PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-03-2008, 12:06 AM #1
worldsend212
PM GWC #16

Stock Day Trading Question

Hello everyone, so i have a question about day trading.

I have been keeping a record trades that i would do on a peice of paper. One that i wrote down was CMIN and i bought it at $1.05 and sold it at $1.19. I bought 10,000 shares. It yielded a $1400 profit without fees taken out.

Now to my question is say i am day trading and a stock like CMIN which i bought for $1.05 went down to $0.95 in a day and i didnt end up selling it because it didnt go over my original price. Now what i was thinking is that i would wait another day to see if it would go up and if it did i would sell it.

Thinking like this i think i could minimize a lot of loses that could be made. Do you guys see any flaws in this plan because to me i think i would lose hardly any money at all if i played my cards like this.

What do you think...
worldsend212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2008, 12:23 AM #2
mulletstation

has been a member for 10 years
Yes this is a good idea
mulletstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:48 AM #3
berry_wendel
I WILL RULE YOU!!!

berry_wendel is playing at Living Legends III
berry_wendel owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
berry_wendel supports Team VICIOUS
berry_wendel is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsend212 View Post
Hello everyone, so i have a question about day trading.

I have been keeping a record trades that i would do on a peice of paper. One that i wrote down was CMIN and i bought it at $1.05 and sold it at $1.19. I bought 10,000 shares. It yielded a $1400 profit without fees taken out.

Now to my question is say i am day trading and a stock like CMIN which i bought for $1.05 went down to $0.95 in a day and i didnt end up selling it because it didnt go over my original price. Now what i was thinking is that i would wait another day to see if it would go up and if it did i would sell it.

Thinking like this i think i could minimize a lot of loses that could be made. Do you guys see any flaws in this plan because to me i think i would lose hardly any money at all if i played my cards like this.

What do you think...
Exactly. If you sell you lock in a loss. Some traders follow that on trades they believe will work. Other traders put stops on to also limit their loss, while they will lock in a loss, they avoid a bigger unrealized loss. These stops are put on positions that are small, so the loss isnt that big.
But remember, stocks do not always have to go up. So choose your stocks carefully and make sure you understand your investing time frame. if you feel this investment will take a long time do playout (ie this store is introducing this new product), dont be concerned about day to day moves. I couldnt tell you what prices my long positions are trading at right now
berry_wendel is offline   Reply With Quote