PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-22-2008, 02:36 PM #1
Redkiller
Purple Lightsaber

has been a member for 10 years
Biggest choice of my life. Joining the marines?

-This is gunna be a long one I just need to say everything just because this is so big for me, so I hope you can read all of it.--
Anyways this is a completely serious issue for me and I am asking anyone in the military, mainly the marines for some help. Here's some background about myself:
My name is Jeremy, I just turned 19. I never was any good in high school, always barely got by. All I could get into really was a community college which I am in right now as a freshmen. I've had part time jobs for the past few years, mainly with my dad and the random seasonal job. I worked all summer to pay for half a year of my tuition, my parents are not rich, or close to it so they really couldn't help me too much, but I appreciate any help they've given me so far. So anyways, I've always wanted to be a police officer. To help people, protect and serve. You know the jist of how that one goes. I'm no Einstein and so I haven't been doing so good so far. I do good in my Criminal Justice class, but that's because it interests me, I can stay awake. It's not like I cant get by and graduate, I know I can but yeah that's how that ones gone so far. Not so much motivation.
Senior year of high school I talked to a marine recruiter in private. He kinda got me interested a little bit in the marines. But I never have wanted to leave everyone behind, not to mention my friends who I'm very close with and my girlfriend of almost two years now. But anyways I really have been considering the marines lately. Very heavily a matter of fact. I really want to do something to help better myself and make me stronger as a person physically and mentally all the while helping people and doing something good. Not to mention it looks awesome on a resume for police officer if you have military experience. But yeah, I have two uncles who were in the marines, one just got back from duty not too long ago and my grampa was in the army. Besides them Im pretty sure everyone else would disapprove of me enlisting. That's not really my thing too much, I would be a little emotional for a while but I imagine bootcamp would whip me pretty good and keep my mind occupied.
I look at my life right now and see a mediocre ****ty cop job in my future and being just bored. I want to also find a way to prove myself as a person and be able to say something about myself to my grand children one day. Being on duty and the risk of being killed isn't a factor to me too much, I know I'd be scared ****less sometimes but thats something I would have to man up to, so this upcoming election and whatnot wouldn't be a deciding factor at all in my enlisting. I at least half realize the **** I would half to go through and I am/will prepare myself as much as possible. Holding me back is my comfort in my surroundings and how close I am to my friends and family right now.
Mainly I want to join the Marines, everyone say's they are the most elite fighting force and everything I have seen about it just excites me and really gets me pumped to join. I just want to know from any current Marines how you went about with, and dealt with family and enlisting and just anything you can sure about marine life and how it has helped you. Thanks for your time and I appreciate anyone who has anything good to say. Thank you.

tl;dr
Wanna join the marines, kinda indecisive but really wanna join
Any marines out there with suggestions/help would be awesome, thanks

http://www.skammich.com/crab.html

USMC Unlimited **** and Mass Confusion

"Originally posted by DayoftheGreek: No self respecting pirates would "hip hop.""

Last edited by Redkiller : 10-23-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Redkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2008, 03:25 PM #2
tavery1

My brother recently graduated from Marine basic. He said he hated every minute of boot but joining was the best thing he's ever done. He was pretty much in your situation smart not a great student, got bored with it. Whatever you do good luck
Old 10-22-2008, 04:11 PM #3
Redkiller
Purple Lightsaber

Ah, thanks alot then

"Originally posted by DayoftheGreek: No self respecting pirates would "hip hop.""
Old 10-22-2008, 05:01 PM #4
xxxarsonist
Tommy Noble

If you do join, drop your osbession with cock/balls.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:38 PM #5
Redkiller
Purple Lightsaber

yeah, that was another thing holding me back

Old 10-22-2008, 07:41 PM #6
bigpurpcron

when you get in you will hear nothing but gay jokes in boot. whateveryou do, let it be infantry/rifleman.
bigpurpcron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:55 PM #7
Keith0147

im about same position as u but im 17 and a senior in highschool. my parents are middle class and im ok at school but im with you man i want to man up and prove myself and be apart of the most elite fighting force inthe world. but on the other hand i want those party years in college.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:29 PM #8
iamaparanoidperson

The Marine Corps is a love/hate thing. you love being a Marine but sometimes you are going to HATE what you have to do to be a Marine.

I will answer your questions honestly...if you want to pm me please do so. I wish someone would have been strait up with me when i joined. I want you to know EXACTLY what to expect.
iamaparanoidperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:46 PM #9
Cheers!
Custom User Title

Cheers! supports Sherwood Forest
Cheers! is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Anyone ive ever talked to said it was the single hardest, most rewarding thing theyve ever done.

Theres a quote that really made me want to join, i believe Ronald Reagan said it-
"At the end of ones life, they always question if they made a difference. If they made a difference in the world, if they made it a better place. Marines dont have that problem."

