Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-14-2008, 02:04 PM #43
WorrGamR2k1
Earns Money Sleeping

has been a member for 10 years
WorrGamR2k1 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
WorrGamR2k1 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I run less when I work out as well. I only ran 2 miles yesterday, but i'll run 5.5 today.
WorrGamR2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2008, 03:17 PM #44
autococker06
zamboni eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
me or pbmink? Just so you guys know, When Pbmink was in 14:53 5k shape, he could have gone faster than 4:39.
pbmink.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:48 PM #45
Cheap
Zesty

Humidity is the worst when running. I only did 5 miles today but it really kicked my butt and it took me forever to cool down afterward. Running is so much nicer when it's cool/cold outside.

That's what I get for going to college in the South
Cheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:29 PM #46
WorrGamR2k1
Earns Money Sleeping

I did 5 miles today as well. Mainly because I did squats and leg press and such yesterday. I'm now sitting on my couch with no plans of moving until work tomorrow at 6AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:33 PM #47
autococker06
zamboni eh

I don't really do a ton of distance anymore. I'm really getting into HIIT on a treadmill. Its nice.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:15 PM #48
2term8r
Free Baller

I just started running again after a 5-6 years. I've ran for about 25minutes for the last 2 days and today on the 3rd day it seemed SO much easier.

I run on a trail that is inclined about half the run, fairly steep. About 100ft of downed logs that I must jump, skip, and balance on towards the end of the incline so its a real challenge.

Now I'm paranoid as F*CK that bow hunting started on Monday and bright clothing doesn't do much in the foliage around here.

What are the advantages of running incline on a daily basis? I can't wait to feel how it is on the ski slopes this year now that I'm actually in shape!

Old 10-14-2008, 09:02 PM #49
lightrick
just a trick of light

I run 5 days a week about 6-7 miles at a 6:00/mile pace; I can top out at probably 5:00 but my overall time would certainly suffer. Nothing super impressive but it keeps me in shape. And yes, I run for fun and am not affiliated with any team or club.

Edit:

Your 5k track time in killer! Nice!

288 confirmed kills.
I heard before they hit you, you hear the screams of a thousand kangaroos.
The Iraqi's fearfully call them "the butchering dingos"."

"Originally posted by Seatbelts: god lightrick is the man i aspire to be."

Last edited by lightrick : 10-14-2008 at 11:26 PM.
lightrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:15 PM #50
worldsend212
PM GWC #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmink View Post
i run and figured why not piss of V some more by making a legit thread

ask training and form work and all that legit stuff

might as well start with some info on myself

400-62
800-2:10
mile-4:39(full mile not 1600)
2 mile-9:32 (again full 2 mile)
5k track-14:53
5k road-15:14
5k xc-16:06 (woodward park)
mt sac 5k-16:01
4milexc-20:11

height-6'4
weight-140
shoe size 13

currently wearing nike skylons and mizuno alchemies
weartesting- nike mutumbo flats
ur times arent that bad...im a sophmore in highschool and run a 4:14 mile...i hate runnng anything longer than that. i run in nike track spikes with 1/4 inch pyramids.
worldsend212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:26 PM #51
lightrick
just a trick of light

All you kids running sub 5 miles these days. Yikes.

288 confirmed kills.
I heard before they hit you, you hear the screams of a thousand kangaroos.
The Iraqi's fearfully call them "the butchering dingos"."

"Originally posted by Seatbelts: god lightrick is the man i aspire to be."
lightrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:10 AM #52
pbmink (Banned)

pbmink is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_karl View Post
really? thats good to hear. i havnt been keeping up with XC since i was on the team. hows DO doing?
ok, wee likley not going to states this year and havent had a good season since i graduated

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorrGamR2k1 View Post
Hell no. I loves my treadmill and my CNN. I'll probably soon be switching to bicycling for cardio though, as my knees got royally ****ed when I road BMX and MX. Since I just started last Wednesday running again, i've logged in about 23 miles. Not great, but a hell of a lot considering the last time I was in a gym was last December. I've been running an extra 1/2 mile every day.

The first day I ran 2 miles, walked a 1/4 mile, then ran another mile and a 1/4.
2nd day I did 2.5 miles, walked a quarter mile, then ran another 1.25 miles.
3rd day was 3 miles, walked a quarter mile, then the other 1.25 miles.
And so on and so forth. Dunno if it's the best routine, but it seems to be working. I'm going to try to work up to a 10 mile run and then work on time.
your bumping you milage up to quickly. itll destroy your joints. i say never do more then 5% of increse a week in your milage to keep injuries down

Quote:
Originally Posted by autococker06 View Post
I don't really do a ton of distance anymore. I'm really getting into HIIT on a treadmill. Its nice.
interval training wont give you nearly the gains running 4 miles will with some 200's twice a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2term8r View Post
I just started running again after a 5-6 years. I've ran for about 25minutes for the last 2 days and today on the 3rd day it seemed SO much easier.

