Old 10-17-2008, 07:09 PM #1
wslysol
I am the one who knocks

wslysol is playing at Living Legends III
wslysol is playing at Living Legends V
wslysol is reppin' sidebar 4 life
wslysol is attending Decay of Nations VI
Looking to get into the market for the first time

Hey guys, I've been browsing ST:I for a little bit now to pick up some information about the whole investing realm and I think I want to start investing some money. Now I don't know a lot about it all but I do understand the general gist of things. Right now I'm only 16 so I don't have much money to start out with but I'm really not using it so I might as well invest it and earn something on top of it and also learn new things about how the market works along the way. Over all I think this is more of a learning experience than anything so I want to make this profitable. I have around 1k to invest and I'm trying to figure out the best place to put it. I've seen some talk on here about AAPL and I have been doing some research about it. From what I've read people tend to think that this is a good buy. Is it in your opinions? Are there other ones to look out for? Now I have sat down breifly with a financial advisor and he suggested to buy an iShares ETF because of the low fees and its a little safer from what I understand. So what are your guys thoughts on this? I am really undecided on this whole issue so any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot
wslysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2008, 12:01 PM #2
berry_wendel
I WILL RULE YOU!!!

berry_wendel is playing at Living Legends III
berry_wendel owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
berry_wendel supports Team VICIOUS
berry_wendel is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by wslysol View Post
Hey guys, I've been browsing ST:I for a little bit now to pick up some information about the whole investing realm and I think I want to start investing some money. Now I don't know a lot about it all but I do understand the general gist of things. Right now I'm only 16 so I don't have much money to start out with but I'm really not using it so I might as well invest it and earn something on top of it and also learn new things about how the market works along the way. Over all I think this is more of a learning experience than anything so I want to make this profitable. I have around 1k to invest and I'm trying to figure out the best place to put it. I've seen some talk on here about AAPL and I have been doing some research about it. From what I've read people tend to think that this is a good buy. Is it in your opinions? Are there other ones to look out for? Now I have sat down breifly with a financial advisor and he suggested to buy an iShares ETF because of the low fees and its a little safer from what I understand. So what are your guys thoughts on this? I am really undecided on this whole issue so any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot
Ur viewpoint of wanting to make ur money work for you instead of blowing is a good viewpoint. Warren Buffet viewed every penny as the possibility to grow into 10 pennies.
The economy is in for a prolonged recession. Every one will need to cut back as income for families fall. You are 16 and reaching a point in your life, college or work, where you will have to go into the real world and start making money. This is all on the assumption that your family is a regular american family, but I feel that you may need that money in 2-3 years to help pay debt and live. I know for myself as a college kid I find that there is no way besides debt to pay for college and to live right now, even with working.
So you may not need the money now, but I predict in a few years you will need it. An etf may be a good choice, the right one, depending on how you think the market will do. will that etf return more over say 2 years, than a CD? While the CD isn't as liquid, you know how much it will pay out, and the illiquidity isnt that much of an issue as you can choose different terms.
berry_wendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:51 PM #3
BigMack
playground

BigMack is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by berry_wendel View Post
Ur viewpoint of wanting to make ur money work for you instead of blowing is a good viewpoint. Warren Buffet viewed every penny as the possibility to grow into 10 pennies.
The economy is in for a prolonged recession. Every one will need to cut back as income for families fall. You are 16 and reaching a point in your life, college or work, where you will have to go into the real world and start making money. This is all on the assumption that your family is a regular american family, but I feel that you may need that money in 2-3 years to help pay debt and live. I know for myself as a college kid I find that there is no way besides debt to pay for college and to live right now, even with working.
So you may not need the money now, but I predict in a few years you will need it. An etf may be a good choice, the right one, depending on how you think the market will do. will that etf return more over say 2 years, than a CD? While the CD isn't as liquid, you know how much it will pay out, and the illiquidity isnt that much of an issue as you can choose different terms.
Good advice.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:52 PM #4
caliro121
Rocking a Little Know-How

has been a member for 10 years
Average into an ETF, weekly or monthly. You're sixteen, you have plenty of time. Please don't dump it into only one stock, it's not smart.

UMiami
caliro121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:58 AM #5
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
right now DONT invest in the stock market youll just get screwed trust me...
PMR Frame/Board F/s
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote