Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-02-2008, 11:34 PM #1
Maj Payne

Is the NROTC worth it?

Hey pbnation. I'm a senior in highchool and i just applied for the NROTC scholarship. My dad did it and I think I have a pretty good chance at getting in. I just don't know if I want to hold that commitment after college. My dad said it was really worth it since it paid for college and everything. Now he's a commander.

I just want to know from people that actually went through with the NROTC and what you thought about it. Was it worth it? Are you glad that you joined?
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2008, 12:14 AM #3
Maj Payne

haha my bad. thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 06:36 PM #4
xbreaka

has been a member for 10 years
If you get a 4 year NROTC scholarship, you will be going on navy "cruises" during your summers, they are pretty badass so don't feel bad about missing out on summer.

First summer - CONTRAMID, basically you go all over the place spending time in the various navy communities, Surface, Subs, Marines, Aviation(some even get some stick time)

Second Summer - You function as an enlisted sailor on either a surface ship or submarine.

Third Summer - By this time you will need to have pretty much made up your mind on what community you are interested in, and you can be in a junior officer slot on a surface ship, sub, or aviation squadron.