Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-16-2008, 05:03 PM #64
green bean

has been a member for 10 years
They both have pros and cons, but i would probably like xball a lot more than i do now if it didn't have coaching. aslo, while watching 7man play on camera varies in entertainment from game to game, nothing is like being at the event.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2008, 05:11 PM #65
russianlegion3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintbalr4lif20 View Post
a few seconds? have you played/watched xball before

just because the games arent close to 5 or 6 minutes long doesnt make it not exciting. its more exciting when people are constantly moving and people have to react quicker to the other team. it also takes a lot more endurance to play an xball match, cause you dont have 30 minutes in between games
They have to react quicker? They have freaking coaches on the sideline telling them where players are at, where they should move up to, and IMO that's just a horrible idea.

X-Ball is more running chaos, you have one All star player, that makes it to a 50, and the other team is toast...and yes I have played X-Ball before.

7-Man, is definetely strategic, you make one dumb move, your done. You have one player down, you can still do good.

NPPL is mental and physical endurance, and don't say it's not.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:12 PM #66
ihateyourface

ihateyourface plays in the PSP
ihateyourface posts videos on PbNation
ihateyourface plays in the APPA D3 division
Go play 2 7 man games. you'll be as tired as playing 2 full x-ball lite matches.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:35 PM #67
Wonka

Wonka plays in the USPL
Wonka plays in the PSP
Wonka donated to help Peyton Trent
Wonka plays in the APPA D3 division
If you think it is boring then why would you watch it?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:47 PM #68
mikenawnaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarkey25 View Post
Seriously, I want to know how many of you have actually played both formats in the national tournament setting... I think a lot of you have these misconceptions of a format you've never even played.

If you ask me, Xball is much more of a thinking man's game. You have to play that team, at a bare minimum, 5 times in D3 and 7 times in D2/D1. Most games aren't blow-outs though, so you'll usually play each team a good 7-10 times per match. That means you need to go out there, win a point, come back out and try to win another point after the other team seeing exactly how you put together your game plan just two minutes prior. So, unless you are really just leaps and bounds better than the other teams in your division, you have to be able to make play choices that will keep it varried enough that the other team won't be able to know exactly where you're going every point. We've taken advatange of teams who haven't done this in the past. By all means, some of them may have had better gun skills, but they always did the same thing. By the 3rd point, we knew exactly where each guy was going to go off the break and where everyone was going to look once they got to their bunkers. We switch a few guys' guns and send someone to a different bunker and completely destroy them the next 6-7 points...

Good teams, however, will lose a point and then completely dissect your plays. If you sent a guy hard snake side when you won, you better believe they're going to have two guns on that snake... Or will they? Maybe they are expecting you to push the D side hard since you just pushed snake the last point, so they're going to put two guns D-side? Or maybe they noticed your laners shot from the center towards the outsides, so they're going to send someone X to get all your shooters stuck in the center and try and hit a guy running out wide... You have to take all that into consideration in the next minute and a half or so while you're loading your pods, getting air and cleaning off hits, and then come up with a play you think will work against how this team has been playing you.

7-man you just kind of flip a coin on how you think they'll breakout and hope for the best. Once you get into finals and the best of 3 format kicks in you get some of that game play thinking going on, but for the most part if you send a guy snake OTB against a team and make it, and then win the game you beat that team and move on. In Xball you have to be able to replicate that at least 7-10 times, per team. Good luck with that.

Paper/scissors/rock is never a thinking mans game; no matter how many times you play it.

I think both formats are here to stay; but in I lose respect for you if you can't respect 7-man, or the potential that x-ball has for that matter.

Those defending coaching; just make it a bit harder; move the crowd back; take it out of our sport as much as possible.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:53 PM #69
Cpu Queff
Hamster

nppl is slower but not boring.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:36 PM #70
skwirnmn
Chris Loh

skwirnmn has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
[quote=rtman26;53289304]

while i think the ramping thing does take something out of it....and i dont think its necessary at all (probably thought up by the paint companies...cuz last time i played an xball event we shot like 75 cases...) QUOTE]

ramping owns
everything is capped at 13 so there is more skill involved
it takes away the factor of having fast fingers and requires more skills like snap shooting and diving

nppl does require more team work so communication must be perfect
Old 11-16-2008, 07:43 PM #71
ihateyourface

ihateyourface plays in the PSP
ihateyourface posts videos on PbNation
ihateyourface plays in the APPA D3 division
ramping actually HURTS the paint companies. 90% of the teams that play nppl/psp have a paint deal.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:00 PM #72
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
I'm always amused by the people who believe things that are just plain not true.

"semi-auto" guns shoot every bit as fast as ramping guns. If you don't believe me, just ask al the players who are convinced they're shooting 18 bps in real semi, or all the players mad about 13.3 bps ramping because they think they're shooting faster than that.

Ramping guns shoot 13.3. "semi-auto" guns shoot 13.3 AND UP.

Virtually *EVERY* electronic gun on the market ramps, even in semi-auto mode. If it didn't, you wouldn't buy it because you'd think it shoots slow.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
Old 11-16-2008, 08:01 PM #73
roccityhustle#7

X-Ball>7 Man

Barrie Chop Shop '09
Hustle '07, '08, '09
Old 11-16-2008, 08:04 PM #74
nOrthwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtman26 View Post
am i the only one that thinks nppl is alot harder to watch than xball? cuz of lack of excitement. hmmm 2 minutes of people shooting lanes while one guy moves, 10 minutes in bettween games, 3 more minutes of people shooting lanes, repeat forever. its cool that they're offering a webcast, but they need to spice it up a bit. of course things will probably get better once the prelims are over...just my opinion....flame away
Have to disagree.

