Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-09-2008, 07:37 PM #1
cakecakecake

Losing Weight thread.

I know there's a lot to losing weight. But can somebody give me a basis to it. I heard Cardio is good and the diet is the most important part. Also say im fat, would I have to lose weight first and then gain (a significant) muscle mass or can I go straight from being heavy to it? How should I lift too? Should I eat a diet like guys who are trying to bulk up?
cakecakecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2008, 07:41 PM #2
autococker06
zamboni eh

You should do a ****ton of cardio and eat good food.
A lot of people have muscle under the flab, so theres a good chance you will have some definition once you drop the fat. But cardio burns muscle as well.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:42 PM #3
i rock the ion
rather be lifting

Eat good and lift weights/cardio
i rock the ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:42 PM #4
enviousjohn

enviousjohn owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
enviousjohn posts videos on PbNation
enviousjohn is reppin' sidebar 4 life
enviousjohn has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Read what I posted in the "What do you recommend to cut body fat" thread. PM me with any further questions.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:06 PM #5
Worr, the wee tot. (Banned)
WTF am I reading?!

There's not a lot to losing weight. There's one big thing - taking in a slight deficit of calories - and three keys to that:

1.) Eat right
2.) Lift weights to build muscles to increase the number of calories you metabolize at rest
3.) Do cardio, High Intensity Interval Training especially, to get rid of the fat on top of the muscles

easy
Worr, the wee tot. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:27 PM #6
Turb0 Negr0
golfwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
I know there's a lot to losing weight. But can somebody give me a basis to it. I heard Cardio is good and the diet is the most important part. Also say im fat, would I have to lose weight first and then gain (a significant) muscle mass or can I go straight from being heavy to it? How should I lift too? Should I eat a diet like guys who are trying to bulk up?
A lot of people are totally against this route but I am a strong believer of the low carb method. While it is not the best method if you are looking to add muscle, it gives you fast results in terms of weight loss which is obviously what you're looking for. Shoot for under 100 grams a day, specifically in the morning or peri-workout, and just up your protein and healthy fat intake a bit
Turb0 Negr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:58 AM #7
flarkey25
Raging Weasel

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by autococker06 View Post
You should do a ****ton of cardio and eat good food.
A lot of people have muscle under the flab, so theres a good chance you will have some definition once you drop the fat. But cardio burns muscle as well.
Yeah, but if all you do is eat less and do a "****ton of cardio" you're going to burn just as much of that muscle as you do fat. Afterwards, if someone were to take a picture of you with your shirt off and nothing to compare you to in the background, you'd look almost exactly the same. Your ratio of fat to muscle will remain relatively constant and you'll look almost the same, you'll just occupy less space. Not to mention the hormonal cascade that will follow that will lead to decreased fat oxidation. You're pretty much telling your're body it's expected to do a lot of aerobic work with little energy, so it will strive to hang on to energy stores while it can. In other words, you're an idiot and shouldn't be giving anyone advice.

If you want to lose weight and look good in the end, you need to be lifting weights. Don't listen to stupid people who tell you to lift high reps with light weight, because those people don't have a ****ing clue what they're talking about and just heard that from a friend or some other ******* who didn't know what they were talking about.

The more effort you put into lifting, the more it will demand from your body and the greater it will be forced to adapt to that demand. Lifting hard and heavy will not just adds slabs of muscle to you, and you won't gain muscle you don't want to gain and end up looking bulky. Eat a balanced diet of protein, carbs and fat that adds up to 2000-2500 Calories a day, do some sort of weight training 3 times a week and 2-3 days of cardio. Cardio doesn't have to be running for an hour or 3 miles, and I actually recommend against it due to the impact on your knees and other hormonal responses to long distance, long duration aerobic exercise.

Force your body to keep the muscle it has by letting it know that it needs it. If you're moving around heavy things on a regular basis, you're body will "believe" that it has to do this in order to survive, and as such will make sure it keeps or adds muscle when it can. If you only run around a lot, it will see it doesn't need much muscle to do the things it's required to do to survive, so it will use them as energy.

Don't really worry about cutting away fat and then adding muscle. Here's what I recommend to pretty much everyone trying to lose weight, regardless of their goals.

Full body training 3x a week in a circuit fashion.
for example:
Stiff leg dead liftx8
Bench pressx8
Rowx8
Squatx8
Shoulder pressx8

Repeat this circuit 4 times with a 90 second rest in between. Take as little time between lifts as possible. I find using dumbbells for this usually works a lot better for beginners because it's easier to move quickly from one lift to another and takes less equipment. Use a weight that challenges you, do not make this an easy aerobics-looking routine. Then just go out and get some activity for 30-60 minutes on the days you don't lift. Jogging, swimming, jump rope, interval training, strongman-inspired cardio, etc. I guarantee if you get your diet in check and do this you'll be extremely pleased with the results.
flarkey25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:29 PM #8
JoJoTheWhale
Always nice to meet a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarkey25 View Post
Yeah, but if all you do is eat less and do a "****ton of cardio" you're going to burn just as much of that muscle as you do fat. Afterwards, if someone were to take a picture of you with your shirt off and nothing to compare you to in the background, you'd look almost exactly the same. Your ratio of fat to muscle will remain relatively constant and you'll look almost the same, you'll just occupy less space. Not to mention the hormonal cascade that will follow that will lead to decreased fat oxidation. You're pretty much telling your're body it's expected to do a lot of aerobic work with little energy, so it will strive to hang on to energy stores while it can. In other words, you're an idiot and shouldn't be giving anyone advice.

If you want to lose weight and look good in the end, you need to be lifting weights. Don't listen to stupid people who tell you to lift high reps with light weight, because those people don't have a ****ing clue what they're talking about and just heard that from a friend or some other ******* who didn't know what they were talking about.

The more effort you put into lifting, the more it will demand from your body and the greater it will be forced to adapt to that demand. Lifting hard and heavy will not just adds slabs of muscle to you, and you won't gain muscle you don't want to gain and end up looking bulky. Eat a balanced diet of protein, carbs and fat that adds up to 2000-2500 Calories a day, do some sort of weight training 3 times a week and 2-3 days of cardio. Cardio doesn't have to be running for an hour or 3 miles, and I actually recommend against it due to the impact on your knees and other hormonal responses to long distance, long duration aerobic exercise.

Force your body to keep the muscle it has by letting it know that it needs it. If you're moving around heavy things on a regular basis, you're body will "believe" that it has to do this in order to survive, and as such will make sure it keeps or adds muscle when it can. If you only run around a lot, it will see it doesn't need much muscle to do the things it's required to do to survive, so it will use them as energy.

Don't really worry about cutting away fat and then adding muscle. Here's what I recommend to pretty much everyone trying to lose weight, regardless of their goals.

for example:
Stiff leg dead liftx8
Bench pressx8
Rowx8
Squatx8
Shoulder pressx8

Repeat this circuit 4 times with a 90 second rest in between. Take as little time between lifts as possible. I find using dumbbells for this usually works a lot better for beginners because it's easier to move quickly from one lift to another and takes less equipment. Use a weight that challenges you, do not make this an easy aerobics-looking routine. Then just go out and get some activity for 30-60 minutes on the days you don't lift. Jogging, swimming, jump rope, interval training, strongman-inspired cardio, etc. I guarantee if you get your diet in check and do this you'll be extremely pleased with the results.
Nice post.

A buffalo because they're dumb as ****." -Amperage
JoJoTheWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:39 PM #9
mechanix901234
iammechanix901

lifting weights burns fat too...so it ok to go on and start lifting weights.

your gonna have to monitor everything you eat and get pretty constant throughout the day. BUT you have to eat good stuff not just cram crap in your mouth every 3hours. You want your body to go into a mode where it knows its gonna have food coming in, not saving everybit of fat it can cause it thinks its starving (your body is smarter than you). So what you eat is probably %70 of gettin rid of that fat, you also need to hit the gym hard

id recomend supersetting numerous things like

pullups
deadlift
squat
pushups

each should be performed with no rest between sets until you have finished each excercise, then take 2min and do it over again...do each 3x10. This is hard as balls

do soemthin simple like that and you will feel it
mechanix901234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:02 PM #10
JoJoTheWhale
Always nice to meet a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanix901234 View Post
lifting weights burns fat too...so it ok to go on and start lifting weights.

your gonna have to monitor everything you eat and get pretty constant throughout the day. BUT you have to eat good stuff not just cram crap in your mouth every 3hours. You want your body to go into a mode where it knows its gonna have food coming in, not saving everybit of fat it can cause it thinks its starving (your body is smarter than you). So what you eat is probably %70 of gettin rid of that fat, you also need to hit the gym hard

id recomend supersetting numerous things like

pullups
deadlift
squat
pushups

each should be performed with no rest between sets until you have finished each excercise, then take 2min and do it over again...do each 3x10. This is hard as balls

do soemthin simple like that and you will feel it
THe guy said he is fat what makes you think he do pull ups and push ups ?

A buffalo because they're dumb as ****." -Amperage
JoJoTheWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:59 PM #11
WorldStrike
PBN's Dick

WorldStrike supports Bob Gurnsey
WorldStrike posts videos on PbNation
WorldStrike has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
WorldStrike has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
What makes you think he's not willing to at least try?
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
WorldStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:02 AM #12
OrbitalDeath127
whitewashed

OrbitalDeath127 is playing at Living Legends V
OrbitalDeath127 is an NCPA player
OrbitalDeath127 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarkey25 View Post

for example:
Stiff leg dead liftx8
Bench pressx8
Rowx8
Squatx8
Shoulder pressx8

Just adding on to flarkey's post...

Another thing is to do more compound exercises and not to worry too much about isolation exercises. The sample routine from flarkey is very nice as it covers the full body and it implements pushes and pulls for multiple planes. I'd also add chin-ups to that, but if you're weighing 300lbs, I doubt you can really do any of those, so I'd probably substitute that with pull-downs. At this point, you need not be focusing on such specific muscles. When you eat, eat in 2-3 hour intervals but don't be stuffing your face each time you eat. Eat just enough to keep your body from being hungry, but don't make yourself feel full either. Breakfast should be your biggest meal and DON'T skip it.

Oh and this is a personal thing but I'm sure others here will agree, but I like to stick to free weights and tend to stay away from machines. The only times I will use a machine is for pull-downs or for calf raises on the smith machine.
OrbitalDeath127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:23 AM #13
Cheap
Zesty

I think it can sometimes be helpful not to be too obsessed with weight, but rather how you look in the mirror or how your clothes fit. You'll lose weight with diet and exercise, but you'll gain weight with muscle gains, so, depending on how much you want to lose and how much muscle you gain, you might not end up losing that much weight overall but you'll look a lot better.
Cheap is offline   Reply With Quote