Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 02:14 PM #22
berserker19
 
 
berserker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rampart Range
berserker19 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter109 View Post
He could get an rotc scholarship in which they pay for everthing in exchange of you serving as an officer for 6 years.
Those scholarships are limited and only the best ( I mean really good students) can get them. By only doing 3 years enlisted, you can get college paid for, and don't need to do all that ROTC bull****. I would never want to be an occifer anyways it is the crappiest job ever.
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2008, 04:12 PM #23
Impyclipse
Honest
 
Impyclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: fds
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter109 View Post
He could get an rotc scholarship in which they pay for everthing in exchange of you serving as an officer for 6 years.
Or you could just go easy mode like me, Let the army pay for your college, after you get out, be 2nd LT. then within a year a promotion to captain, and within 5, a promotion to major, all with a Degree under your belt.
__________________
Modern day warrior mean mean stride.
Impyclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:25 PM #24
udflyer (Banned)
kByram
 
udflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 937
capt a year later? major 5 years? somehow i doubt that
udflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:30 PM #25
Snake13
Escaped Rakkasan
 
Snake13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Snake13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Sometimes you get more out of college when you get some real world experience first, god knows I would get alot more out of it now then when I went right out of high school.

I might go after my 5 years are up if I decide that going career isn't for me, or I might go anyways so I can become an officer.
Snake13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:37 PM #26
berserker19
 
 
berserker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rampart Range
berserker19 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impyclipse View Post
Or you could just go easy mode like me, Let the army pay for your college, after you get out, be 2nd LT. then within a year a promotion to captain, and within 5, a promotion to major, all with a Degree under your belt.
lol you missed an entire rank.. so I guess you could go 01 to 03 automatically.. and in a year at that. And then become a field grade officer with 5 years in. High speed
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:39 PM #27
peacocked
SKunner
 
peacocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Woodstock,GA
 has been a member for 10 years
I just signed up on monday, looked at all the branches and picked the Navy. I am not leaving untill May which has good and bad reasons. Good luck on what ever you decide.
__________________
Last edited by peacocked : Today at 06:51 PM
UNITED STATES NAVY

2011 Elemental Ego
DM11- LIME/WHITE
[XBL- ChubbyKhan]
PSN: Destroyerpants
peacocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:12 PM #28
WarCzar
 
 
WarCzar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
WarCzar is a Supporting Member
WarCzar is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacocked View Post
I just signed up on monday, looked at all the branches and picked the Navy. I am not leaving untill May which has good and bad reasons. Good luck on what ever you decide.
Did you pick a rate? and if so which one? Ive been Navy for just over 10 now, it has its ups and downs just like all of the others. good luck, recruit training isn't near what it used to be just remember is all a head game.
__________________
"Yeah...about that."


We Sleep Safe In Our Beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm. - George Orwell
WarCzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:19 PM #29
JackH (Banned)
13/f/cali
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ft. Polk
JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impyclipse View Post
Or you could just go easy mode like me, Let the army pay for your college, after you get out, be 2nd LT. then within a year a promotion to captain, and within 5, a promotion to major, all with a Degree under your belt.
are you ****ing kidding me... I've been in the Army as an officer for going on 10 years, and I'm just now up for captain, and I have a masters and two combat tours under my belt
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:30 PM #30
theubernoob
phx to nyc
 
theubernoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: AZ and nyc
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
Those scholarships are limited and only the best ( I mean really good students) can get them. By only doing 3 years enlisted, you can get college paid for, and don't need to do all that ROTC bull****. I would never want to be an occifer anyways it is the crappiest job ever.
qft.

don't become an officer through rotc
__________________
K∏ΣPBalumni
theubernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:37 PM #31
Wilson1
Kramerica Industries
 
Wilson1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Northern Westchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
Those scholarships are limited and only the best ( I mean really good students) can get them. By only doing 3 years enlisted, you can get college paid for, and don't need to do all that ROTC bull****. I would never want to be an occifer anyways it is the crappiest job ever.
I just gotta say they were practically throwing these scholarships at me in the spring. I declined and I am happy that I did. Even after sending in my declination, I received offers again from the schools that I had declined. I was pretty much just an average student in HS, nothing too special.

That is just my experience. It also seems like to get the most out of ROTC, SMP or just being in the Guard/Reserves is the way to go. That's just what I've seen, but ROTC is not for me and I will be enlisting after this semester.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hencereverie
i had to go into my bro's room once to get some xbox game and when i walked in he was naked in his bed humping two pillows...........bad memory
Wilson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:35 PM #32
MetDTHero
Raising the Knife
 
MetDTHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego
MetDTHero supports our troops
No offense, but I caught wind of the scholarships are hard to get.