I run on a trail that is inclined about half the run, fairly steep. About 100ft of downed logs that I must jump, skip, and balance on towards the end of the incline so its a real challenge.

Now I'm paranoid as F*CK that bow hunting started on Monday and bright clothing doesn't do much in the foliage around here.

What are the advantages of running incline on a daily basis? I can't wait to feel how it is on the ski slopes this year now that I'm actually in shape!

how inclined? it can promote hamstring strength and also balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsend212 View Post
ur times arent that bad...im a sophmore in highschool and run a 4:14 mile...i hate runnng anything longer than that. i run in nike track spikes with 1/4 inch pyramids.
very nice mr ross

fake edit, your not mr nick ross so stop the shennagins 516=/= rhode island

real edit, i shouldent have been such a dick. upon using the facilities i relized that the 5 is right next to the 4 and you more then likly just happned to press the wrong key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrick View Post
All you kids running sub 5 miles these days. Yikes.
its generally considered a necessity to be competative. to be even considered

Last edited by pbmink : 10-15-2008 at 02:16 AM.
pbmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:39 AM #53
flarkey25
Raging Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmink View Post

interval training wont give you nearly the gains running 4 miles will with some 200's twice a week

What do you mean by gains?
flarkey25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:02 AM #54
njdevils55

njdevils55 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
whooaaaa 8:04 mile here. hope to get it down around 7ish.

Rip Donlon.
Chronic 08 Ego, 1/30
njdevils55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:02 PM #55
pbmink (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarkey25 View Post
What do you mean by gains?
speed/muscle defination and growth/endurance
Old 10-15-2008, 03:16 PM #56
flarkey25
Raging Weasel

Muscle definition and endurance I can agree with you on... But growth and speed? Maybe if by speed you mean how quick they run miles and whatnot, but that is more a result of endurance than speed. Growth I'm 100% no on... Anything aerobic, which anything over a few seconds definately is, starts to train slow-twitch fibers which are notorious for not growing. There may be a very slight gain in mass, but sprinting/short intervals will win out in this one every time.
flarkey25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:46 PM #57
Afroninjaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaformer2k6aaaaaaaaa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils55 View Post
whooaaaa 8:04 mile here. hope to get it down around 7ish.
Do you not run competitively or are you in your earlier teens? I don't want that to sound jackass-ish, but compared to most of these guys your time is a little lacking.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:11 PM #58
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
maybe if you are measuring speed in the mile, but if you are measuring it for sprinting like most people, I don't think running 4 miles will do very much.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)
ST:A - We pass school busses at 140

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Featherlite 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:21 PM #59
pbmink (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarkey25 View Post
Muscle definition and endurance I can agree with you on... But growth and speed? Maybe if by speed you mean how quick they run miles and whatnot, but that is more a result of endurance than speed. Growth I'm 100% no on... Anything aerobic, which anything over a few seconds definately is, starts to train slow-twitch fibers which are notorious for not growing. There may be a very slight gain in mass, but sprinting/short intervals will win out in this one every time.
slow twitch muscle fiber grows. it just grows slower and dosent give the eye popping mass that weights do. its the difference in lean muscle and normal muscle. as for saying anything over a few secons is aerobic i have to disagree with you on. im only saying this because i passed out in a 5k from anarobic seizure. anarobic muscle mass builds when the muscles dont have as much oxygen as they need to properly function and the atp cycle produces latic acid. the 200 is a much more anarobically challengeing workout then the 100 because it take time for your muscles to run out of stored air within them.

that right there is the biggest problem i have with the majority of people that use HIIT. they minimilize the recovery in order to stay at a constant anarobic state which isnt good. your heart needs to relax after the work. running 200's and 400's will get someone in much better shape quicker then running 50's and hundreds. and as a plus itll drop weight quicker which i do belive is the main reason the majority of you use HIIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlite 07 View Post
maybe if you are measuring speed in the mile, but if you are measuring it for sprinting like most people, I don't think running 4 miles will do very much.
im confused by what you were getting at in this post?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:32 PM #60
WorrGamR2k1
Earns Money Sleeping

Pbmink; I've decided to hold off on actual lifting and try to get my endurance back for the next 3 weeks. I'll probably stop adding mileage tomorrow, when i'm running 6 miles. Any pointers on how to get more endurance over a 3-week period? I have all the time in the world, I work 4 10 hr. days.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:48 PM #61
skydiver101 (Banned)

i run 3-4 miles every mon wed and fri and have been for a long time.lately tho after a couple miles the muscle on the front of my leg,by my shin,starts burning really bad and tenses up.anyone know why its doing this?ive never really had this kinda problem
skydiver101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:50 PM #62
WorrGamR2k1
Earns Money Sleeping

Shin splints. I used to have them back in high school. Put your foot against something solid, like a post, pointing as far upwards as possible and stretch into the pole.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:52 PM #63
skydiver101 (Banned)

you mean like pointing your toes up towards your knees?sorry,im really tired right now lol
skydiver101 is offline   Reply With Quote