Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-27-2008, 09:57 PM #1
Fletian22

Enlisting vs. ROTC for law enforcement career

Hi guys, currently I am debating between the two in my post title. My ROTC application is done, and I am expected to be on the board at the end of this month, where they will decide if I get a 4 yr scholarship. I am currently a HS senior. Many have told me it would be wayy stupid to turn down a free 4 year ride, and that an education is always a plus.

I know I could enlist, I would try to get a 4 year 68W, I could do that stay in if I like, or leave and attempt to get on a department. Versus, doing ROTC getting a college degree in something, being an officer for 4 years and then possibly pursuing the same career path, at which point I would most likely be around 26 which to someone young like me seems almost to late to start a LE career.

I would be serving even if I didn't want to do LE, this is just the path I want to take after wards.
Fletian22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2008, 10:06 PM #2
JackH (Banned)

JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
Military service basically ensures a walk on to any law enforcement agency (local not feds) either way youre fine
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:10 PM #3
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
LMAO, Jack that might have been the case a while ago but it's been very different for a while now. I've been trying to get in with a 2 year degree for a while and NO police Dept. in my area will higher me even with an accredited academy, and 2 year degree.

You need a 4 year degree now. Also it does help having military service. If you want to use the military to help get the degree and do the 4-6 years as an officer then go for it.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
justavillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:57 PM #4
Fletian22

it just seems like a long as time to a young guy like me, 4 yrs college, atleast 4 as an officer. I have no idea what I'd do in college, and just enlisting seems like it would give me time to really figure out what I want to do.

On the other hand if what you said is right even with military, I might not be a shoe in at a police department.
Fletian22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:37 PM #5
icp1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackH View Post
Military service basically ensures a walk on to any law enforcement agency (local not feds) either way youre fine
As stated by avillan..that is not the case anymore. There was an SF guy retiring after 24yrs who got slobbered all over but even with my actual LE experience in the Coast Guard I have hardly been looked at by 3 departments. One has college requirments as stated above but they will wave half the credits for prior service but you have to get the rest within the first 5yrs on the dept. You can discount on office because they didn't like some things I did in my Acitve duty time....even though it was years ago.
icp1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:52 AM #6
travDMH
East Coast

travDMH is a Supporting Member
i was a police explorer for 3 years and now i am an afrotc cadet

if you wanna go federal, a college education is a must..i suggest you do what im doing and get an internship w. a federal law enforcement agency during a summer. you get a security clearance and if ur good they will offer you a job after college. so if ur main goal is law enforcement you might even be able to bypass the military if u get an internship and get offered a job
travDMH is offline   Reply With Quote