PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-29-2008, 01:07 PM #1
Profballer
I'm a rooster illusion

09 Slg

just got mine in the mail this morning... anything i need to know that the manual doesn't say?

i already have an olive proto on/off and an olive proto twist nob feedneck on it. plus my deadlywind of course. I'll have pics up later, but i don't have air and am at college so there's no place to shoot it for a video at the moment.
Profballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:27 PM #2
KMA

KMA is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
KMA supports DLX Technology
I'd suggest using blue loctite on the asa rail screws now, so it doesn't loosen up on you at the field. Seems like several people have complained about this.

Pics?
╚╝╚╩╩═╩╩╝╚
R&M Paintball - Headrush - BlackSheep
100% Positive Feedback
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:58 PM #3
Profballer
I'm a rooster illusion

thanks. my camera is with a friend right now who is using it for a project...soon
Old 10-30-2008, 10:20 AM #4
shadoflame
i can pump 30 bps, no AT.

shadoflame owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
my suggestion, dont dry fire it with barrel bag on or with anything blocking air flow that could lead to back pressure.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:18 AM #5
KMA

KMA is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoflame View Post
my suggestion, dont dry fire it with barrel bag on or with anything blocking air flow that could lead to back pressure.
Wow, it would be a real shame if the back pressure from a barrel bag was enough to cause bolt problems... heck, a paintball probably creates more back pressure than that, and you'd think the barrel's porting would be enough to alleviate any significant pressure. If the bolts are breaking under these conditions, then it is not user error but a bad design and should be fixed by Dye.
╚╝╚╩╩═╩╩╝╚
100% Positive Feedback
Old 10-30-2008, 12:23 PM #6
shadoflame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
Wow, it would be a real shame if the back pressure from a barrel bag was enough to cause bolt problems... heck, a paintball probably creates more back pressure than that, and you'd think the barrel's porting would be enough to alleviate any significant pressure. If the bolts are breaking under these conditions, then it is not user error but a bad design and should be fixed by Dye.
well, i played a whole day with my SLG before it had any problems. the bolt tip broke off when i dry fired an entire tank while having a blanket to muffle the noise( i was back at my apartment). i then found the bolt tip to be broken after i took it apart to relube...
Old 10-30-2008, 09:17 PM #7
iiamkevin091

Quote:
well, i played a whole day with my SLG before it had any problems. the bolt tip broke off when i dry fired an entire tank while having a blanket to muffle the noise( i was back at my apartment). i then found the bolt tip to be broken after i took it apart to relube...
dry firing is just never good for any marker... lol

your fault?

iiamkevin091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:44 PM #8
shadoflame

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiamkevin091 View Post

your fault?
yes and no. the bolt tip should be strong enough to withstand expanded pressure. a blanket does not form a complete seal, it just inhibits air flow. me drying firing an entire tank under constricted air flow caused the flawed bolt to break, but it was not me who made the bolt flawed. it's the damn taiwanese factories that screw things up.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:58 PM #9
iiamkevin091

Quote:
yes and no. the bolt tip should be strong enough to withstand expanded pressure. a blanket does not form a complete seal, it just inhibits air flow. me drying firing an entire tank under constricted air flow caused the flawed bolt to break, but it was not me who made the bolt flawed. it's the damn taiwanese factories that screw things up.
lol heyhey lets not start bashing chinese people

lets face it. lets blame big business for outsourcing in the first place

i wag my finger at dye

my board needs to be reflashed straight from the box....

iiamkevin091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:57 AM #10
Profballer
I'm a rooster illusion

that sucks brother. i hope i don't have any problems when I air this thing up tomorrow. i'll put up pics in the picture thread tomorrow
Old 10-31-2008, 06:43 AM #11
KMA

KMA is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiamkevin091 View Post

your fault?
Yes, dry firing too much can be bad... maybe the marker's detents wear out or the bolt gets scuffed up, but they shouldn't be breaking under any normal circumstances. In other words, if a pillow or blanket were used to quietly dry fire almost any other marker, no one would expect the bolt to snap. It is a bad design and/or material, and by the number of posts here I'm thinking it's more than the 1/10000 number someone quoted a Dye rep saying.
╚╝╚╩╩═╩╩╝╚
100% Positive Feedback
Old 10-31-2008, 11:24 AM #12
shadoflame

kinda off topic, but dye markers are made in the US and Protos are made overseas, right?