Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-14-2008, 03:16 PM #1
Cantide

mask could use some ear padding

I bought a So Phat digi mask from actionvillage. Never saw one locally so this would purchased w/o any idea how it would fit.
After taking it out to play on the weekend, I found that I could use some
sort of padding around the ears. Because it's hard plastic there, it's pressing/rubbing uncomfortably against my ears.
It's possible my head is larger than the mask will fit nicely. Also, I found I couldn't quite get it adjusted as comfortably as the old JT spectre it replaced. The foam padding was possibly a little too soft too. I'd prefer it to be a bit more stiff, maybe in future they will offer a stiffer foam.

In terms of using the mask at my local field, I'm pretty happy with it.
I like the forehead protector on since I often take shots there but it would be nice to be able to put on a smaller sized visor along with the head protection.
I found it was kinda hard to play since it was so bright w/o a visor. I guess the other option is to go with a tinted lens.

ALL the shots that hit me on the mask broke. Not one bounce in about 6 mask shots. I think I could use a little more jawline cover as well. One ball hit right on the edge of the mask and got me pretty good on the jaw.

View is pretty good and can't complain. The single pane lens already has a few scratches on it, not sure if they were there when it arrived in the mail or not.
Also, action village lists the mask with a thermal lens so it was disappointing to have the mask arrive and have only a single pane lens. Can't fault Save Phace since their website notes that you get 2 single pane lenses. I do wonder why they chose the yellow lens as the 2nd lens. It's pretty much useless to me and I could really have done with a darker tinted lens for playing in bright light.

At the end of the day, the mask worked pretty well although I did have to make small fit adjustments almost every time I took it off and put it back on.
It's not quite as comfy as my JT Spectre and offers less coverage. Having never owned anything else, I can't really compare it to the other higher end masks though.

Clean up was great. I just removed the foam, lens and head strap then dunked it in a bin with warm slightly soapy water and a quick rinse. Beautiful. Being able to clean the foam separately is awesome. Every mask company should do this.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2008, 01:48 AM #2
Newtybar

The yellow tint should help you in bright light conditions while still allowing you high visibility and ability to see detail. I am pretty sure that is why they included a yellow one.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:40 AM #3
The Real Boss
Save Phace CFO

Cantide - We appreciate you taking that leap of faith to purchase a product that you had not tried yet and we especially appreciate your review and the constructive feedback.

As far as the lens goes - if you'd like, you can send back your yellow lens with your warranty card and we will send you a dark smoked thermal lens. All of our So Phat Series masks are supposed to come with thermal lenses. Your box must have been packaged incorrectly. The yellow lens is good for low light conditions as it actually brightens things up - it would be good for playing on an overcast day or in the early evening or early morning.

As far as the jawline coverage goes, you might try wearing the mask a little lower on the nose - this helps some people to get more coverage on the jawline as well as increase their field of vision. See the pictures at the end of this thread: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2787493.

Thanks again for your time and efforts here in our forum. We truly appreciate your feedback!!

Last edited by The Real Boss : 08-15-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:57 PM #4
Cantide

Wow, this is a pleasant surprise to see after returning from vacation.
I'm definitely interested in trading my yellow tinted lens for a smoked lens.
I prefer it to be darker than having the yellow lighten up my view. I'm usually playing during the day and darker is good.

Does it matter that I'm in Canada?
I'll be heading down to DC in a week, I can mail out my yellow lens and warrantee card at that time. You'd have to ship it to my house in Canada though.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:04 AM #5
The Real Boss
Save Phace CFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantide View Post
Wow, this is a pleasant surprise to see after returning from vacation.
I'm definitely interested in trading my yellow tinted lens for a smoked lens.
I prefer it to be darker than having the yellow lighten up my view. I'm usually playing during the day and darker is good.

Does it matter that I'm in Canada?
I'll be heading down to DC in a week, I can mail out my yellow lens and warrantee card at that time. You'd have to ship it to my house in Canada though.
That's fine. Just go ahead and send it in and we'll take care of the rest.

Thanks!!
Old 09-02-2008, 03:57 PM #6
akara13
South West PB

akara13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
akara13 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
akara13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
You might want to keep the yellow lens. I play with mine in all the time, I also use the visor instead of the head protector. Also yo never know when you will be playing at dusk or night, I play at night all the time on a well lit field and the yellow lens looks great with my painted mask.