kai83 is a Mega Moderator
kai83 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
kai83 is BST Legit
kai83 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
kai83 is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0 Negr0 View Post
Maybe because putting on muscle doesn't magically burn fat? Sure it will make you look like you have less fat but its not actually going to lower your percentage.
Actually it does, but it’s not magic...

Increasing muscle mass increases you basal metabolism

For every pound of muscle you add, you burn ~50 more calories a day at rest
kai83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:40 PM #45
enviousjohn

enviousjohn owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
enviousjohn posts videos on PbNation
enviousjohn is reppin' sidebar 4 life
enviousjohn has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai83 View Post
Actually it does, but it’s not magic...

Increasing muscle mass increases you basal metabolism

For every pound of muscle you add, you burn ~50 more calories a day at rest
That's such a myth it's hilarious.

Think about it- if you added 10 pounds of muscle, that means just sleeping for 24 hours straight you would burn an extra 500 calories. 20 would be 1,000, and so on and so forth.

I'm 6'5" and 180 pounds, 4.8% body fat. You're telling me that if I shot up to NFL level (230 pounds, let's say), that I would need ~4,500 calories a day just sleeping? Complete B.S.

Do some research. Muscle doesn't burn off nearly that much. It makes you look better, and it makes you a lot stronger, but it doesn't pack nearly that much metabolic punch.

Reducing body fat is all about metabolic control... you want to avoid insulin inconsistencies. The reason you're getting advice such as "eat 5-6 times per day" is because doing so helps keep you metabolism burning all day long, thus preventing you from entering a catabolic state. Let's say, for instance, that including activity your daily calorie expenditure is 2,700 calories, and you consume 350 calories/meal for a total of 2,100 calories per day. Your deficit is 600 calories. On top of that, your insulin levels remain largely the same throughout the day and your metabolism is still going strong. Getting your 2,100 this way is much more efficient than getting 2,100 calories by just eating a large pizza once a day. You're still promoting fat gain and storage that way. Your body recognizes that it's only getting one meal, and as such burns away the 700 or so it needs at that time and stores the rest as fat. Same reason distance running doesn't help you shed fat.

Lift weights 3-4 times per week and do HIIT every day. Do your best to boost your metabolism via diet.

I lost close to 100 pounds and almost 30% body fat, and I did it through trial and error. I became bulimic, I starved myself, I tried one meal per day... I did everything. The only thing that works is a sensible diet and good training. Also, don't go overboard. I love how I look now but I payed a steep price. Enjoy your life every step of the way... you'll succeed. Check the quote in my sig, that helped me through a lot.

If you or anyone else has fat loss questions, or questions regarding anything else, feel free to PM me. I obsess over this stuff, I know quite a bit.

-John
Old 10-09-2008, 07:59 PM #46
Pbman42

Pbman42 is for the Gunfight
Pbman42 supports Pev's Paintball
Pbman42 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Since you are interested in working out in the gym try super setting. It is a great way to build muscle and it also works fat off pretty quickly. Plus, that extra muscle does take more energy for your body to maintain...
Pbman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:16 AM #47
MikeSantor
Wub Wub Wub

My personal opinion, from most important to least.

-Proper diet.
-Proper nutrient timing.
-Ephedrine/caffeine.
-Proper ANAEROBIC workouts.
-3 tsps of organic applecider vinegar mixed with 8 ounces of water before any high GI meals.
-Thermogenic supp
-Green tea.

MikeSantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:18 AM #48
MikeSantor
Wub Wub Wub

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviousjohn View Post

Think about it- if you added 10 pounds of muscle, that means just sleeping for 24 hours straight you would burn an extra 500 calories. 20 would be 1,000, and so on and so forth.

I'm 6'5" and 180 pounds, 4.8% body fat. You're telling me that if I shot up to NFL level (230 pounds, let's say), that I would need ~4,500 calories a day just sleeping? Complete B.S.

Do some research. Muscle doesn't burn off nearly that much. It makes you look better, and it makes you a lot stronger, but it doesn't pack nearly that much metabolic punch.

Reducing body fat is all about metabolic control... you want to avoid insulin inconsistencies. The reason you're getting advice such as "eat 5-6 times per day" is because doing so helps keep you metabolism burning all day long, thus preventing you from entering a catabolic state. Let's say, for instance, that including activity your daily calorie expenditure is 2,700 calories, and you consume 350 calories/meal for a total of 2,100 calories per day. Your deficit is 600 calories. On top of that, your insulin levels remain largely the same throughout the day and your metabolism is still going strong. Getting your 2,100 this way is much more efficient than getting 2,100 calories by just eating a large pizza once a day. You're still promoting fat gain and storage that way. Your body recognizes that it's only getting one meal, and as such burns away the 700 or so it needs at that time and stores the rest as fat. Same reason distance running doesn't help you shed fat.

Lift weights 3-4 times per week and do HIIT every day. Do your best to boost your metabolism via diet.

I lost close to 100 pounds and almost 30% body fat, and I did it through trial and error. I became bulimic, I starved myself, I tried one meal per day... I did everything. The only thing that works is a sensible diet and good training. Also, don't go overboard. I love how I look now but I payed a steep price. Enjoy your life every step of the way... you'll succeed. Check the quote in my sig, that helped me through a lot.

If you or anyone else has fat loss questions, or questions regarding anything else, feel free to PM me. I obsess over this stuff, I know quite a bit.

-John
Agreed to an extent. but what having more muscle and being leaner will do is give you much greater insulin tolerence when you eat any high(er) GI meals. So there are a few other reasons why having more muscle helps with keeping off/burning fat.
MikeSantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:02 PM #49
flarkey25
Raging Weasel

Quote:

-John
Hooray!!! Another person in here who isn't a complete moron! Congrats on your weight loss and even better that you did it the right way!

I hereby give this man permission to give people advice about nutrition.
flarkey25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:25 PM #50
Turb0 Negr0
golfwang

Quote:

-John
Haha why have you never posted in the weight training thread before?

Got any pics of this 6'5" 4.8% body fat? no homo
Turb0 Negr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:25 PM #51
kai83
Mega Moderator

Annual Supporting Member
kai83 is a Mega Moderator
kai83 is a Supporting Member
kai83 is BST Legit
kai83 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
kai83 is Immortal
I guess I am a compelte moron, sorry

I should burn the books I have making these claims ( they arent sourced)

I'll stop posting now
kai83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:13 PM #52
Turb0 Negr0
golfwang

lulz
Turb0 Negr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:34 AM #53
enviousjohn

enviousjohn owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
enviousjohn posts videos on PbNation
enviousjohn is reppin' sidebar 4 life
enviousjohn has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0 Negr0 View Post
Haha why have you never posted in the weight training thread before?

Got any pics of this 6'5" 4.8% body fat? no homo
Haha, mostly because I think about this stuff all the time, so the 'nation is kind of like a mental break for me.

Also, didn't notice we had a fitness section until recently

I'll get some pics later on today if you want, I'm not home at the moment but when I am I'll snap some for ya'.

And Kai, don't worry, I used to believe that too. It doesn't make sense though, and lots of highly accredited studies have disproved it... muscle does burn off MORE calories than fat, but not nearly that much.

**edit- I've gotten some PM's asking for advice, but a lot of people seem a little shy to ask or a little hesitant. Please, DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK FOR ADVICE OR HELP. I will not judge you, I will not think your question is dumb, and I will always help to the very best of my abilities. I admire anybody willing to inquire about bettering themselves, so please, please, please do not hesitate to ask.

Last edited by enviousjohn : 10-11-2008 at 10:06 AM.
enviousjohn is offline   Reply With Quote