PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-07-2008, 08:32 PM #1
CarlJohnson3
Flexin' 9's since '91

Need advice

Well, I'm building a AT gun and I have most of it designed and most of the parts, but I need a little help. I want to do this really nice and not make a half-assed job like a lot of launchers I have seen. I'm using a sprinkler valve (rated for 150 PSI) for this project. I'm using a PVC expansion chamber for now until I can make an Aluminum one. The PVC is rated at somewhere around 180 PSI, so I'll be fine until I make another one out of Aluminum. I plan to make all the parts interchangeable so I can easily swap out another barrel or expansion chamber. I am also making it constant air so I don't have to change Co2 cartridges or pump it up all the time. I'm gonna configure it similar to this pic:

(Not to scale)
Barrel<Valve<Expansion Chamber<Air Source.

Now here's where I need advice... I am going to use a Steel HPA tank screwed into a regulator to bring the output pressure down to about 120 PSI straight into the expansion chamber. What would be a good way to go about doing this? I would like to keep it as compact as possible because it is going to be pretty long as is. I also plan to use a pressure release valve (not sure what the "official" name is) like a burst disk on Co2 tanks and a pressure gauge just to be on the safe side.

Any help and constructive criticism will be appreciated.
Welcome to the internet, where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI.
CarlJohnson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2008, 09:19 PM #2
Crimsonkid
pressure makes diamonds

Buy the Kobalt portable C02 compressor. It has an adjustable out put pressure from 10 to 120 psi. You can use you Steel tank too. It'll allow you to take some weigh off of your launcher since you can store your air sorce in your vest/pack. (http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2668738)

But if you want to keep the tank on the launcher use this (http://spudcom.com/store/product_inf...products_id=62)

And for your valve use this to attach your trigger mechanism instead off a home made one (http://spudcom.com/store/product_inf...products_id=34)

Your local hardware store should have all off the pvc and steel parts that you'll need. And FYI the threads on your tank are the same that every hardware store carries, so you don't need a "special adapter"
Crimsonkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:48 AM #3
socoj2

1. Never use C02 with PVC
2. ALWAYS use a Safety pop Valve. ITs $10 that can save yours or someone elses life.
Engineering Complex Solutions to simple problems.

2007 Skirmish Invasion of Normandy biggest Waste of Money in the world. OK D-day 2009 2nd Biggest waste of Monday in the world
socoj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:21 AM #4
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
More and more fields are restricting cannons with PVC pressure chambers no matter the rating. Check with your field to make sure you can even use the PVC. As for the pressure relief valve, you can pick one up at your local hardware store for the pressure you need. I would suggest going for 100 psi if your parts are rated for 150. I had problems trying to regulate down when building mine, so I put a bike pump on mine and build the pressure up for each shot. Of course, mine is mounted on a tank and I have the power to run the pump. Go off of spudtech for the exotic parts to make things easier to put together.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:25 PM #5
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

daniels you should know fields dont like pvc cannons by now. Plus they are not allowed at skirmish. use steel pipe like my mortar for the air chamber. 2 inch is fine. if its too heavy do this.

pick up launcher

lift over your head 20 times

repeat 3 times daily until you can carry it

hahahahha

1.SS Panzer Korps
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:47 PM #6
CarlJohnson3
Flexin' 9's since '91

No offense, but if you read my post I said that I am using PVC just as test to make sure I like the setup and then I can easily swap out the chamber for an aluminum one when I decide that the setup is what I like.

I have decide to run it off of my remote to my HPA tank because it was just too damn long with the tank on the end. I have a gauge and a pressure relief valve hooked up for safety. So far it works very well. I plan on swapping out the PVC chamber with an Aluminum one soon. I only tested it out at about 50 PSI for safety. I don't plan on using it for any games until I swap out the chamber.
Welcome to the internet, where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI.
CarlJohnson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:00 PM #7
socoj2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebski View Post
More and more fields are restricting cannons with PVC pressure chambers no matter the rating. Check with your field to make sure you can even use the PVC. As for the pressure relief valve, you can pick one up at your local hardware store for the pressure you need. I would suggest going for 100 psi if your parts are rated for 150. I had problems trying to regulate down when building mine, so I put a bike pump on mine and build the pressure up for each shot. Of course, mine is mounted on a tank and I have the power to run the pump. Go off of spudtech for the exotic parts to make things easier to put together.
More and more fields are under the delusion that Metal is some how inherently safer for some reason.

2007 Skirmish Invasion of Normandy biggest Waste of Money in the world. OK D-day 2009 2nd Biggest waste of Monday in the world
Old 07-16-2008, 04:24 PM #8
lukster14
"CupCake"

its not really the fields

its the insurance companies

if a field doesn't allow pvc construction, which does warp and break more easily after extended use than aluminum or steel, i bet they get a nice insurance premium cut
"Lemmaximus Giganticus" #999
I'm "cupcake" the 300 pound ghillie guy
"LOOK OUT, Its Sasquach... oh wait no, its just a fat guy in ghillie" ion 08
"Hmmm angry happy faces... is that supposed to be a contradiction or somthing???"
Proud owner of palmer superstocker PS137, and one of the 1 of 5 "happy" etec2's
and an 08 stars and striped ego
http://www.pbnation.com/feedbackdeta...34418&u=416763 feedback
lukster14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:13 AM #9
socoj2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukster14 View Post
its not really the fields

its the insurance companies

if a field doesn't allow pvc construction, which does warp and break more easily after extended use than aluminum or steel, i bet they get a nice insurance premium cut

Their insurance companies DO NOT know a single thing about AIR CANNONS being at scenario games.

If you manage to crack a PVC cannon while under pressure it is not going to grenade and cause shrapnel its just going to de-pressurize. As far as warping... Unless you are playing in > 180 degree weather, i doubt it.

Seriously there have been <10 accidents since 2000 that involved PVC pipe around the country. I know of 5, of the 5 i know of ZERO have been caused by stress in the PVC. ALL OF THEM have been caused by regulator failure and the builder not using standard safety measures.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:47 AM #10
lukster14
"CupCake"

Quote:
Originally Posted by socoj2 View Post
Their insurance companies DO NOT know a single thing about AIR CANNONS being at scenario games.

If you manage to crack a PVC cannon while under pressure it is not going to grenade and cause shrapnel its just going to de-pressurize. As far as warping... Unless you are playing in > 180 degree weather, i doubt it.

Seriously there have been <10 accidents since 2000 that involved PVC pipe around the country. I know of 5, of the 5 i know of ZERO have been caused by stress in the PVC. ALL OF THEM have been caused by regulator failure and the builder not using standard safety measures.
could u send some of that info to lukster14@hotmail.com
need ammo to talk to my local field
"Lemmaximus Giganticus" #999
I'm "cupcake" the 300 pound ghillie guy
"LOOK OUT, Its Sasquach... oh wait no, its just a fat guy in ghillie" ion 08
"Hmmm angry happy faces... is that supposed to be a contradiction or somthing???"
Proud owner of palmer superstocker PS137, and one of the 1 of 5 "happy" etec2's
and an 08 stars and striped ego
http://www.pbnation.com/feedbackdeta...34418&u=416763 feedback
lukster14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:00 AM #11
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by socoj2 View Post

I had a pvc chamber blow from my mortar fill station and ill tell you it was a grenade from hell! it was leaning against the wall of the tub in our hotel when it went off. if anyone was in the blast zone theyd be mauled. it put a hole in the ceiling.

Steel is the only way to go along with a safety pop off valve. i dont see steel grenading like pvc does.

NO PVC AIRCHAMBERS. If you do make one make sure you use a safety valve and keep the pressure low like 100 psi .The less the better

1.SS Panzer Korps
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:16 AM #12
JESTERTLS

Yes indeed. I was at a game in November 2006 in South Carolina, where a pvc air chamber blew and sent a guy to the hospital. Then there was also the one that blew earlier this year up in Virgina. That player didnt get hurt too bad, but he got cut up a bit.

People can say it dont happen all they want. I heard the blast from across the field and saw the guy after he got back from the ER.
JESTERTLS is offline   Reply With Quote