Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-07-2008, 08:36 PM #1
pauly boyy

need someone to critique my routine.

so i need someone to critique(spelling?) my routine.

monday-
chest & tris.
chest- flat bench 6x10
incline bench- 6x10
decline- 5x10
then to finish it off i either warm down or do a few sets of DB presses.

triceps-
dips-5x5
french press- 6x10
VERY close grip bench 5x5
tricep pull downs- 5x8

wednesday- back biceps
back- deadlifts. i usually pyramid up. doing 6x8
pull ups,chin ups- 5x5
lat pull downs- 6x8
BB rows-6x10
DB rows-6x8

biceps-
concentration curls. usually 6x8 or 10
BB curls 5x8 or 10
preacher curls 6x8
EZ bar curls.- 6x8

friday-legs,shoulders,and traps.
legs-
squats- i usually warm up with 160 and work up from there. 160,175,185,190,200, etc.... usually 1 set for each. the set consists of 6-8 reps. until i get to the heavy stuff. 245+.
leg press - once again pyramid up.
leg curls - 6x8
leg extentions- 6x8

shoulders-
arnie presses.
rows.

traps-
shoulder shrugs

saturday- abs and core.

critique(spelling) and lmk what you think! i dont over train because the next day i usually feel fine. and its been working pretty well for me.
THANKS!
pauly boyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:51 PM #2
undirected (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly boyy View Post
so i need someone to critique(spelling?) my routine.

monday-
chest & tris.
chest- flat bench 6x10
incline bench- 6x10
decline- 5x10
then to finish it off i either warm down or do a few sets of DB presses.

triceps-
dips-5x5
french press- 6x10
VERY close grip bench 5x5
tricep pull downs- 5x8

wednesday- back biceps
back- deadlifts. i usually pyramid up. doing 6x8
pull ups,chin ups- 5x5
lat pull downs- 6x8
BB rows-6x10
DB rows-6x8

biceps-
concentration curls. usually 6x8 or 10
BB curls 5x8 or 10
preacher curls 6x8
EZ bar curls.- 6x8

friday-legs,shoulders,and traps.
legs-
squats- i usually warm up with 160 and work up from there. 160,175,185,190,200, etc.... usually 1 set for each. the set consists of 6-8 reps. until i get to the heavy stuff. 245+.
leg press - once again pyramid up.
leg curls - 6x8
leg extentions- 6x8

shoulders-
arnie presses.
rows.

traps-
shoulder shrugs

saturday- abs and core.

critique(spelling) and lmk what you think! i dont over train because the next day i usually feel fine. and its been working pretty well for me.
THANKS!
Why so many sets on some of those days with so few reps? It's kinda pointless to do a 5x5 for one exercise (assuming you're doing a true 5x5 routine and ramping up weight) and then do 6x10s immediately before and after for nearly the entire rest of the routine. Also, doing a 5x5 for pull-ups doesn't make a lot of sense because they're bodyweight (unless you're talking about weighted pull-ups obviously) and the idea of a 5x5 is to ramp up the weight from light in the first set to a certain percentage more than your previous max in a given exercise by the last set. If it's a bodyweight pull-up, you're not doing any ramping, and bodyweight pull-ups (along with push-ups, proper crunches, etc.) are an exercise that can and arguably should be done over relatively few sets (4-5 or less per workout typically) but with many reps (20+ per set).

Also - no dedicated calf exercises? Is that leg press lever or free weight? If it's lever I would just nix it altogether, you're already doing squats (assumedly) with a barbell or at least a power rack or Smith, which is infinitely better than a lever leg press.

Why only arnies and rows for your shoulders? You definitely should train every muscle group evenly and you've got at least 3-4 exercises for each of the others per day of training. Try mixing it up...for one of my shoulder days on my split (it's a 4-day alternating 5x5 so it's a little different) I alternate between arnies and military presses, and also do lateral raises and rear delt rows. My other day is front delt raises, more lateral raises, and rear lat raises. Keeps it interesting and helps me focus on one of my weakest areas.