Both are exciting

Brand New 30 Gig Zune ~ PM ME.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:07 PM #75
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforcegtid00d View Post
Please remember that the PSP was in part created to provide the public with a faster paced format that is easy to watch.
I think you mean XBAll was created in part.... PSP was created before XBall was.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 PM #76
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycpb View Post
think about it being chess and checkers.
That's not the right analogy. Chess and checkers are totally different games.

Think of it like Chess and Speed Chess.

You wouldn't say there's no strategy in speed chess, would you?

Yes, 7-man gives you a lot more time to think about what you're doing. But whether being able to make a good decision in minutes is "better" than being able to make a good decision in seconds is going to be a matter of preference. Some people will like speed chess better, some will like regular chess better, and some will like to play both.

But I think it's pretty obvious which is more fun to watch.

And get this - did you know that in Football, Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, *AND* Hockey you can see where ALL the other players are *ALL* the time? Sure isn't any strategy there is there...

- Chris

Old 11-16-2008, 09:57 PM #77
flarkey25
Raging Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateyourface View Post
Go play 2 7 man games. you'll be as tired as playing 2 full x-ball lite matches.
I started on a D2 Xball team this entire season... I played a majority of the points our team played, and I will promise you that's not true, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateyourface View Post
ramping actually HURTS the paint companies. 90% of the teams that play nppl/psp have a paint deal.
You're misinformed again... Most of the teams don't get some sweet deal.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:01 PM #78
TX_Kaoskid
Bobert

TX_Kaoskid plays in the PSP
TX_Kaoskid owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
TX_Kaoskid plays in the APPA D3 division
TX_Kaoskid has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarkey25 View Post
I started on a D2 Xball team this entire season... I played a majority of the points our team played, and I will promise you that's not true, haha.

You're misinformed again... Most of the teams don't get some sweet deal.
he needs to get his facts rights.

we were broke after one xball event.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:42 AM #79
Spitfirex59

Spitfirex59 plays in the PSP
Spitfirex59 plays in the APPA D3 division
Tell me about it!!! I waited 4 HOURS between 2 games Sat afternoon.

edit- I wonder how many of these people have even played a national event..
Old 11-17-2008, 01:10 AM #80
TheBoss33

TheBoss33 is a Supporting Member
TheBoss33 is All In
TheBoss33 is All In
I prefer play the NPPL format but I must admit watching PSP is more entertaining. The sad thing for me about the PSP format is that you see local tournament with begginers playing with ramping guns. These young player use ramping like a crutch. They never truly learn how to shoot well with both hands. I am not just talking about speed either, form goes out the window when you can lean on putting a ton of paint in the air to hold guys in. I would love to see some form of hybrid for the lower or even pro. Semi Xball would be a blast for me. Reward those that work hard to play right.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:48 AM #81
noobkiller123 (Banned)
****stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss33 View Post
I prefer play the NPPL format but I must admit watching PSP is more entertaining. The sad thing for me about the PSP format is that you see local tournament with begginers playing with ramping guns. These young player use ramping like a crutch. They never truly learn how to shoot well with both hands. I am not just talking about speed either, form goes out the window when you can lean on putting a ton of paint in the air to hold guys in. I would love to see some form of hybrid for the lower or even pro. Semi Xball would be a blast for me. Reward those that work hard to play right.
my local series has 2 formats
d5 and d3
d5 is 5man xball but with no coaching and semi auto
d3 is similar to d3xball/d3/45man same callibar of teams too. most playing in the PSP. Coaching, 13.3bps ramping.
works out really well TPA tourneys ftw

And it blows my mind how many people in here think they know what they are talking about! lol

Last edited by noobkiller123 : 11-17-2008 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:39 AM #82
danbob1088
succisa virescit

danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
I would love to see some form of hybrid for the lower or even pro. Semi Xball would be a blast for me. Reward those that work hard to play right.
Class A NCPA ftw.

flickr
Old 11-17-2008, 09:24 AM #83
xboxdave13
Fame not Fortune

xboxdave13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
xboxdave13 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
^^the exact point I was trying to get at with my post.

most people work hard to train there fingers and mind to be able to hammer a trigger consistantly, then once they can, they have to switch hands and start all over. that practice to get and advantage over the player your dueling goes out the window with ramping. (I cant hammer the trigger for crap, that doesnt mean the guy that can should loose his advantage on me. ultimately he has worked hard to get that little advantage.)

cheating will be an element of any sport, harsher penalties for cheaters will help minimize it. make an example from a few cheaters who can be caught and the rest will see.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:03 AM #84
Mr. Short Pants
I show off my shoes.

Annual Supporting Member
Mr. Short Pants plays in the PSP
Mr. Short Pants supports Cereal Killerz 2
I enjoy watching both because I can understand both. The problem with viewing paintball on a monitor/tv is you can't always understand where the players are shooting so you can't really get a perfect idea of what is going on. Sure, if someone crawls down the snake, pops up and shoots some people in the back, you know what happened, but if you're sitting there watching and nobody moves and nobody dies for 30 seconds, there's really nothing to work with.