Community Focus

Old 07-26-2008, 11:58 PM #1
proud ion owner

so whats goin on for 09

So whats goin on for 09.

times

FIeld updates

camp update

also is there a set number of people that can play this year?

You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field, it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that you didnt get the girl or that you got a ticket on the way here... your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth... live it... love it
Old 07-29-2008, 11:20 PM #2
custar

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud ion owner View Post
So whats goin on for 09.

times

FIeld updates

camp update

also is there a set number of people that can play this year?
The dates for '09 will probably be announced in August after the Summer Staff Meeting. I also expect an update of field improvements at that time. The camp layout will be decided considerably later and probably by the Chiefs of Staff for each side. The Bunker has imposed a cap of 4,000 the last two or three years, and I don't expect that to change

custar
Sgt Major, Geisterjagers

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
Samuel Adams
Ave Caesar Obama! Tributituri ad moritus te salutant.

Looking for Action Markers Diadem Tanks for sale

Old feedback thread
Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 AM #3
tayloft

Quote:
Originally Posted by custar View Post
The dates for '09 will probably be announced in August after the Summer Staff Meeting. I also expect an update of field improvements at that time. The camp layout will be decided considerably later and probably by the Chiefs of Staff for each side. The Bunker has imposed a cap of 4,000 the last two or three years, and I don't expect that to change

custar
Sgt Major, Geisterjagers
I heard that ramping was going to be banned this year is that true do you know? to a fellow normanite - Or what ever were called lol
Old 07-30-2008, 05:59 AM #4
proud ion owner

whats the point in capping the number of players.

in my eyes this is just losing the field money and dipriving the players of a larger than larger life experience.
]

(please dont take that the wrong way. 4000 still a boatload of people.

You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field, it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that you didnt get the girl or that you got a ticket on the way here... your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth... live it... love it
Old 07-30-2008, 09:29 AM #5
custar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayloft;
I heard that ramping was going to be banned this year is that true do you know? to a fellow normanite - Or what ever were called lol
I believe that is the correct term although I have never liked it much. Since you're from this area, you need to join the GJ's. We have quite a few from this area. We will have some local outings throughout the year, and you would be welcome to join us for those.

I don't think ramping will be banned for '09. Bans on fire modes are usually mandated by the liability insurance carrier, and it seems ramping is generally accepted.

Quote:
whats the point in capping the number of players.

in my eyes this is just losing the field money and dipriving the players of a larger than larger life experience.
That's not a bad question at all, and there are several reasons for the cap. First, finding enough referees for 4,000 players is hard enough. Increasing the number of players increases the number of refs needed, straining an already thin supply too far. Second, part of the experience of OK D-Day is playing on a field of 800+ acres and not being crowded all the time. The size of the field combined with the number of players allows unit-sized maneuvers that would not be possible on a crowded field. For instance, in '06, the majority of the Geisterjagers took a long march around the flank of the Allied assault (1/4 - 1/2 half mile hike through rough terrain) on Colleville and took that flank by complete surprise because we were able to move in secret. Last, year, the Allies made some wide, sweeping moves in terrain that wasn't occupied, showing up unexpectedly. Throwing in this element of maneuver and surprise is part of what separates D-Day and other scenario games from speedball in the woods. Third, most players camp for several days. The facilities and camping area are set up for 4,000 players; larger numbers would cause logistic problems. Keeping the number where it is helps maintain the quality of the experience.

custar
Sgt Major, Geisterjagers

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
Samuel Adams

Old feedback thread
Old 08-01-2008, 12:51 AM #6
proud ion owner

how much is paint there. I heard someone say that they were bumping it up to

$100

Old 08-01-2008, 12:56 AM #7
custar

Quote:
how much is paint there. I heard someone say that they were bumping it up to

$100
I strongly doubt the price will be $100 at OK D-Day in '09. Last year, the prices were $65.00 for good paint and $75.00 for premium paint. I can't see paint going up $25.00 per case in one year. Whoever you heard that from is not in the loop on paint prices at this event.

custar
1/1 Geisterjagers

Samuel Adams

Old feedback thread
Old 08-01-2008, 11:21 PM #8
proud ion owner

k

Old 08-07-2008, 06:05 PM #9
scenarioballer121

im new ta dday and was wonderin if burst/full auto was allowed
Old 08-07-2008, 07:22 PM #10
coloradopat

I'm new as well. I just did about 2 hrs of research on it. It looks amazing!! I am definately planning on going this year. I'm thinking the germans. Anyone want to share past experiences or give tips for going your first time. Thanks! Also should you sign up this far in advance?
Old 08-07-2008, 07:24 PM #11
coloradopat

Also i checked the site. Burst and full auto arent allowed. Ramping is?? Im pretty sure.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:06 PM #12
custar

Correct. Due to insurance requirements, full auto and burst fire modes are not allowed. Ramping is. The concern is over someone freezing up on the trigger and continuing to spray fire until the hopper is empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradopat View Post
I'm new as well. I just did about 2 hrs of research on it. It looks amazing!! I am definately planning on going this year. I'm thinking the germans. Anyone want to share past experiences or give tips for going your first time. Thanks! Also should you sign up this far in advance?
Contact me by PM for information on the German side. I don't want this to turn into a recruiting thread for either side.

Some units fill up faster than others. The special forces units almost always fill up first. On the German side, look for the Geisterjagers and the MEK to top out first. The 6th and the Kommandos also bump their heads on the limits for those units. On the Allied side, the Pathfinders and the Airborne usually fill up first. The Commonwealth usually has good numbers, also. Remember there is a minimum age of 15 years for special forces units.

That said, it is best to sign up as soon as you know you will be able to attend. For me, part of the fun of the event is the off-season preparation and hanging with the guys in my unit. The earlier you sign up, the sooner you can become involved in pregame preparations of your unit. Most units will be fairly tight-lipped with non-members until registration in the unit is confirmed.

For a first-timer, you should consider a "line" infantry unit (i.e, 716th Infantrie or 91st Luftlande, 1st ID or 4th ID for Allied) unless you have substantial scenario and big game experience. The field is 800+ acres, and the special forces units are kind of the wild cards for each side. It would be better to become acquainted with the field and how the game is played in a regular infantry unit before jumping into a special forces unit where you may be sent to any or all areas of the field.

In order of importance, a camel back or equivalent hydration system is next in importance only to your mask and well ahead of your marker. Arrive as early as possible; a good part of the fun of the event is hanging with the guys (and in some cases, girls) in your unit. Be prepared for rain. Bring good boots. Become involved with your unit's activities and don't be afraid to try new things.

custar
1/1 Geisterjagers

Samuel Adams

Old feedback thread