Love that quote.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:59 PM #10
solrflare

Annual Supporting Member
solrflare is a Supporting Member
solrflare donated to help Peyton Trent
Most overrused quote, ever.

There are like 100 other Marine quotes that I can think of that are so much more inspiring than that (love the dude like a brother, great President, but why use that when you have Chesty's word)?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson
The AR is like a prom queen. The AK is like a biker chick. Treat both accordingly.
solrflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:08 PM #11
iamaparanoidperson

favorite quote:

"I come in peace, I did not bring artillery. But i am pleading with you with tears in my eyes, If you **** with me I will kill you all"
Marine General James Mattis
iamaparanoidperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:14 PM #12
Model16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith0147 View Post
im about same position as u but im 17 and a senior in highschool. my parents are middle class and im ok at school but im with you man i want to man up and prove myself and be apart of the most elite fighting force inthe world. but on the other hand i want those party years in college.

Join the Marines, or party in college?

If partying in college is what would prevent you from joining the marines, then it's most likely not for you.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:16 PM #13
JackH (Banned)

JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model16 View Post
Join the Marines, or party in college?

If partying in college is what would prevent you from joining the marines, then it's most likely not for you.
And it's not like Marines dont party....
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:18 PM #14
Model16

EDIT: oops lol
Old 10-23-2008, 09:32 PM #15
theubernoob
phx to nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redkiller View Post
-This is gunna be a long one I just need to say everything just because this is so big for me, so I hope you can read all of it.--
Anyways this is a completely serious issue for me and I am asking anyone in the military, mainly the marines for some help. Here's some background about myself:
My name is Jeremy, I just turned 19. I never was any good in high school, always barely got by. All I could get into really was a community college which I am in right now as a freshmen. I've had part time jobs for the past few years, mainly with my dad and the random seasonal job. I worked all summer to pay for half a year of my tuition, my parents are not rich, or close to it so they really couldn't help me too much, but I appreciate any help they've given me so far. So anyways, I've always wanted to be a police officer. To help people, protect and serve. You know the jist of how that one goes. I'm no Einstein and so I haven't been doing so good so far. I do good in my Criminal Justice class, but that's because it interests me, I can stay awake. It's not like I cant get by and graduate, I know I can but yeah that's how that ones gone so far. Not so much motivation.
Senior year of high school I talked to a marine recruiter in private. He kinda got me interested a little bit in the marines. But I never have wanted to leave everyone behind, not to mention my friends who I'm very close with and my girlfriend of almost two years now. But anyways I really have been considering the marines lately. Very heavily a matter of fact. I really want to do something to help better myself and make me stronger as a person physically and mentally all the while helping people and doing something good. Not to mention it looks awesome on a resume for police officer if you have military experience. But yeah, I have two uncles who were in the marines, one just got back from duty not too long ago and my grampa was in the army. Besides them Im pretty sure everyone else would disapprove of me enlisting. That's not really my thing too much, I would be a little emotional for a while but I imagine bootcamp would whip me pretty good and keep my mind occupied.
I look at my life right now and see a mediocre ****ty cop job in my future and being just bored. I want to also find a way to prove myself as a person and be able to say something about myself to my grand children one day. Being on duty and the risk of being killed isn't a factor to me too much, I know I'd be scared ****less sometimes but thats something I would have to man up to, so this upcoming election and whatnot wouldn't be a deciding factor at all in my enlisting. I at least half realize the **** I would half to go through and I am/will prepare myself as much as possible. Holding me back is my comfort in my surroundings and how close I am to my friends and family right now.
Mainly I want to join the Marines, everyone say's they are the most elite fighting force and everything I have seen about it just excites me and really gets me pumped to join. I just want to know from any current Marines how you went about with, and dealt with family and enlisting and just anything you can sure about marine life and how it has helped you. Thanks for your time and I appreciate anyone who has anything good to say. Thank you.

tl;dr
Wanna join the marines, kinda indecisive but really wanna join
Any marines out there with suggestions/help would be awesome, thanks
see bolded.

those are the things you really have to consider. yes, you'll probably hate it, but it will be a great experience and you'll most likely be glad you did it. is it worth sacrificing the time with your friends, family, and girlfriend to make yourself better? me and my gf of a year broke it off because i came to this academy. i'm happy with what i've learned and how much stronger i am as a person, but if i could go back two and a half years ago, i don't know if i would still choose to lose her. i'm not saying that everyone breaks up, but its a strong possibility, even if she says shes ok with it. a lot of guys get the dear john letter the first few weeks. its all about what you're willing to give up.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:00 AM #16
Redkiller
Purple Lightsaber

Well, i've already come to terms with breaking up with my girlfriend. Long story short we'd both stay friends and all would be ok, maybe come back from everything and get back together, but yeah.