First time, any tips?
It will be a small private party.

parkrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 PM #2
FBHS RAINMAN
Σπ Sigma Pi

don't be scared of getting shot. be fair and don't act like you control everything.
FBHS RAINMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:10 PM #3
greenvertboy

greenvertboy owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
greenvertboy is reppin' sidebar 4 life
greenvertboy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
greenvertboy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
^^^ i disagree. unless they are experienced players you MUST control everything. when they're inexperienced reffing is more about safety than fair play.
greenvertboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:50 PM #4
p8ntball@ddict
CT's bestest butt buddy.

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntball@ddict is a Moderator
p8ntball@ddict is a Supporting Member
p8ntball@ddict is playing at Living Legends V
p8ntball@ddict supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntball@ddict is a PbNation video producer
p8ntball@ddict supports our troops
p8ntball@ddict has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvertboy View Post
^^^ i disagree. unless they are experienced players you MUST control everything. when they're inexperienced reffing is more about safety than fair play.
Good points. You'll want to make sure they use barrel condoms when not on the field and make sure they keep their masks on when they're supposed to. Occasionally you'll get the one that likes to take his mask off on the field.

Other than that just help them move along and you should be good.

Edit: I'm going to bump this over to the Ref forum to get tips straight from the guys who know best.

tldr; provide links.

Last edited by p8ntball@ddict : 10-03-2008 at 11:02 PM.
p8ntball@ddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:01 AM #5
I_Keeps_It_Real
the Pro Tech of Paintball

depending on your field there may be a rather steep learning curve, don't expect to know everything you need to know, or run everything perfect your first or second week. stick with it and you'll do fine. the head refs are there to make sure you are doing your job

and if a player hits you just remember its part of the job description so dont call em on it unless it you know it was on puropse.

good luck
I_Keeps_It_Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:28 AM #6
lamorte
mod a la mode

Annual Supporting Member
lamorte is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
lamorte donated to help Peyton Trent
lamorte supports our troops
watch the other refs and see how they handle situations. since it's your first day i'd expect whoever put you in there isn't letting you take over this group by yourself with no reffing experience at all right? play it by ear and if this group is inexperienced expect to take a few shots. wear a brightly colored top so you are distinguishable from the rest of the players.

✩☾ habitually nocturnal ☾✩
lamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:49 AM #7
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

if it's a private rental party then safety is your first priority. watch for barrel condoms and masks most importantly. explain all the safety rules, know them by memory. you will get a lot of questions so be prepared to answer them. enforce all the safety rules, but don't be a dick about it. remember, they're there to have fun, not play competitive paintball. rental parties are the people you want to have a great time and come back to your field. rental parties are the ones that bring in the money for the field because they have no equipment and must more money at the field for the rental package.

i highly doubt you'll have to watch for cheating too much. most first-timers don't like getting hit so they'll probably call out because of the sting of being hit. still though, i've seen it happen. just don't be a dick about it and remind them of the rules and enforce them as instructed by the manager of the field or the head ref.

and you're going to get shot. especially if it's in the woods. every time i ref in the woods i'll be walking along to another area and some trigger happy player will by lying in a bush ready to shoot anything that walks by. of course i'm the guy that walks by and ends up starting down the barrel of a tippmann 98 rental with a customer screaming "SURRENDER SURRENDER SURRENDER!!!!!" and they shoot me anyways. it happens, lol.

Last edited by Milky Spore : 10-04-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Milky Spore is offline   Reply With Quote