Really the Army ones are the easiest to get out of all of them.

Out of my kids who want to get a service scholarship, and are the "questionable" ones I send them to the Army, and they get them.
__________________
OSST SS Biggest Moderation Failure Ever
PbN: Where Marines have to be civil human beings
Jeremy Salm sniper school graduate
The GDT>PbN
Gogged Paintball

MetDTHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:23 PM #33
Invision360 (Banned)
Marine Corps
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia *804*
i'm enlisting too... i got 430 more days... i am aiming at my MOS to be a scout sniper or infantry.
Invision360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:24 PM #34
MetDTHero
Raising the Knife
 
MetDTHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego
MetDTHero supports our troops
9 times out of 10 you will go in as infantry and have to go through the sniper indoc and get accepted.

talk to NorKalKilla
__________________
OSST SS Biggest Moderation Failure Ever
PbN: Where Marines have to be civil human beings
Jeremy Salm sniper school graduate
The GDT>PbN
Gogged Paintball

MetDTHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:42 PM #35
Impyclipse
Honest
 
Impyclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: fds
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackH View Post
are you ****ing kidding me... I've been in the Army as an officer for going on 10 years, and I'm just now up for captain, and I have a masters and two combat tours under my belt
No, I'm not kidding you. If I could scan what I signed, I would. Basically the only thing that voids it is me getting sent home in a box.
__________________
Modern day warrior mean mean stride.
Impyclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:48 PM #36
berserker19
 
 
berserker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rampart Range
berserker19 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impyclipse View Post
No, I'm not kidding you. If I could scan what I signed, I would. Basically the only thing that voids it is me getting sent home in a box.
Sorry, there is no way you can make captain in a year.. and you know there is another rank between 2nd LT and CPT right? I guarantee you whatever you signed doesn't guarantee any promotions, because nothing like that exists. I would believe jack considering he is actually an officer in the Army..
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:09 PM #37
JackH (Banned)
13/f/cali
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ft. Polk
JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
Sorry, there is no way you can make captain in a year.. and you know there is another rank between 2nd LT and CPT right? I guarantee you whatever you signed doesn't guarantee any promotions, because nothing like that exists. I would believe jack considering he is actually an officer in the Army..
ya I call shenanigans... shortest time span for 2nd LT to Captain I know of is 4 years... I disobeyed some morally unjust orders in Iraq in '03 and got in some poo poo, so I'm just now going through the promotion board for CPT, should be getting promoted here in the next couple weeks...
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:41 PM #38
FluffyMumkins
mluffyfumkins
 
FluffyMumkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Warrensburg
If you are intelligent and your parents were under the impression you were going to go to college: go to college. No sense in joining the military on a whim.
__________________
|Al Jazeera English|Foobar2000|SurplusRifle|AmmoEngine|RFC|Tag's Trance|DailyTech|NOAA|MetaCritic|
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.". - Benjamin Franklin
paintballbum - get out of here with your logic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
FluffyMumkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:03 AM #39
Snake13
Escaped Rakkasan
 
Snake13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Snake13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyMumkins View Post
If you are intelligent and your parents were under the impression you were going to go to college: go to college. No sense in joining the military on a whim.
Not to sound like a broken record here, but I went to college instead of signing up after high school for pretty much the same sentiment, and I count it as one of the biggest mistakes of my life. Don't go to college unless you want to go to college, otherwise you're either gonna piss away the money of whoever is paying for it, or you'll make it through but not learn a damn thing from it.

I agree on not joining on a whim though.
Snake13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:52 PM #40
JackH (Banned)
13/f/cali
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ft. Polk
JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake13 View Post
Not to sound like a broken record here, but I went to college instead of signing up after high school for pretty much the same sentiment, and I count it as one of the biggest mistakes of my life. Don't go to college unless you want to go to college, otherwise you're either gonna piss away the money of whoever is paying for it, or you'll make it through but not learn a damn thing from it.

I agree on not joining on a whim though.
I started enlisted.. then realized I could go to college for freeeeee
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:00 PM #41
Invision360 (Banned)
Marine Corps
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia *804*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetDTHero View Post
9 times out of 10 you will go in as infantry and have to go through the sniper indoc and get accepted.

talk to NorKalKilla
after Parris Island, South Carolina, I would go to sniper school at Quantico, Virginia (next door to me pretty much) to get my MOS...
Invision360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:35 PM #42
BEAN93x
originally a 2k6'er
 
BEAN93x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: WV east pan handle :(
what would be the best thing to do if i wanted to experience combat and rack up "points"?
__________________
old feedback +1/-0
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=275606
R.I.P. BEAN93

I LOVE MY EGO
BEAN93x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump