to read online about slalom so i can get in a better mindset/understanding of it all. last season, it took me about 3 months to even be able to turn close enough to the gates in slalom to even have to hit them. so this season im hoping to improve upon that even more.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:00 AM #100
Killa_X
Beer-thirty!

i'm using ****ty scott poles right now, but i may pick up a pair of the spicolli's from joystick, considering they look awesome and are some what cheap.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:20 PM #101
ghostcell

Just look up some agility/ski exercises and workouts for SL.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:22 PM #102
equang2
+0553D uR 54!4d

ok im getting my skis tomorow
the first night, should i base prep and then wait 15 min and then apply wax?
what do you guys do b4 you wax? in season i did the steel brush b4 waxing, but it says online that u should use base cleaner/base prep/wax the first night.

what should i do?i have base prep, ch6 and lf8 left from last year so i think ima buy some lf7 and maybe ch4.

i think im going to use lf7,ch6,ch7 for this season, towards end of season use lf8 and ch8.

edit:tomorow i will probably iron brush, use cleaner, use base prep, scrape, use ch6, scrape. done

Last edited by equang2 : 11-22-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:01 PM #103
Trauma11

skiied loon today
Old 11-22-2008, 08:25 PM #104
Killa_X
Beer-thirty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by equang2 View Post
ok im getting my skis tomorow
the first night, should i base prep and then wait 15 min and then apply wax?
what do you guys do b4 you wax? in season i did the steel brush b4 waxing, but it says online that u should use base cleaner/base prep/wax the first night.

what should i do?i have base prep, ch6 and lf8 left from last year so i think ima buy some lf7 and maybe ch4.

i think im going to use lf7,ch6,ch7 for this season, towards end of season use lf8 and ch8.

edit:tomorow i will probably iron brush, use cleaner, use base prep, scrape, use ch6, scrape. done

as for the bases, i use a base cleaner to clean them, use a base prep wax and then use a specific temperature wax. I've never been a big fan of using a steel brush. My dad bought a nice brush set for waxing. You put the brush and guard together and then put it into a drill. Works extremely well and is way faster than scraping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma11 View Post
skiied loon today
sick, how was it?
Old 11-22-2008, 10:02 PM #105
Trauma11

good, steeper stuff got icy later on, good opening day