Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008, 12:34 PM #1
pballer182
Is On A Cruise
 
pballer182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta
Knee Injury: advice please

Hey, last friday I was playing football (wrap up, not tackle, no pads) with some friends and while diving for a catch, I landed on my knee, jamming it into my chest. I had done this a few times before (not this game, but previously in soccer playing keeper) and thought nothing of it. It felt like I just stretched out my hammie and quad so I shook it off but decided to lay off and ref the rest of the game. That night I walked around alot (football game + afterparty) and experienced no pain. The next morning I woke up and my knee was incredibly swollen. I couldn't extend the last probably 20 degrees. So from saturday onwards, I've been icing it every day. Starting monday I've been swimming gently to try and stretch/rehab. I did some research and I believe that I either have a pull or a meniscus. I read that meniscus tears are caused by lateral/twisting movements. I did neither of those. I am going to the doctor on monday but I was wondering if someone had the knowledge to rule out a torn meniscus.

Thanks
pballer182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2008, 12:37 PM #2
_V_ (Banned)
Secede.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Republic of Texas
Talk to a doctor. Seriously.
_V_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:23 PM #3
pballer182
Is On A Cruise
 
pballer182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by pballer182 View Post
I am going to the doctor on monday but I was wondering if someone had the knowledge to rule out a torn meniscus.
...
pballer182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:28 PM #4
Phal
 
 
Phal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pballer182 View Post
...
Squat down, turn your feet outwards and try to waddle like a duck. This was a guideline that I was told to use when I injured my knee.
Phal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:51 PM #5
_V_ (Banned)
Secede.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pballer182 View Post
...
It was a nice way of saying, its not a good idea to take anyone heres advice over a doctor when it comes to injuries that (potentially) serious.

Last edited by _V_ : 10-04-2008 at 02:56 PM.
_V_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:55 PM #6
Slambert'
not a 2k6er
 
Slambert''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: australia
5 bucks you tore your mcl.
__________________
LAX


Laxtreme

feedback
Pizza slapping club #2
Slambert' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:01 PM #7
pballer182
Is On A Cruise
 
pballer182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta
Ya, I definitely tore my MCL from compressing my knee and I definitely don't have full stability in my knee..
thanks V for your concern, and I would not even think about trying a remedy posted by a PBN member, I was just wondering if anyone had experience in the area.
pballer182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:06 PM #8
_V_ (Banned)
Secede.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Republic of Texas
Im sure you know how to RICE it. Do that and keep it elevated. All that basic stuff.
_V_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:33 PM #9
Phal
 
 
Phal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pballer182 View Post
Ya, I definitely tore my MCL from compressing my knee and I definitely don't have full stability in my knee..
thanks V for your concern, and I would not even think about trying a remedy posted by a PBN member, I was just wondering if anyone had experience in the area.
I hope you weren't calling my post a 'remedy'. It wasn't sarcastic at all, as if you are unable to do that it is generally a meniscus injury.
Phal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:39 PM #10
_V_ (Banned)
Secede.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phal View Post
I hope you weren't calling my post a 'remedy'. It wasn't sarcastic at all, as if you are unable to do that it is generally a meniscus injury.
Talking to me when he said remedy.
_V_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:09 PM #11
Phal
 
 
Phal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Ok just checking haha. I didn't want him thinking I was ****ing around with him or something.
Phal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:44 PM #12
travis2k2rf
 
 
travis2k2rf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NC/VA/??
travis2k2rf is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Talk to an orthopedic doctor and get an MRI, ASAP.
__________________
FEEDBACK:
OLD
NEW

travis2k2rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:35 PM #13
Disarmer
Gig 'em
 
Disarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: College Station, Texas
Disarmer helped look for balloons
Disarmer is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Disarmer has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Disarmer is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by pballer182 View Post
Hey, last friday I was playing football (wrap up, not tackle, no pads) with some friends and while diving for a catch, I landed on my knee, jamming it into my chest. I had done this a few times before (not this game, but previously in soccer playing keeper) and thought nothing of it. It felt like I just stretched out my hammie and quad so I shook it off but decided to lay off and ref the rest of the game. That night I walked around alot (football game + afterparty) and experienced no pain. The next morning I woke up and my knee was incredibly swollen. I couldn't extend the last probably 20 degrees. So from saturday onwards, I've been icing it every day. Starting monday I've been swimming gently to try and stretch/rehab. I did some research and I believe that I either have a pull or a meniscus. I read that meniscus tears are caused by lateral/twisting movements. I did neither of those. I am going to the doctor on monday but I was wondering if someone had the knowledge to rule out a torn meniscus.

Thanks
I've had three knee surgeries in my life, all of which were for my menisci. It's definitely a possibility that you tore one of your menisci... those are very typical symptoms of it (Not being able to extend it all the way).

My last surgery was because my lateral meniscus in my left knee was torn 4 times and somewhat calcified... This time they completely removed it, so now it's bone on bone when I walk/run

Quote:
What are the symptoms of a meniscus tear?
Individuals who experience a meniscus tear usually experience pain and swelling as their primary symptoms. Another common complaint is joint locking, or the inability to completely straighten the joint. This is due to a piece of the torn cartilage physically impinging the joint mechanism of the knee.

The most common symptoms of a meniscus tear are:

* Knee pain
* Swelling of the knee
* Tenderness when pressing on the meniscus
* Popping or clicking within the knee
* Limited motion of the knee joint

Last edited by Disarmer : 10-04-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Disarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:03 PM #14
pballer182
Is On A Cruise
 
pballer182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta
I'm a duck! Or at least can waddle like one. I'm hoping its not a meniscus tear but I'm still going to go to the doc on monday.
Thanks
pballer182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump