Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2008, 10:37 AM #22
t_mo (Banned)
 
t_mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Boston
 has been a member for 10 years
It still sounds like you could be setting yourself up for a world of hurt...

But who am I? Do whatever you want, take 30k and put it on black!
t_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2008, 11:15 AM #23
Labelskate
 
 
Labelskate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Labelskate is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
buy gold.

it is supposed to be $2000/ounce in a year from now. Right now I believe it is about 1k an ounce.

It has been increasing 20% a year since 2001.
__________________
OG
1up Kids
Labelskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:16 PM #24
PBbackagain
 
 
PBbackagain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
stocks..
PBbackagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:56 PM #25
morreo
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labelskate View Post
buy gold.

it is supposed to be $2000/ounce in a year from now. Right now I believe it is about 1k an ounce.

It has been increasing 20% a year since 2001.
Wow, do not listen to this guy. Labelskate, do you even know what effects the price of gold? Do you even know that the drying up of credit will cause massive deflation which will hurt the price of commodities? It is pure IGNORANCE to say that gold "is supposed to be $2000/ounce in a year from now". You say that with absolutely nothing supporting you.

That's like saying in 2000, "Buy tech stocks because it is supposed to be thrice from where it is now next month. It has been increasing over a hundred percent through '99.

Besides gold is trading over 25% from $1000 so no, it's not trading at $1000.

Can people please not on post on pure ignorance. This guy is making a very serious decision.
__________________
stfu already

Last edited by morreo : 10-18-2008 at 06:06 PM.
morreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:59 PM #26
DOPE
 
 
DOPE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Right behind you
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by morreo View Post
It is not smart to enter the market on borrowed money.


Then you are just borrowing money to buy something that you need to borrow more money on. How the hell do you think we got into this mess that we call the economy? Plus you won't get rent that is more than the mortgage
true dat.

... buy gold.
__________________
Wipe yourself off_ you're out.

America 1776-2008 We had a good run[/font]
FEEDBACK:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1143673
DOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:51 AM #27
Nocturnal Terror
 
 
Nocturnal Terror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by morreo View Post
It is not smart to enter the market on borrowed money.

I DO agree that CD's and preferred stocks are fine investments.

If you want to enter the market no matter what, then you MUST hedge your investment. You MUST write off covered calls against any and all shares you buy or you MUST buy puts. Both of these hedging strategies still give a good amount of risk so in my opinion, preferred stocks are your best option.

As for buying a house and renting it off, I disagree on that too. Then you are just borrowing money to buy something that you need to borrow more money on. How the hell do you think we got into this mess that we call the economy? Plus you won't get rent that is more than the mortgage, hence you will be paying more money out of your pocket and you may not be able to sell the home when your loan is due. (YES THAT'S A HUGE RISK!)
QFT
Nocturnal Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:46 PM #28
theubernoob
phx to nyc
 
theubernoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: AZ and nyc
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labelskate View Post
buy gold.

it is supposed to be $2000/ounce in a year from now. Right now I believe it is about 1k an ounce.

It has been increasing 20% a year since 2001.
i'm never going to buy gold.

i guess i'll look into these preferred stocks. i've heard of them but i'm not well educated on them.

and i'm not thinking of the money as borrowed money, i'm thinking of it as ahead start money. so i'm not doing these things with money that isn't mine, its just i'm getting a chance to do things earlier than i would out of school
__________________
K∏ΣPBalumni
theubernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:56 PM #29
DOPE
 
 
DOPE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Right behind you
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theubernoob View Post
i'm never going to buy gold.
and i'm not thinking of the money as borrowed money, i'm thinking of it as ahead start money.
think of it anyway you want- it's still borrowed money.

what about foreign currency? know any countries on the rise?
__________________
Wipe yourself off_ you're out.

America 1776-2008 We had a good run[/font]
FEEDBACK:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1143673
DOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:52 PM #30
caliro121
Rocking a Little Know-How
 
caliro121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Brickell
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOPE View Post
think of it anyway you want- it's still borrowed money.

what about foreign currency? know any countries on the rise?
I hear Iceland is in a new bull market.
__________________
Nothing Recedes Like Success

UMiami
caliro121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:13 PM #31
berry_wendel
I WILL RULE YOU!!!
 
berry_wendel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
berry_wendel is playing at Living Legends III
berry_wendel owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
berry_wendel supports Team VICIOUS
berry_wendel is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by theubernoob View Post
i'm never going to buy gold.

i guess i'll look into these preferred stocks. i've heard of them but i'm not well educated on them.

and i'm not thinking of the money as borrowed money, i'm thinking of it as ahead start money. so i'm not doing these things with money that isn't mine, its just i'm getting a chance to do things earlier than i would out of school
People need to change their viewpoint about debt and credit. Yes, sometimes it is necessary and useful. But people have not been thinking about the risks.
You seem to have no financial knowledge, let alone knowledge about investing.
Use that money for which is meant for. That would be moving to a new place, getting an apartment, finding a job and a sensible car.
berry_wendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:38 PM #32
Scootscr15
Pay attention boy
 
Scootscr15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indiana
 has been a member for 10 years
Go to vegas and put it all on red. If you win, bank!

Its been done

__________________
www.blastcamp.com
Scootscr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:23 PM #33
pimp3leet
FeartheBeard
 
pimp3leet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Four Zero Five
I bet he got soooo ****ed up later that night.
__________________

15
653, 372, 68
pimp3leet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:57 PM #34
mulletstation
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
You should probably get some credit cards too and take cash out on those.
__________________
FuriousGeorge: "You seem to have this Freudian view that if you put an ad on television, it somehow influences their priorities greatly enough so that they go out and buy the product."

justinwb: "Thats great.......I dont really care what you think, you arent part of my target audience. My target audience would be someone with an IQ over 120." http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8254/outx.jpg
mulletstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:17 AM #35
flipflapjack13
GWC #31
 
flipflapjack13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Canada
I would recommend something safe right now because you would be essentially be making from just holding someone elses money lol. Plus,it's way too risky right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp3leet View Post
I bet he got soooo ****ed up later that night.
And if he didn't win, he would've committed suicide
__________________
flipflapjack13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:40 AM #36
Stupid2k5ers
 
 
Stupid2k5ers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calin View Post
There are no riskless investments.
What about T-Bills?

__________________
"Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes."

-Ephesians 6:11
Stupid2k5ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:38 AM #37
theubernoob
phx to nyc
 
theubernoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: AZ and nyc
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by berry_wendel View Post
People need to change their viewpoint about debt and credit. Yes, sometimes it is necessary and useful. But people have not been thinking about the risks.
You seem to have no financial knowledge, let alone knowledge about investing.
Use that money for which is meant for. That would be moving to a new place, getting an apartment, finding a job and a sensible car.
I can't see stocks falling much further. Everybody is flipping out about how bad the economy is and everything. Yes, we're in a downturn and a whole market got ****ed, but in the big picture we're doing alright. **** like this has to happen. The stock market can't go up and up forever. It has to be reset so why not buy when it's reset? Why wait for it to look good to buy? Isn't that the worst time to buy? It just seems like people only buy when the market looks good and sell when the market looks bad, I think it should be the other way around.

I'm definitely gonna look into buying a house and a cheap car, but why not take advantage of this market.....
__________________
K∏ΣPBalumni
theubernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:57 AM #38
Calin
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Santa Cruz
Calin is a Moderator
Calin is a Supporting Member
Calin donated to help Peyton Trent
Calin supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid2k5ers View Post
What about T-Bills?

That is the only part of my post you read? Yes US Treasury bonds are suppose to be the most riskless investment you can find. People are questioning it, but I beleive that no matter what if the US can't actually make good on bonds it will go ahead and turn on the printing press to avoid losing its riskless status.

With that said to clarify myself. There are still no riskless investments outside of US Treasury Bonds.
Calin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:59 AM #39
morreo
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by theubernoob View Post
I can't see stocks falling much further. Everybody is flipping out about how bad the economy is and everything. Yes, we're in a downturn and a whole market got ****ed, but in the big picture we're doing alright. **** like this has to happen. The stock market can't go up and up forever. It has to be reset so why not buy when it's reset? Why wait for it to look good to buy? Isn't that the worst time to buy? It just seems like people only buy when the market looks good and sell when the market looks bad, I think it should be the other way around.

I'm definitely gonna look into buying a house and a cheap car, but why not take advantage of this market.....
Because it's on borrowed money.

Look, I agree that we are at the bottom and I truly believe we will NEVER see these prices in the DOW again, but that doesn't make me go take as many loans out as I can to put it in the market. It doesn't matter what I know and it doesn't matter how often I am correct. The fact of the matter is, any financial expert will say that is a horrible decision.
__________________
stfu already
morreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:47 AM #40
Stupid2k5ers
 
 
Stupid2k5ers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calin View Post
That is the only part of my post you read? Yes US Treasury bonds are suppose to be the most riskless investment you can find. People are questioning it, but I beleive that no matter what if the US can't actually make good on bonds it will go ahead and turn on the printing press to avoid losing its riskless status.

With that said to clarify myself. There are still no riskless investments outside of US Treasury Bonds.
My apologies, I was just being a sarcastic *******. Everything else you said is 100% spot on.
__________________
"Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes."

-Ephesians 6:11
Stupid2k5ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:54 AM #41
pimp3leet
FeartheBeard
 
pimp3leet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Four Zero Five
Just do it dude.
__________________

15
653, 372, 68
pimp3leet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:32 PM #42
GenericFactoryTeam28
I only post GSD
 
GenericFactoryTeam28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NO*MA
I think if you are so confident you want to invest it, then you should just do it. I am not sure why you are coming to ST:I to rationalize your decision...investing is a personal choice and if you think that you want to invest by taking out loans by all means go ahead and do it. Just don't say others didn't try to warn you.
GenericFactoryTeam28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump