Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-29-2008, 09:00 PM #1
thecatonater
poop

thecatonater is playing at Living Legends III
thecatonater owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
bending lexon

i love lexon grips. but i like wrap around grips better. would it be possible to bend lexon grips
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2008, 09:10 PM #2
paintballer50505
DONT TAKE THIS AVATAR

has been a member for 10 years
lexan doesnt really like heat all that much. To much heat and you will start seeing white spots (moisture in it boiling) and it will eventually start to bubble. their are certain ways to do it but its not a process that you will be able to easily do diy.

acrylic on the other hand doesnt mind bending when you heat it. Its not as strong as lexan but it holds up to scratching better and its easier and more forgiving to work with

Sponsored By:
TopGun Paintball
KEE / empire
BigEvilOnline
FloryPB
paintballer50505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:10 PM #3
worrchild387 (Banned)
i luff teh gurl scowtz

worrchild387 helped look for balloons
if u heat them up without turning them black. ur a genious...
worrchild387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:49 PM #4
legion99999
Old school

They make a strip heater designed for lexan...u can bend it but its rare to get it without some defelection
Old 09-29-2008, 10:07 PM #5
dementedgerbil
0_o

your better off using a larger piece, milling out your shape, sanding down with 2k grip then heating the surface just a bit to make i shine again. ive done it with other plastics im pretty sure it will work with lexan as well

Hotrod Red Karni pump F/S
dementedgerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:17 AM #6
Leafy
Uses the man pedal

Leafy helped look for balloons
lexan and sand paper ten not to agree, it kind of melts and balls up and looks crappy. and dont put rubbing alcohall on it it disintigrates.
Gear Bag Sale!

Feedback More Feedback
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:30 AM #7
dementedgerbil
0_o

w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
lexan and sand paper ten not to agree, it kind of melts and balls up and looks crappy. and dont put rubbing alcohall on it it disintigrates.
Quote:
Re: Polishing Lexan
by Newguy on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:24 pm

Here's how bike screens are fixed.
You need:
1. 400 & 1200 grit sandpaper
2. Soft cotton buffing wheel that fits to a variable speed drill
3. A burnishing compound stick (Jewelers rouge) Builders warehouse sells a pack of 5 or 6 for polishing different kinds of metal.
4. Autosol scratch remover.

1. Start with 400 grit sandpaper & sand in one direction. Try only to sand the area where you want to get rid of the scratches.
2. Once removed or in the case of really deep scratches, have repaired them to a more acceptable level, take 1200 grit sandpaper and sand again. After a while, the plastic will start to clear again. If you continue, you'll eventually polish until it's quite clear and smooth.
3. Fit buffing wheel to the drill. It's important to have a variable speed drill, so you can let the buff rotate slowly~ otherwise the fast spinning buff will burn the perspex. Apply some of the burnishing stick to the pad. It comes with instructions, but remember that you don't have to apply tooo much. Then apply some to the screen.
4. Start to polish the screen. Again, only polish in one direction and do not alternate directions. Go carefully & slowly and you'll see the scratches magically start to turn clear & smooth. Continue carefully until the scratches are gone. Some deep scratches are not possible to remove but you can still improve them a lot.

Hope this helps.

Newguy
Heard about flying

taken from http://microlighters.co.za/viewtopic...242d797#p82846

this is the type of method i was refering too. lexan should hold up just find so long as you use kiddy fingers. go slow, dont let materials build up etc....
i believe a similar method is used to make the lexan ul grips and ive used similar processes with fantastic results on several types of polymers. with more dense/harder plastics ive used light heat on a very well sanded(2k+) surface to just get that extra sheen, but for what you are looking to do polishing would be the easiest route unless you want to create a mold and make a set of grips from scratch

Hotrod Red Karni pump F/S
dementedgerbil is offline   Reply With Quote