PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-07-2008, 12:24 AM #1
Jaywire
Professional Condom

Joining the Army

I've been in the process of joining the Ohio Army National Guard for the past few months. I have done EVERYTHING, but I'm stuck at MEPS. I keep failing that damn BMI percentage by like .5%, and they round it up to a whole percent as per guideline. I've been working like CRAZY, sit ups like crazy every night and crunches. I have a big neck which works to my advantage in the BMI or "tape test".

I'm not a total fatty, not at all. Just a little extra on the waist like some of us had/may have. I've increased water consumption, cut out soda and fast food, cut carbs down. It's really frustrating. I want this real bad, and I'm slowly losing hope. What else can I do to get the waist off? Thanks in advance guys.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of rice, I shall fear no Civic; for Torque art with me; Thy rod and Thy piston, they comfort me.
Jaywire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:28 AM #2
underdog_153

i dont know much about losing weight but dont loose hope. i was told i couldnt join the marines for three years in a row tried a few times a year and finally they let me in. dont loose hope
Old 10-07-2008, 12:59 AM #3
Cerealkillerzpb
U.S. Army MP

Cerealkillerzpb is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
The Army National Guard was the best choice I've made.

Once you pass MEPS, you will be so proud of yourself.

Also, Get those recruits in, work yourself up to a E-3 before you start Basic.

East Coast Army
Cerealkillerzpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:07 AM #4
Aero$mitty
Ef. Em. El.

I had the same problem when I joined the military. I weighed 285 pounds when I first weighed in, and my max weight for my height was 206. 206 for my body type is pretty hard, but I had no other choice. I was "blessed" with bad genes. My neck is normal, but I've got "love handles". Even when I was in the Army at 195 pounds and in the best shape of my life, with a nice toned 6 pack and all, I still had love handles. Even if I was under my weight limit, I wouldn't pass the tape test.

The way I did it was weight watchers. You're going to **** yourself, but get ready for this. I lost 85 pounds in 10 weeks eating taco bell, mcdonalds, kfc, burger king, in and out, anything I wanted, lol. With NO, thats right, NO exercise until I started getting to around 215. Obviously I did my own thing, as you're supposed to have a balanced diet with all the vegetables and that ****, but the basic concept still works universally.

You get a certain amount of "points" per day, based on your body weight. There are two books you can buy from a weight watchers store. One is the "dining out" book, which has the full menus of just about every restaraunt out there, and the points value of everything on the menu. The other is a "complete foods" book, with basically an entire grocery store listed in it.

So, for my weight, I would get, say, 35 points a day. I could have a bowl of cereal in the morning for 5 points. A footlong subway sandwich for lunch (with no cheese or mayonaise) for 10 points. That's 15 points for breakfast and lunch and look how much you ate. Then you've got 25 points left for dinner. I could get an entire big mac meal from Mcdonalds and still be under my points limit for the day.

Seems a little off at first, but my entire family and most of my friends have done it and all lost weight. Me at 85 pounds. My brother lost 30 pounds. My mom lost 75 pounds. My grandparents each lost 20 pounds, and so on and so forth. It's not a drastic change, but you still get to eat foods you normally like and you lose weight.

The best thing is it's not a "carb diet" or "peanuts and water" diet or whatever the hell else is the fad this week. You can take the healthy eating habits you learn and go anywhere and still be able to eat sensibly and lose weight. I did it the stupid way eating junk food. If you actually do it the right way and eat a balanced diet, youre that much healthier.

www.weightwatchers.com
When in after times I died.
PSN: BLUNT_TRAUMA_117
Aero$mitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:08 AM #5
travis2k2rf

travis2k2rf is a Supporting Member
Well, coming at this from a purely physical fitness point of view, CRUNCHES ARE GOING TO DO JACK **** FOR LOSING WEIGHT.

It's very good that you have started to clean up your diet. Get rid of all the crap - candy, pop, fast food, chips, etc. Start taking in vegetables, lean meats, and some good carbs - oatmeal, whole wheat pasta or bread, sweet potatoes, etc. On top of cleaning up your diet, you need to cut some calories. Start taking in no more than 2000 calories per day and see if you start losing weight. If you start dropping pounds and still have the energy to lift, run, etc., then stay right where you are at in terms of calories.

Now, you won't get their entirely on diet alone, but it is the more important part of the equation. The other part is lifting, cardio, etc. Like I said before, crunches will get you no where with body fat percentage, but keep up your running, crunches, and push-ups to improve your pt score. In addition, start lifting a couple times a week. I would recommend Monday/Wednesday/Friday if you can. Do a routine something like the following:

3 sets of 10 reps for every lift
Keep rest between sets to a minimum (45sec to no more than 90sec)

Deadlifts
Military Press
Squats
Lat pulldowns or regular old pull-ups
Bench
Rows

That will hit your major muscle groups and by keeping your rest shorter, you will keep your heart rate up, thus burning some more calories.

travis2k2rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:42 AM #6
Jaywire
Professional Condom

Thanks for all the advice; really helpful. I'd like to clarify losing inches from the waist is the most important thing right now, while weight is next. I know you can't lose inches without weight, but you can lose weight AND inches. That's why I'm doing the crunches and such. I'll use all the advice and I thank you ALOT!

Yea, though I walk through the valley of rice, I shall fear no Civic; for Torque art with me; Thy rod and Thy piston, they comfort me.
Jaywire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:40 AM #7
travis2k2rf

travis2k2rf is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaywire View Post
Thanks for all the advice; really helpful. I'd like to clarify losing inches from the waist is the most important thing right now, while weight is next. I know you can't lose inches without weight, but you can lose weight AND inches. That's why I'm doing the crunches and such. I'll use all the advice and I thank you ALOT!
I understand what you mean, you don't care about losing weight so much as you care about your measurements.

The problem with that is that you cannot "spot reduce." Meaning that doing cardio will not eliminate fat only on your waist, in fact that is probably the last place it will eliminate fat since it is the most readily available fat storage place for males. Same thing goes for crunches, targeting your stomach with crunches does not magically reduce fat in that location. It makes you better at crunches, but that is about all it does.

Also, the more muscle you have, the more fat your burn. So, buy lifting weights and building muscle, your body will naturally be burning more fat. The way you would lose size but not weight is by replacing your fat with muscle mass, again a result of lifting weights.

Just work at though, it will come with time. Good luck man, I hope to join up some day too, it's been a life long desire to experience the military. I just have to get the balls to say **** my engineering career and do it.

travis2k2rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:38 PM #8
JackH (Banned)
13/f/cali

JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
In my personal opinion, the best way to actually lose weight quickly, is by running and swimming along with a balanced diet. Or do it the cheater way and simply burn oodles more than you're taking in.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote