PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-27-2008, 03:29 AM #1
ShadowPhantom
A Real Life Joker

Joining the Corps

I realized the other day that I'm going nowhere in my life, and I'm slowly headed back down the path of very bad decisions I was on a year back, and after thinking about it I decided that I need to do something that will put my life back on track and I decided on joining the Marine Corps. I know it will make me into a different and better person than I am and I think it is the best decision I can make. My friend who's in the Marines is having his recruiter call me this weekend sometime and after I get my GED I'll be signing up for the DEP to get into shape mentally and physically for boot camp. Are their any current or past members of the Corps that can offer any words of advice or wisdom? Let me know if I am truly making the right decision with this.
ShadowPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:47 AM #2
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
did you look in the stickies or in the Marine Corps Support thread?

good luck with the whole GED thing my office wouldn't take you and with a large chunk of people coming in to the Marines in CA you might not get it either w/out 15 credits in college.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
justavillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:15 AM #3
j-easy

even so 15 credits isn't too bad, that's only one semester full time. if that's preventing you should get the credits and do it. a semester of community college can be a good experience too.
j-easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:08 AM #4
Arlion
Boner In Sweatpants

Arlion is playing at Living Legends III
Arlion owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Arlion supports Team VICIOUS
Arlion is for the Gunfight
i believe, (still talk to a recruiter) but any and all marine corps recruiters will not take a GED. its a mandatory high school diploma.

ST: We are Doctors and Space Professors.
Arlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:38 PM #5
ShadowPhantom
A Real Life Joker

Actually they do take GEDs, my friend talked to his recruiter and they just take in a certain amount. But I'm going to take some JC classes before going in because I've heard it's either 12 or 24 units will get you E2 or E3 after training, better pay.
ShadowPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:51 PM #6
justavillain
I've got nothing

they take GED's but most offices only get about 2 or 3 slots a quarter so if you're lucky they'll get you in since most offices have such a low number most of the time they just say sorry if you do 15 or 12 or how ever many credits they want at a college they'll take you b/c you'd be a college student then not a high school drop out.

Also I don't know the number of credits but you get E2 you can have a Doc. and go in to the corps enlisted side and only have a max of E2 unless you're the Co's honor grad and then you'll get E3.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
Old 09-27-2008, 11:05 PM #7
TPB_Bubbles
Veritas Vos Liberabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavillain View Post
did you look in the stickies or in the Marine Corps Support thread?

good luck with the whole GED thing my office wouldn't take you and with a large chunk of people coming in to the Marines in CA you might not get it either w/out 15 credits in college.

Yea, because one semester of college makes you so much smarter then just having your GED....

"Upstream, small redirectons of flow, downstream everything shifts."
TPB_Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:15 PM #8
wdpballa4life
WDP for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlion View Post
i believe, (still talk to a recruiter) but any and all marine corps recruiters will not take a GED. its a mandatory high school diploma.
wrong,i have alot of fellow marines with GED's, you just need a waiver
JOY WAS ROBBED Miami Effect RIP
pi.Moon---Oh no he didant (as i snap my fingers three times), he went there and played the Pegasus card.
Terror Wolf ---your super agg 1 of 100 Jonas Brothers SuperEgo is still an ego bro.

Sgt in the USMC
wdpballa4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:05 PM #9
justavillain
I've got nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPB_Bubbles View Post
Yea, because one semester of college makes you so much smarter then just having your GED....
it's not saying your smarter it's saying that instead of being a HS drop out you're now a college student

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdpballa4life View Post
wrong,i have alot of fellow marines with GED's, you just need a waiver
True you can get a waiver but most offices only get so may of those waivers. The office I worked in wouldn't take anyone with a GED and they only had 2 slots. Hell even one of the recruiters there was a GED waiver. But like I said you do a semester full time at a CC and then join the corps.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
Old 10-03-2008, 09:55 PM #10
underdog_153

put alot of thought into it. make sure its what you want casue once you sign and you decide you dont want it anymore you are gonna ****ing hate life
Old 10-03-2008, 10:15 PM #11
Eric99BL

has been a member for 10 years
Eric99BL is a Professional paintball player
Just make sure its what you want to do.. I always wanted to be a Marine since I was little, just because of the first to fight, Bad *** Infantry.. But your first year is going to be very hard.. your senior Lance Corporals are going to be total dicks and you will be cleaning, and doing all of the ***** work.. it's kind of a way of passage, I joined because I wasn't going anywhere in life and I wanted a change, I feel like im ready for school now... Ive been in 3 1/2 years and I know the boot and senior marine life.. I honestly don't do anything anymore since Ive gotten back from my second deployment, and I have my Grand Boots.. if you have a wife or girlfriend realize also its going to be really hard on them and it might not work out

Your first year will suck, but I'm a grunt so I don't know the other side

Last edited by Eric99BL : 10-03-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Eric99BL is offline   Reply With Quote