Why only one day for ab/"core"? You should be doing your abs at least twice a week...personally I do abs and some "core" exercises (like dragon flags) every other day, along with push-ups, pull-ups, and calf presses.
undirected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 PM #3
pauly boyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by undirected View Post
Why so many sets on some of those days with so few reps? It's kinda pointless to do a 5x5 for one exercise (assuming you're doing a true 5x5 routine and ramping up weight) and then do 6x10s immediately before and after for nearly the entire rest of the routine. Also, doing a 5x5 for pull-ups doesn't make a lot of sense because they're bodyweight (unless you're talking about weighted pull-ups obviously) and the idea of a 5x5 is to ramp up the weight from light in the first set to a certain percentage more than your previous max in a given exercise by the last set. If it's a bodyweight pull-up, you're not doing any ramping, and bodyweight pull-ups (along with push-ups, proper crunches, etc.) are an exercise that can and arguably should be done over relatively few sets (4-5 or less per workout typically) but with many reps (20+ per set).

Also - no dedicated calf exercises? Is that leg press lever or free weight? If it's lever I would just nix it altogether, you're already doing squats (assumedly) with a barbell or at least a power rack or Smith, which is infinitely better than a lever leg press.

Why only arnies and rows for your shoulders? You definitely should train every muscle group evenly and you've got at least 3-4 exercises for each of the others per day of training. Try mixing it up...for one of my shoulder days on my split (it's a 4-day alternating 5x5 so it's a little different) I alternate between arnies and military presses, and also do lateral raises and rear delt rows. My other day is front delt raises, more lateral raises, and rear lat raises. Keeps it interesting and helps me focus on one of my weakest areas.

Why only one day for ab/"core"? You should be doing your abs at least twice a week...personally I do abs and some "core" exercises (like dragon flags) every other day, along with push-ups, pull-ups, and calf presses.
yeah you do make a great point about many things. yes they are weighted dips. yes i do calfs, i squat with a barbell and freeweights. same with the leg press. for the core and abs i dont really need to work. since i have swim practice 2 times a day.(3500 yards in the morning and 4500 yards after school)
i switch it up for my shoulders with military presses and stuff. ive played around with my routine and found that this one has been working pretty good for me.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:21 PM #4
pauly boyy

im also having a hard time bulking up.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:23 PM #5
undirected (Banned)

Quote:
Bulking up as in gaining muscle or gaining weight in general? If it's the former, try taking in 500-1500 more calories of CLEAN FOOD than your maintenance level per day and hit a 5x5 routine for a while. If you don't gain muscle mass from that you've got more serious issues.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:24 PM #6
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Thats because you aren't eating enough.

Also, your doing way too much isolation work, 2-3 exercises specifically for the triceps/biceps is enough, not 4-5. Also, do flat bench ever chest, alternate between incline/decline, and add some sort of pec fly/cable crossover.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:17 PM #7
pauly boyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
Thats because you aren't eating enough.

Also, your doing way too much isolation work, 2-3 exercises specifically for the triceps/biceps is enough, not 4-5. Also, do flat bench ever chest, alternate between incline/decline, and add some sort of pec fly/cable crossover.
im eating enough. i get in about 2500-3000 calories a day. and im gonna try and cut down the work from 4 to 2. and see what happends.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 PM #8
undirected (Banned)

Quote:
im eating enough. i get in about 2500-3000 calories a day. and im gonna try and cut down the work from 4 to 2. and see what happends.
2500-3000 calories/day =/= bulking dude, unless you happen to weigh 85 pounds. If you're really busting your *** in the gym and eating 500-1500 more calories than your maintenance level of CLEAN FOOD you will see results
Old 10-07-2008, 10:49 PM #9
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

Quote:
If you were eating enough you would be gaining weight, either fat or muscle, but you WOULD be gaining. Your not special, theres no special reason why you are finding it hard to gain weight other than THAT YOU AREN'T EATING ENOUGH.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:14 PM #10
Raw157
Carpe diem

Ya gotta eat big to get big

I think your routine is sold, but has a few to many sets per muscle group.
if you look at your biceps, you will be hitting thoes when you do pull ups then you go into curls, break it up, and do one or the other switch on and off. You don't want to over train.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 PM #11
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw157 View Post
Ya gotta eat big to get big

I think your routine is sold, but has a few to many sets per muscle group.
if you look at your biceps, you will be hitting thoes when you do pull ups then you go into curls, break it up, and do one or the other switch on and off. You don't want to over train.
Hes doing them on the same day, which is fine, and "overtraining" isn't nearly as common as you seem to think it is.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 PM #12
Raw157
Carpe diem

Disagreed on the over training.
Especially with people new to lifting. They want results now and will beat their muscles to hell and back, and only get weaker.

The only reason I was saying that he should be wary on the curls and pull ups, is because chances are one will suffer due to the other. Curl more or less depending on what order your routine goes in.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:20 PM #13
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw157 View Post
Disagreed on the over training.
Especially with people new to lifting. They want results now and will beat their muscles to hell and back, and only get weaker.

The only reason I was saying that he should be wary on the curls and pull ups, is because chances are one will suffer due to the other. Curl more or less depending on what order your routine goes in.
Biceps are NOT targeted with pullups. They are a secondary muscle group, pullups mainly work your back, but yes, your biceps get hit alittle. If he gets plenty of rest days, which it looks like he does, THEN HE IS NOT GOING TO OVERTRAIN HIS BICEPS.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:26 PM #14
pauly boyy

man its just so hard. every time i sit at the dinner table, i eat untill i feel like puking. and its a ****ty feeling. and the only supp im on is whey. and im not new to lifting. well not really. about a year now. havent been doing it like some other people for 10+ years, like my dad for example, he used to be a bodybuilder when he was youonger.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:29 PM #15
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

Quote:
man its just so hard. every time i sit at the dinner table, i eat untill i feel like puking. and its a ****ty feeling. and the only supp im on is whey. and im not new to lifting. well not really. about a year now. havent been doing it like some other people for 10+ years, like my dad for example, he used to be a bodybuilder when he was youonger.
Eat 5-6 meals a day. A breakfast consisting of ~800-1000 calories, and then spread about 2500 calories evenly throughout the rest of your meals. If you gain too much fat, lower it by 500 calories, if you don't gain anything, up it by 500 calories. Then play around with it until you start making nice steady progress.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:32 PM #16
pauly boyy

Quote:
Eat 5-6 meals a day. A breakfast consisting of ~800-1000 calories, and then spread about 2500 calories evenly throughout the rest of your meals. If you gain too much fat, lower it by 500 calories, if you don't gain anything, up it by 500 calories. Then play around with it until you start making nice steady progress.
i think thats what the problem is. i dont eat to much for breakfast. im just not hungry in the morning. ill probably eat 2 bagels,2 eggs and some bacon. IF im lucky.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:34 PM #17
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

Quote:
i think thats what the problem is. i dont eat to much for breakfast. im just not hungry in the morning. ill probably eat 2 bagels,2 eggs and some bacon. IF im lucky.
The first thing you are going to have to learn if you want to make any sort of decent progress is that you are going to have to FORCE yourself to eat, for awhile until your stomach and the rest of your body get used to your new routine.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:39 PM #18
pauly boyy

Quote:
The first thing you are going to have to learn if you want to make any sort of decent progress is that you are going to have to FORCE yourself to eat, for awhile until your stomach and the rest of your body get used to your new routine.
yeah i get what your saying. it sucks so bad though. i love to eat! but to a certain point. cuz every meal i eat(about 5 a day) i eat untill i feel sick to my stomach. and im just shoveling down anything i grab. im on a dirty/clean bulk right now so maybe i need to put in more clean and take out some dirty.
if this was BB.com i would rep you.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:44 PM #19
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

Quote:
yeah i get what your saying. it sucks so bad though. i love to eat! but to a certain point. cuz every meal i eat(about 5 a day) i eat untill i feel sick to my stomach. and im just shoveling down anything i grab. im on a dirty/clean bulk right now so maybe i need to put in more clean and take out some dirty.
if this was BB.com i would rep you.
Just keep packing down all the clean food you can, and since your young, don't stress dirty food TOO much. Also, you could get a mass gainer, as they are really calorie dense, so that should help you increase your caloric intake.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:58 PM #20
pauly boyy

Quote:
Just keep packing down all the clean food you can, and since your young, don't stress dirty food TOO much. Also, you could get a mass gainer, as they are really calorie dense, so that should help you increase your caloric intake.
yeah i was looking into mass xxx from gnc. i can get stuff for free since my friends sister is a manager there.